Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 3:44:32 AM EDT
I recently received my Bushmaster ARMs SIR flat-top upper with an EOTech 552 mounted on top.  I have read the many post about blurry reticle images, most if not all can be cleared using brightness controls.  I have a question concerning the dot.  Do you guys also see the halo around the dot?  I am wondering if this is part of the blurriness everyone is talking about?  It doesn't matter CQB but in trying to sight at 100yards it is difficult with the halo.  Have any of you experienced this?  Is it a defect or something you learn to live with?  What distances can the EO effectively be used at?  Thanks
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pfa3e45cb4ba81371b6e5abd678974357/fbd2aee0.jpg
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
After adjusting the brightness (if needed) I only see the "halo" when I focus on the dot or reticle.  If I look at the target the halo goes away.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have adjusted the brightness.  At lower settings the halo does decrease.  The dot just doesn't seem crisp enough for good groupings at 100 yards.

I just took the EO off my rifle for some outside sighting; the image seems much more crisp outside.  Maybe it was due to sighting from inside through a window to outside.  Who knows?  Looking at the target as opposed to the reticle also helps.  I guess a little more time is needed with the system a truely evaluate its potential.  What distances do you guys think it is effective?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
nightcargo,

Your rifle looks familiar![:D]

[img]http://a1.cpimg.com/image/DF/0F/19896031-2588-02000180-.jpg[/img]

As far as the EOTech, it sounds like you are still getting used to it.

When using the EOTech do not focus on the dot or reticle.  With both eyes open, look thorough the sight window and focus on the target.  The reticle and dot should just float to the target.  

In my experience the EOTech can easily be used out to 300 yards and I've even read several members here use it at even farther ranges.

The standard front sight post will cover about 5 MOA at 100 yards while the EOTech center dot will only cover 1 MOA.  This will allow for even more precise shots at the longer ranges.  

At 300 yards the front sight post will cover the entire torso of an average man while you could still fit the EOTechs center dot in the same mans head.  Coincidentally if you are using the IBZ or 50 yard zero putting the EOTEch 1 MOA dot at head height at 300 yards will deliver center of mass hits if you do your part.

IMHO, the EOTech's ability at long ranges will only be limted by your vision and shooting ability.  Of course at longer ranges magnified optics such as the ACOG will have an advantage, but that is another thread in itself...[;)]

As far as seeing a halo, I've never had this issue.  Do you know if you have any astigmatism in either eye?  I know astigmatism will sometimes make the red dot optics look funny depending on how you're a looking at them.  Try your other eye and see if you notice any differences.

Also make sure you adjust the brightness level to match your surroundings.  Having it set too high will make it look fuzzy.

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply Yojimbo.  Very familiar setup. I think yours will co-witness better.  The pictures looks like you have a bi-level.  My ARMS#40 doesn't sit high enough for that.  As far as eyes go, I have always had 20/20.  Since I am now 32, I should see a optimologist.  Are you the same jimbo on SIMHQ?  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yojimbo said it all.  There's nothing to add, but I'm a huge EoTech fan so I felt compelled to post .... something.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
nightcargo,

No problem![:D]  

Yes, I have the SIR 50 bi-level on mine and the cowitness is perfect!

Sorry, I'm not jimbo from SIMHQ.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Once you learn to focus properly with the sight, the issues you're talking about go away. i've been using my 552 for a little over a month now and i only rarely try and pull my focus back to the sight causing the out of focus issues you describe.

i've only shot out to 100yrd here, but with the close groups i was getting, i'd be confident engaging a point target out to 300yrd or so. Beyond that, i'd prefer an ACOG to keep my confidence in hitting at 100%.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top