Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2003 9:18:08 AM EDT
My unbalanced eyesight makes it difficult for me to get scope recticles displaying in the truly vertical/horizontal when installing/re-installing a scope. For those scopes I have mounted correctly, I want to make an index mark on the bottom rings and on the scope so when switching scopes around I just have to match the index marks and tighten the rings. I'm wondering what some might use for making the index marks.It has to be reasonably durable but not permanent, like scratches or punch marks, which would lower resale value.
You would also want marks to be sharp and
well defined. Is anyone using something, like maybe some kind of marker pen, that works ok?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
How about using masking tape to mark off a narrow hash mark - then fill in with light colored nail polish? Should be durable and removable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply. It should work well, and you could have different index marks of different color when different rings are going on the same scope.
I had assumed there would be legions of shooters using some tried and true system that somehow I'd never heard about.
For people with a bunch of guns, they usually have many more guns than scopes, so scopes can get switched around alot, especially the higher performing ones. So non-permanent yet durable index marks can save a lot of time. If I were a scope and rings manufacturer, I'd have permanent index marks, on the scope belly longitudinally, to match marks on the bottom rings.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to an arts and crafts store and buy a silver paint pen. Yup, it's a pen that writes in silver paint. Use regular Scotch tape to mask your lines on the rings and scope, and 'write' your lines in.  The paint comes off with a quick swipe of acetone. I use it to mark my scope screws to indicate if they're backing out.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top