Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 6:15:51 PM EDT
Hi.  I'm concerned with my current zero on my AR.  My windage is set all the way to the left.  I have tight grouping, and my elevation is fine.  I'm worried that when I'm shooting outdoors in excess of 100' that when there's a crosswind blowing to the right, I won't be able to mechanically adjust for it.  I did RTFM and started with a mechanical zero.  I'm pretty sure it's my eyesight.

I fire from a firm position (nose touching the charging handle).  I am NOT cross dominant.  Is there anything I can do about this, other than lasic surgery?  Any mechanical adjustment, or eye exercises?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This situation has been discussed here before. The usual problem is that the front sight base is not indexed correctly. If this is a new rig, you should contact the manufacturer. There have been members here who have fixed the problem themselves, but I don't remember enough to recommend them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Another problem (one that I had) is the upper receiver could be off center, which means the machine that made it was not indexed correctly.  A few tell tale signs are if the upper reciever over hangs the lower a little bit(left or right) or if the gas tube hole is off center.  
I had that problem and Oly Arms replaced mine after they took a look at it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
On a quality barrel this is [i]usually[/i] the result of over-torquing the barrel nut.  Remove the barrel and torque and boresight per the -23&P.

On a barrel purchased off the back of a pickup truck at the local gun show (also known as a FN barrel as "I have no FN idea who made it.") it could be bad bad front sight tower.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top