Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 5:55:14 PM EDT

I broke out the drill press and popped another hole aft of the normal stock hole to move the ACOG farther back giving me a more comfortable cheek weld.

If you do this be aware that you want to pop the hole far enough forward that the ACOG's mounting screw has a flat area to tighen up against. I put the ACOG about 1/4" forward of the moving portion of the A2 sight allowing it still move with elevation adjustment. It's nearly impossible to get to the flip-up sight with your finger but easy enough with the tip of the bullet.

It feels good and now I don't have to adjust my cheek weld to switch to the scope. Range testing to follow.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Did the scope have any side to side wiggle before you tightend the nut down?

IIRC the channel in the carryhandle get wider as you go backward.  The good carryhandle mounts are designed to form fit to the handle to prevent this wiggle.  Did you have a problem with it?  If so how did you handle it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Did the scope have any side to side wiggle before you tightend the nut down?

IIRC the channel in the carryhandle get wider as you go backward.  The good carryhandle mounts are designed to form fit to the handle to prevent this wiggle.  Did you have a problem with it?  If so how did you handle it?

Thanks.
View Quote

Before I drilled I lowered the sight into the channel and at least on this four year old Olympic Arms upper - the fit was just as tight fore and aft in the channel. There is no wiggle.

This upper had already seen the drill press as it was the one I had an Aimpoint gooseneck mount put onto it and I found that Olympic Arms drills their holes about 3/8 th's of an inch too far aft for mil-spec.

This ACOG has had a second mounting hole drilled and tapped a bit forward (calibrated to match the ACOG #19 holes) so I might add another mounting hole.

[B]SOMEBODY STOP ME BEFORE I DRILL AGAIN!!!![/B]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info Paul!  I am getting a Compact ACOG in 3x.  I always though if it were just mounted a bit further back it would be better.

Hmm I may be firing up my drill press when the sight comes in...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top