Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 12:40:02 PM EDT
Does anybody have a recommendation for areasonably pricedAimpoint mount for a RRA flattop?

Anybody know if this mount sold by
www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101673 is any good?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That mount looks like a knock off of the KAC forward offset mount.

You only pay for quality once, so buy something from KAC, GG&G or ARMS.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't buy some thing from SOG, the qulaity is pretty cheap. Do what Lumpy told you, buy quality, the mount you use to mount your 300 dollar aimpint should be a quality item.  don't skip on this.

one of owner (Jim) use to run around gun show in Pomona telling everyone he was ex-SF.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For just a little more money than that SOG mount you can get an ARMS#22m68, they even make a cantilever spacer now for forward mounting.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12242[/img]

Wes has good prices. [url]www.mstn.biz[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with "Lumby196" 100%. You can't go wrong with any Aimpoint mount from Knights, GG&G, or ARMS. Especially if your looking for a cantilever style. I've made the mistake in the past and tried to save money on this part or that part. Only to turn around a month or two later and buy what I  really wanted to buy in the first place. Far cheaper in the long run to just buy quality. "Bling" is one thing, your scope mount is another.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, you talked me into an ARMS. Now some more specific questions (for an Aimpoint on a flattop):

1) How high?
2) Single or double rings?
3) Cantilever or straight? Why would I or wouldn't I want a cantilever mount?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay, you talked me into an ARMS. Now some more specific questions (for an Aimpoint on a flattop):

1) How high?
View Quote

Use the full spacer for mounting on the flat top.  The full vertical spacer and the cantilever spacer (pictured above) are the same height, and allow you to co-witness the iron sights.

[img]http://mstn.biz/images/Mounts%20and%20rails/ARMS-22m68sp.gif[/img]

here is the mount without spacers

[img]http://mstn.biz/images/Mounts%20and%20rails/ARMS-22M68.gif[/img]

I borrowed some pics from you Wes...

2) Single or double rings?
View Quote

Aimpoints mount with a single ring (again, see pic above)

3) Cantilever or straight? Why would I or wouldn't I want a cantilever mount?
View Quote

Ive got both the vertical spacer and the Cantilever spacer and I prefer the Cantilever. (it is a bit more expensive, $30 instead of $10)

The Ideal mounting position for a red dot type sight is forward, it allows you to aquire your target more quickly.  The great thing about this mount is that it is so versitle.  You can get the regular spacer now, then later if you feel the need upgrade to the cantilever spacer.  Then if you ever pick up a ARMS SIR or a Swan Sleeve you can take the spacer out completly.  +  this mount will also work on the Trijicon Tripower, if it is ever released.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have pictures of other options?  Such as GG&G or KAC?

Any other recomendations?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also looking to get a Aimpoint for my new flattop.  It will be used on the flattop receiver for now, but I will be replacing the handguards with an SIR set in the future.

If I understand correctly, I need the following:

1 Aimpoint (duh)
2 ARMS#22m68
and 3 A cantilever spacer

Did I follow that correctly or am I totally confused??

Thanks,
Stephen
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT

Any help to my above question would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm also looking to get a Aimpoint for my new flattop.  It will be used on the flattop receiver for now, but I will be replacing the handguards with an SIR set in the future.

If I understand correctly, I need the following:

1 Aimpoint (duh)
2 ARMS#22m68
and 3 A cantilever spacer

Did I follow that correctly or am I totally confused??

Thanks,
Stephen
View Quote

Yes you are correct.  You will need the full spacer to correctly cowitness your front sights.  You can either chose the vertical spacer or the cantilever spacer, both give you the same height, the cantilever spacer allows you to mount the Aimpoint further forward.

If you are planning on getting the SIR very soon you may not want to get the cantilever spacer because you will not need it with the SIR, with the SIR you can mount it as far forward as you need to.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Stephen,
For use with a SIR, you just need the mount, no spacers.

Here is how I have mine.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p510d840c6c3a4749e561ef3dcf1ccb50/fc128888.jpg[/img]

Not the best view in the world. I have a standard ARMS mount for the Aimpoint, and a GG&G Scout rail. This would be the same as using a SIR.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top