Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 12:38:39 PM EDT
Docter Optic /TA01(NSN) combination: 3.5 or 7 MOA dot? Any suggestions/advice?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the military/depth certified unit was 7 MOA only.  Is that true or not?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I only use the docter under 100 yards or so I prefer the 7MOA version.  For longer shots you will be using the Acog anyway, so covering too much of your target is not an issue.  The big bright dot is fast close in.  Both the standard and the "mill spec" sight are availible in both 3.5 and 7 MOA; but good luck finding a mill version.  The standard version works even when compleatly flooded.

Edit to add:
Although this may seem counterinuitive, the dot seems smaller the closer you have it to your eye.  At arms lenght the dot seems bigger than when its inches in front of your face.  Since this sight was designed foor use on hand guns the 7 MOA rating may be based on an arms lenght sight picture.  What I'm saying is that 7MOA does not seem as big as it sounds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
So 7MOA is the way to go? No other opinion by anyone?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
In my knowledge the 7MOA is the only one MIL-SPEC .
PP out
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a DOctersight 3.5 MOA in.  Mounted on the forward end of the upper, the dot is fairly small looking.  I am going to try a 7MOA too.

FWIW, The doctersight is a nice looking, well made sight.  Time will tell about durability...

Clay
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
It all depends what kind of shooting you will be doing and at what ranges.
Yes, it is true the milspec one is only 7 MOA.
The milspec is a ripoff.  The difference is that the front of it has a small lens in front of where the beam is projected and there is a gasket on the bottom.
Both versions are waterproof but the non milspec version has to be dried out if it gets wet but will still work.
I've been using Docter for a few years with zero problems.
[img]http://www2.c3junkie.com:6721/uzi/mini_mk9k_drum.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.c3junkie.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.docteropticsusa[/url]has a 3.5 MOA milspec version listed. Amphibian are you shure the only difference in the mill version is the lense and gasket?  Victor had a picture of one on his SPR  posted here and I could clearly see that the sight was a three piece affair with the lense bieng seperate from the projection box and both mounted on base plated.  It looked like that the sight was adjusted by moving the whole projection box on the base plate, instead of just moving the L.E.D. with set screws.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top