Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
ive decided on the rear sight now i need a scope...

im looking at a couple right now and since im an optics idiot,  i need your help.
one that i saw but know nothing about was the   4x triail scope from clearview.
one is a burris speed dot, and the other is the 30mm ultradot.
are any of these any good??
will i need a mount to make it work w/my buis?
is there one i shold be looking at instead?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
c'mon...

anybody?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got an Ultra Dot 30mm in an eBay auction (that was supposed to be a Tasco PDP2, oddly enough). I shot with it this weekend and compared it to a few other red dots. It worked perfect for about 50 shots, but the recoil on an AR-15 isn't exactly stout. All in all, it seemed to be of much higher quality than the other lower priced brands, but I wish it has the brightness adjustment knob on top instead of on the side. That and the lack of ability to adjust the size/shape of the dot are the only things I can think of that could be better. I was trying my best to criticize the scope, too, as I was deciding if I wanted to keep it or send it back to the guy that auctioned it as a PDP2. I'm definitely keeping it and would probably buy another.

I haven't heard of the 4X Triail scope before, and the only things I've heard about the Burris Speed Dot were bad (wouldn't hold zero). Sorry I can't be of more help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you wanting a scope or a red dot?

At what ranges will be shooting?

What type of AR15 are you using?  (varminter, M4..etc..)

What is your goal for this optic?

And probably most important....what price range are you considering?

As far as that trirail goes, You get what you pay for when it comes to optics.  I live close to Clearview/Centerfire Sytems.  Most of their optics are on the cheap side.  Fine for their AK's that they sell, but I would pass on any of their optics for an AR.  But that's just my feeling about it.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys,

i kinda suspected that about the trirail because of who is selling it.
im looking for something for my a3 dissy.  i will be using it mostly  for plinking and maybe some varmiting, unless wwIII hits.  i guess id want it to be able to go out to 200yds if i wanted it to.
the price range for now is about 100 bucks otherwise id have to wait a while, which im OK with.
lately im thinking about just getting a cheap BSA red dot for now so it dosnt look naked and saving up for an aimpoint.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top