Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 11:28:03 AM EDT
New model Aimpoints going in service with the Swedish Army.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Exactly how'd ya use those (short radius) back up irons? If the covers are flip'd up, they'd obscure your view of the BUIS.

Do the covers pivot?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Gewehr, any word on what's been upgraded in terms of battery life, etc., on this new model vs. the current model?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Exactly how'd ya use those (short radius) back up irons? If the covers are flip'd up, they'd obscure your view of the BUIS.

Do the covers pivot?

Mike
View Quote

Look again Mike.  It's kinda interesting.  The rear cover actually has a hole to view the dot, so in essence you really don't need to flip up the covers at all.  Personally I'll stick with the current model, because I like the idea of a "full sized" BUIS, but I think this lil' bugger is cute. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cool thing is since they have a rail on top you can stack 6 or 7 of them on top of your rifle.
View Quote

[rofl]

Those Aimpoints look pretty darn beefed up for extreme use. They also look a lot heavier, but that battery case looks plastic and not aluminum or steel. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Also note on the left, it looks like there's some sort of mount. I wonder what that is? And um, where's the elevation and windage adjustments? Man Aimpoints are pretty scopes, but these new ones are butt ugly. One Sweden could f#$k something up like that. Look at the new Volvos! [puke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Alas, the new shape has gone the way of the ELCAN's trash can look [puke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And um, where's the elevation and windage adjustments?
[puke]
View Quote

Yeah... where are those windage & elevation knobs?!?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Why does everyone feel they need to put picatinny rails on everything now?  The uninitiated will inevitably place so many gadgets and gizmos on their rifles/carbines they might as well be humping the venerable M1 Garand around because it'll weight less.  lol!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Guys... I don't believe those are unmagnified dot sights.

The pic is of Aimpoint's new "[b]ER3.5[/b]", a rubber armored 3.5X optic utilizing a single AA battery (100-1000 hour life.)

It utilizes the same type of adjustment the ELCan uses - the scope itself is fixed, hard mounted to the base, where elevation/windage adjustments are made.

2 different reticle patterns are available... a chevron & a donut.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know, bro - I fondled the "final prototype" of the 3.5 at the SHOT Show & it looked quite different.  
I'll go through some of the brochures I saved & try to post a pic tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Spider, my observations are just an educated guess, so I could very well be wrong, but....

-Why mount iron sights [i]on[/i] an unmagnified dot sight when you could just use your co-witnessed BUIS [i]through[/i] a disabled Aimpoint? It makes more sense that they are there to back up a magnified optic.

It looks to me like Aimpoint copied the idea from Trijicon's TA01NSN (& in both cases, the scope mounted irons are virtually useless IMHO).

-If it is the next generation Aimpoint dot sight, where are the windage & elevation knobs???

Please do post those pics. [:)]

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Your logic does make perfect sense, I just don't remember there being backups on the 3.5 at SHOT, & there were definitely no rails on it at all.  Also, the base was much more pronounced (like the ELCan.)  Still, it did seem to be about the same size as the one pictured above...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The left side of the right picture shows a cap that could look like a windage knob access. The power switch looks like it's on the shooter side of the battery compartment. Still can't see elevation adjustment, as previously mentionned maybe it's done with the mount ??

It's an ugly kind of cute, makes you want to get one for pity sake.

-furet
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
didn't know ugly kind of cute is a level of cuteness, I thought kind of cute, cute, very cute, cutest were it [:p]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My sources tells me the new Aimpoint is a alternative optic, alternative as far as what he won't say.  the adjustment is very much in line with the Elcan M145 that is being used on Us arm forces GPMG and SAW.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The cool thing is since they have a rail on top you can stack 6 or 7 of them on top of your rifle.
View Quote

Stack two together.  Turn your weapon sideways, and- Presto!
Binoculars!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The new Aimpoints are 1x magnification, and will have a 10 year battery life. Yes, TEN YEARS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I've been trying on & off for 2 days to get the brochure scanned & posted (as promised) but my photoshop won't let me crop it & it's really starting to pi$$ me off.  [pissed]

Anyways, the pic of the 3.5x I have does indeed lack the rail on the top, & also doesn't have the backup irons on it, either.  The battery compartment is in roughly the same place, w/ the electronic controls right on top of that.  It's a pretty bulletproof-looking design, save the ELCan-type mounting base.

I'll keep trying...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#21]
What do you like their new IR laser? It´s pretty damn small IMHO.
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/20320/p/331743_2890708598696839432_vl.jpg[/img]

MN
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top