BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Apologies, the quote at the top that confused me didn't actually came from you, but, rather, from Cactus. Sorry, for the mistake.

SIG
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you guys noticed that when you have the rear rubber eyepiece on, it narrows down your field of view? I removed mine and the field of view is perfect. I will prob put on Butler Creek front and rear flip ups once I figure out the size.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
DOA,

I like the eye piece. I stick my face right in it. Plenty of eye relief. Cuts out light. It's kinda like being in a dark room with just the sight picture. It helps me focus. Also, it helps me keep both eyes open... which is a thing I've got to practice.

SIG
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi SIG,
I have the A2 standard stock and can't "stick my face in it". Perhaps if I put an A1 stock, or got narrower rings, I'd be able to do that. Yes, it does cut out the light. I can't keep both eyes open or it destorts my sight picture. I have bad astigmatism, so it one eye closed for me.
BTW, what did you finally decide about the 4th illum. click. Are you going to send it back to IOR, or live with it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
SIG,

I have to admit that you have exceeded my knowledge of on the fly targeting adjustments. I'm good at quick math, and the MIL DOT scale (3.6" at 100 yards) helps me visualize targeting and adjustments with the scope. Your example of targeting from 0 to 5 and then 5 to 10 makes sense to me.

As for advanced utilization of the MIL DOT type reticle or scale, maybe we could ask some of our more experienced brethren to weigh in on the subject? How useful is a MIL scale on a scope for tactical adjustments to situations? What other advantages/drawbacks does this system have? Does the military use the MIL DOT reticle, and how useful is the MIL scale for them? What about law enforcement?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
DOA --
Today, I tried changing batteries. I also tried spinning through the dial. On occasion the #3 illumination was as bright as #7. Then, later, the scale of illumination would go back in order. Four remains dead. It seems to me that things are getting worse, not better. So it looks like I may be returning the scope.

Karl --
I think it would be wise to draw more experienced mil-dot shooters in to this discussion. How do we do it? It seems like there aren't many of us here, just me, you and DOA. Should we start a new thread?

SIG
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree SIG. Why don't you start a new thread. I've snowed under these next two weeks, but have been keeping up with the discussion.

DOA, sorry about the scope. Do you plan to have then replace it or go with another model? Let us know how the customer support is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi Karl, no problem with my scope. Its SIG's. You must be snowed under...LOL
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I decided after seeing the weirdness of #3 having the same illumination as #7 even as #4 goes blank to test customer service.

'Will start new thread... Any suggestions for a title? How's, "Three Amigos and a Mil Dot"?

SIG
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, you had better make it four amigos. There is a thread about Cactus Tactical on this same Optics board about someone else ordering an IOR scope but they were out of stock. Waiting on their weekly shipment.
BTW: If you guys want to get the Butler flip-ups the size to get is #2 for both ends, as they are the same size. 1.3125" or 33mm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
SIG - I like three Amigos and a MIL DOT. While I understand the basic math/trig of the MIL DOT scale covering 3.6" at 100 yards. What I am curious about are the more practical aspects of the usage of that targeting scale in combat situations. These are a few of the questions I can think of.
[list][*]Do advanced shooters use the left and right scale to make windage adjustments in situations when you can't stop and click the windage knob?[/*]
[*]Do advanced shooters use this scale to lead targets?[/*]
[*]Do advanced shooters use the vertical scale as hold over adjustments in situations where they must adjust for bullet trajectory, but do not have time to click range knob (BDC)?[/*]
[*]How realistically useful is the MIL DOT scale for range estimation?[/*][/list]

I'm also curious about what I don't know to ask with the usage of the MIL DOT scale.

SIG, if you wouldn't mind, please include these questions in addition to yours in your post!

Thanks,

Snowed under so bad I've almost forgotten my own name (LOL)
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Check the new thread "Mil dots in real life."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top