Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 6:15:51 PM EDT
Hi. I'm concerned with my current zero on my AR. My windage is set all the way to the left. I have tight grouping, and my elevation is fine. I'm worried that when I'm shooting outdoors in excess of 100' that when there's a crosswind blowing to the right, I won't be able to mechanically adjust for it. I did RTFM and started with a mechanical zero. I'm pretty sure it's my eyesight.

I fire from a firm position (nose touching the charging handle). I am NOT cross dominant. Is there anything I can do about this, other than lasic surgery? Any mechanical adjustment, or eye exercises? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:55:21 PM EDT
This situation has been discussed here before. The usual problem is that the front sight base is not indexed correctly. If this is a new rig, you should contact the manufacturer. There have been members here who have fixed the problem themselves, but I don't remember enough to recommend them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 8:12:42 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]
Another problem (one that I had) is the upper receiver could be off center, which means the machine that made it was not indexed correctly. A few tell tale signs are if the upper reciever over hangs the lower a little bit(left or right) or if the gas tube hole is off center. I had that problem and Oly Arms replaced mine after they took a look at it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:49:30 AM EDT
On a quality barrel this is [i]usually[/i] the result of over-torquing the barrel nut. Remove the barrel and torque and boresight per the -23&P. On a barrel purchased off the back of a pickup truck at the local gun show (also known as a FN barrel as "I have no FN idea who made it.") it could be bad bad front sight tower. -- Chuck
Top Top