Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:14:46 PM EDT
Howdy all,

Time to put a scope (Weaver GS 3-10x40) on my first flatop AR. I'm looking at ARMS #22, Armalite one-piece, or Leupold QR rings to mount it. A quick detach would be nice, but near-zero repeatability is more important to me.

I don't see many (any?) Leupold rings on ARs. Does Leupold make ring that's high enough to be used without an elevated rail? If so, is Leupold a good choice?

Are the ARMS #22 rings worth the extra money even though I'll need the shims too? I've always been impressed by ARMS' products and their rings look pretty darn nice, albiet expensive.

I know the Armalite one-piece is a solid mount. Does it offer good near-zero repeatablity? Whats the best source for one?

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Gil

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:14:17 PM EDT
I have a Leupold mounted in an Armalite mount, good solid mount,proper height and when I remove the mount and reinstall it, were back to zero. I bought it from Quantico Arms in the industry section.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:39:15 PM EDT
Bushmaster Mini Risers, A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img] [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:47:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 7:10:51 PM EDT by G35]
The ASA mount is more BEEFY (more heavy-duty) appearring than the Armalite mount. [url]http://www.gunkits.com/mounts.html[/url] [img]http://www.gunkits.com/supermount2.jpg[/img] I have both the ASA and Armalite mount. I decided to mount my Luepold 6-20x50 scope using the ASA mount because the ASA mount appeared stronger (wider straps). P.S. Although I own both Armalite and ASA mounts, I have NOT YET TRIED the Armalite mount. The Armalite mount is sitting in the closet waiting to be tried.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:10:58 PM EDT
Thanks, guys. That gives me something to think about... Armalite looks like the way to go, especially for the money. Best regards, Gil
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:41:29 AM EDT
Be sure to consider eye relief as well as height - the Picatinny rail on a flat-top may not let you mount the scope far enough forward for a comfortable position, especially in prone. I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings. There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering. This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (a rather long scope) and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Wiegand Combat rings (available from Brownell's) - they were inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.
Top Top