Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/16/2003 2:15:56 PM EDT
I wanted some first hand info on the PEQ-5. Is it worth the expense? Does it work as well as its IR-only cousin, the PEQ-2A?

Any comments are appreciated.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:28:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EdMTV: I wanted some first hand info on the PEQ-5. Is it worth the expense? Does it work as well as its IR-only cousin, the PEQ-2A? Any comments are appreciated. Ed
View Quote
From [url]http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm[/url]
The AN/PEQ-2 Infrared Target Pointer/Illuminator/Aiming Laser has a straight beam of IR energy for aiming, and an adjustable focus IR beam for illuminating. Both sources can be used at the same time. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries that give it continuous power for 10 hours. The PEQ-2 weighs 7.5 ounces, is 6.4" long, 2.8" wide, and 1.2" high. It is waterproof to 66’. The illuminator is good to 600 meters. The pointer on high power has a range of 5000 meters, and 1000 meters on low power. It is mounted on the RAS by means of a rail grabber, and while it may be mounted anyplace the preferred mounting is at 12 o’ clock. The AN/PAC-4C is an IR aiming light, and while it is part of the kit, it has been replaced by the more capable PEQ-2. The AN/PEQ-5 is a visible laser. It is difficult to imagine what this particular item is actually for (I am unconvinced of the tactical viability of a visible laser) and consequently is never used.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2003 4:35:38 PM EDT by DevL]
PEQ-5 is Law Enforcement Only. Are you an LEO? Get an OTAL its better anyway and cheaper too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:00:18 PM EDT
I have it , what do you want to know ? PAQ5-CVL & PEQ2A are as apple and oranges , completely different devices for completely different uses. PP out
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:36:06 PM EDT
I have lots of experience with the PEQ-2A. What I am wondering is whether the CVL is an appropriate adjunct sight for close-in use in urban environments. At work we have M-68s and PEQ-2As on our M-4 Carbines. Most of us also have some sort of surefire white light as well. Experience shows that white light plus M-68s work best in the types of urban operations we have trained for. Hence the question of whether the CVL is a useful adjunct. I am not worried about being sneaky, because it is obvious when we're in the neighborhood. What I want to do is improve my hit probability when shooting reflex fire from odd positions. PincoPella: What do you think of your PEQ-5? Do you recommend it for the situation described above?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:00:07 PM EDT
EdMTV, The only right tasks I see for a visible laser aimer , as the CVL or whatever other model , is when shooting wearing gas mask and in a dissuasive situation , sincerely I do not any advantage in the situation you described. PP out
Top Top