Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2003 4:31:00 PM EDT
Newbie here, have had my AR15 for 6 months and just got a new EOTech.  I'm not clear on how to properly zero the EOTech, so any answers to the questions below, as well as helpful pointers, would be appreciated...

Don't know if it matters, but the AR15 is a Bushmaster 16" carbine.  The EOTech is mounted on ARMS SIR #50 Bi-level, also there is a ARMS #40 rear sight installed for BUIS purposes.  I installed the taller .040" front sight post as recommended by Bushmaster when using the ARMS #40.

I plan on zeroing using the 50-yard IBZ method... although I don't have access to a 50 yard range, I do have access to a 200 meter range, and I'm assuming the IBZ will work when zeroing in at 200 meters (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Here are some general questions I have:

Am I supposed to first zero the iron sights "through" the turned-off EOTech?

Am I then supposed to zero the EOTech by aligning the 1MOA dot with the front sight post?

Is the 1MOA dot supposed to sit "just above" the  front sight post while zeroing the EOTech or should the 1MOA dot be covering the tip of the front sight post?

I guess those are my only immediate questions, will probably have more after visiting the range and trying to get things dialed in.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
i have similar set up on my flattop.  I zeroed the arms 40 first, through the EOtech (turned off).  Then turned the EOtech on and zeroed it.  I don't knw about anybody else, but I just sandbagged the rifle and put the reticle on a center mass and shot.  I used both eyes to shoot it, so the front post was fuzzy...out of focus.

The EOtech reticle moves around on the glass screen as your head moves around.  I think zeroing it with the front post will not be accurate...but i may be wrong.  With proper cheek weld and looking through the rear sight at the front sight, the dot in the center of the reticle is halfway through my front post.

I hope this helps...the thing I found about EOtech is it works due to a series of optical illusions.  I shoot it with both eyes open and its very fast.  what i end up seeing is a target with a circle/dot on his chest.  I know it works, I just can't explain it very well.

hope this helps
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks tango_down for the input.

So when zeroing the EOTech do you try to keep the reticle in the center of the screen as best you can... or doesn't it matter?  I mean, if the reticle was in the upper left corner of the screen, would I still be able to properly zero the EOTech?

I guess what I'm confused about is the fact that the EOTech reticle moves around, and it just seems like the reticle would need to be centered on the screen in order to achieve proper zero.  A scope with fixed crosshairs makes sense to me, but the EOTech is throwing me for a loop.

I'll do some experimenting at the range and see what I come up with.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It does NOT MATTER where in the window the reticle is on an Eotech, the point of impact will be where the red dot is.

That is part of the beauty of an Eotech. If your window get's broken or caked with mud or snow, simply move your head to a new spot and fire. POI is still the same.

I have my Eotech zero'd at 50 yds, after trying it at different distances the 50 yd zero worked best for me. POI is not much different closer in and not much different out to 200 yds if you zero it at 50yds.

The Eotech IS a CQB sight, anything out past 100-150 yds [red]depending on conditions[/red] I might use the BUIS instead.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The Eotech IS a CQB sight, anything out past 100-150 yds [red]depending on conditions[/red] I might use the BUIS instead.
View Quote

actually, i find the EOTech to be great at longer distances, due to the fact that the 1 MOA dot does not obscure the target as much.  i've shot mine out to 300 yards, where a 1MOA dot is much easier to aim with than the 6-8MOA wide front sight post.  kind of the best of all worlds for me.
maybe using it along with the BUIS would make long range shots a bit more precise?
anyways, it's a great sight.
just my personal opinion though...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You zero both sights independently.  With a straight on view your red dot will be generally above the front sight.  They are not meant to be used concurrently.  Iron is for backup or longer shots (+150yds or more).  I zeroed in at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
all these guys are right...the EOtech threw me for a loop when I first got it.  Thought I made a big mistake until I realized how FAST you can acquire a target.

I think it is truley awesome to look over the top of your gun and see crosshairs on what you are looking at.  just keep your head over the weapon and you should be fine.  the Eotech does most of the work.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top