Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2003 12:53:02 PM EDT
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and already enjoying it quite much.
Read several excellent pots, some with photos, about the ACOGs and got virtually old on one.

My initial option was the new Tri-Power but I'm under the impression that one will never leave the design bench.

I'm looking for something that allows for quick target acquisition between 0 and 200 yards and can be used virtually against any background and light conditions, on top of my AR-10 A4.

Based on previous posts and photos I'm thinking about the TA44 because its red crosshairs seem to highlight quite well against different backgrounds.

However, I also noticed that there are several ACOGS that are rifle/calibre calibrated.  Is this case of this one?

Any other I should consider?  Why?

Any advice/recommendation very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rossi

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to be shooting at 200 yds max, then any of the compact ACOGs are a good choice. I'm personally not a big fan of the 1.5x ACOGs since my eyes are going and I need more magnification. The Comp. ACOGs are not calibrated for any particular weapon, they have no BDC. If you get a chance, check out the 2x20, it's my favorite.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the advice.
Any preferred 2x20 model?  I could use more magnification also for similar reason.
That's why I'd like something that would provide a very good contrast crosshair x background at any light.

I tought about the Aimpoints but read several posts saying the 2x version sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I think 2x ACOG is the best compromise between eye-relief and magnification. (but doesn't mean its bad or anything) I would use one on any fixed carry handle AR-15. (3x is more powerful and fine, but some people have problems with its short eye relief)

For AR-10...I think you are looking into shooting farther than that since it is .308. I say go for TA11C or TA11E caliberated for .308. I personally think Donut (TA11C) looks better but for precision shooting under 300 yards I think Chevron (TA11E) is better in that regard. After 300 yards, you have to rely on BDC line anyways.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Maverick,

Thanks!

Anything with crosshairs?  Or chevron works better for short distances?  The chevron reticle seemed dimmer than the crosshairs of the TA44.

For farther distances than 200/300 yards I'm planning to get a tactical scope.  Maybe a Leupold 3-10x40 with illuminated reticles or something similar.

My AR has a flatop upper, which makes easy to play with different optics.

Cheers,
Rossi
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Rossi,

After 300 yards, you can't use your main aiming point since the bullet will drop so you will have to use BDC line. So as far as longer range aiming goes it doesn't matter if you get Donot or Chevron. Oh yes and I'm talking about ACOGs with BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept).

Under 300 yards, you will be able to use either Donut or Chevron depending on your .308 ACOG BAC model.

Donut Pros (TA11C)
-Easier to pick up
-Almost doubles as a red-dot (BAC)
-Hallow inside the circle (hence it is called donut) so it doesn't cover your target

Chevron Pros (TA11E)
-Fine aiming point that helps you shoot more accurately under 300~400 yards. (Remember you are using BDC line after that)
-Covers smallest possible amount of your target

This doesn't mean Donut is not capable of fine accuracy, as Mr.new-arguy did 1 MoA group at 300 yards using Q3131A mil-spec M193 ammo and Donut reticule. This just means Chevron gives you a finer aiming point. You can't really go wrong with ANY ACOGs with BAC. It is just your preference but remember if you think you have to use this weapon under 50 yards you are better off going Donut. (TA11C that is)

Now, if you are looking at Crosshair models...you are doomed because there is no .308 model that gives you enough eye-relief. TA11 series are all BAC models hence they don't employ crosshair. TA01B is a traditional TA01 ACOG with built-in .308 BDC. It is a 4x32 model with 1.5" eye-relief, which most of folks don't consider enough for .308's recoil.

Now if I f-ed up somebody please chime in [:D]

(Edited to add - if you want more magnification, you can use TA55A, 5.5x power with approximately 2.15" eye relief calibrated for .308. Heavier and bigger though)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, you messed up man... the groups I shot were [b]*SUB*[/b]-moa!!! [;)] But it wasnt with milspec ammo. It was, however, with cheap Winchester Value Pack ammo. Their 45 gr. HP.

I just got a 2X Comp ACOG from another board member and I cant believe how much eye relief there is. I guess just because I am used to the TA31.

Rossi, I think you are on the right track. 2X Comp ACOG is not calibre or rifle specific in any way. It will work fine on about anything you mount it to.

I think which reticle is largely a matter of prefference and shooting needs. You seem to have a grasp of each ones ups and downs and if your initial choice was the crosshair, I'd go with it...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
There are 4 ACOGs calibrated for .308. TAO1B, TA11C, TA11E, TA55A.

Rule out the TAO1B because it has no BAC feature, and the eye relief is too short for a .308. I got hit in the glasses.

Rule out the TA11C, as its calibrated for mounting on a carry handle/

This leaves the TA11E and the TA55A. The first has BDC to 800m, the second to 1200m. Both are Chevron. The first is 3.5x, the latter is 5.5x. Both would be excellent choices.

Check out a possible group buy on these ACOGs or maybe a nice tactical scope.

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=122&t=189777&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're not planning on shooting past 200 yds, get the compact ACOG. I have the 2x20 with amber triangle, and I love it. The triangle is great for CQB and precise shots. I too don't get to shoot past 200 yds, and my ACOG works great for that. If you don't need the BDC, why get it? If you plan on using the long range capability of the AR-10, then stick with the TA-31, or TA-11, or even the TA-55. If not, the compact ACOGs are what you want. If you decide to go with a long range scope, then you can put the compact ACOG on another weapon. The compact ACOGs are really great. You will not regret buying one.

BTW for all the free advertising we give Trijicon on this board, you would think they would support AR15.com. But that is another issue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Trust me, you'll end up wanting to shoot it farther out than 200 meters.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the posts!

Perhaps I have the wrong expectation from the ACOGs?

I was expecting to get a model that would give me a similar performance/application of an Aimpoint.  That is:
1 - quick target acquisition
2 - long eye relief - red dots are virtually unlimited
3 - very good contrast reticle/target.

My initial idea was getting the Aimpoint but few things made me think again:
1 - ACOGs do not need batteries
2 - Some posts here and in other forums saying the Aimpoints 2X are not good.
3 - Trijicons appear to be better built and more worth the money - is that true?

I really do not plan for going beyond the 200/300 yards range with the ACOG.  For that I plan to get a tactical scope.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I find the BAC crosshair reticles in the Compact ACOG line to not be BAC reticles.  They do not glow to me.  They are only tinged a color and only some of the time.  Completely useless in BAC mode and I find it to have almost TOO fine a reticle that gets lost on cluttered backgrounds.  This is with red or amber reticles.  So make sure you try one in person before you buy it.  They are not BAC for everyone.  I say get the TA11 or a 2X compact triangle, both in red.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top