Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/25/2003 11:36:01 PM EDT
What do you get for the extra money that you pay for the nsn? Is it just the lens covers and the mount? Is there any difference in between the optics? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:18:05 AM EDT
TA01NSN has backup iron sights (kind of useless and shoots way too high and to the right, the front blade needs to be drifted to the left), TA51 flat top adapter. TA01 has a full line red reticle (completely lit by tritium in low light), TA01NSN's reticle is only center lit in low light. The reticles also look different.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:33:09 AM EDT
Also the TA01 is calibrated for 55grn from a 20 inch with carry handle. The NSN is calibrated for 62 out of a 14.5 inch Flat top. But see the tacked thread above for tips on how to zero to compinsate for differnet configurations. Also people are starting to mount Dot sights on their NSN's. Mounts to do this on a TA01 are a little harder to come by.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
inkabee, Thats what I am kicking around. Either to go with the TA01NSN with the Doctor optic or the TA-11D. I also have heard many say the sights on top of the NSN were worthless. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:38:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 11:38:56 AM EDT by Boom_Stick]
I got to look through an NSN at the fun show last weekend. I looked through the scope then transitioned to the backup irons and they were extremely difficult to develope a sight picture with. They are way to close to your face and have such a small sight radius I dont think it's possible to accurately hit anything beyond 20 feet. I could imagine the Dr Optic making a vastly HUGE improvement to that back-up-sight idea for the NSN. I think I would prefer the Dr Optic mounted on the front of the scope though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 12:53:32 PM EDT by inkaybee]
why work 40 Did you read this? [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=161045[/url] and this[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=160172[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:18:27 PM EDT
Inkaybee, I have read both of those posts and they gave me allot to think about. I'm not worried about the ruggedness of the NSN DR. setup and I think that moving my head up and down to see both rectals would be like you said. I would get used to using the Dr. Optic at close range and the NSN at further ranges. My worry about the TA-11 is that without a fine crosshair rectal it seems like it might not be as accurate as the NSN. I also think that the Dr. Optic should be almost as fast to pick up as the bac triangle. The killer for me is the NSN and the TA01 have short eye relief. I hate it when I look through a scope and have to look for the picture. Thats why I narrowed my choice down to a TA-11 in the ACOG line. I'm still not sure on the NSN DR. set up. It will be a close call for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:51:34 PM EDT
I just bought a TA01 and mounted it on a flattop but I also own a 16" carryhandle. I liked the TA01 because I could use it on either one. The only thing I don't really like about it is the fine line crosshairs. Don't get me wrong I love the scope and it works as advertised but make sure you want a long range scope. It is perfect for 100 yrds +. You can use it for closer ranges but I find iron sights may be a little faster and easier.
Top Top