Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2003 5:19:32 AM EDT
I am seriously considering ordering one of these.  Does anybody have any experience with this scope?   Which model is best for what situations? 10X42, 16X42, 20X42. And what is the advantage of the "side focus".  Sorry for all the questions but this is my first scope and I don't want to waste my hard to get money.  Thanks in advance for any input about this scope.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone....anyone??
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some reviews on SWFA's website[url=http://riflescopes.com/riflescopes/supersniper/index.html]here.[/url]
Also, some customer testimonials.
I have a 10x on order myself.
There's a lengthy thread on these on the EE [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=145527]here.[/url]
SWFA suggests 10x for AR use, I think the 20x is used primarliy for .50 cals and other REALLY long range capable weapons.
I asked about the side-focus issue as well, they suggested against it for paper-slaying.

Is there any benefit/disadvantage to an average Joe like myself to the side ajusting parallax vs. the front adjustment?

No advantage other than the ability to operate it without raising up off the stock.
View Quote
View Quote

I'm definately in for one of these scopes, just wondering whether the M upgrade is worth it vs. paper targets.
I would not personally spend the extra $100.00 for the side focus.
View Quote
View Quote

Read over that thread and ask SWFA directly, they are very good about responding to questions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the good info!  thats why I like this board great responses from everyone
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 10x M model (side focus)

Excellent scope for the money.

The side focus allows you to adjust parallax w/out rotating a flipup cover out of position like you would with the rear focus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
10x42 here...non-side focus.
Great scope for the money! I was using it on a Bushy 24in V-Match last summer and it worked great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told by someone to stay away from the 16x ones if you intend to use the mil-dot for range finding.  They all use 10x mildots and unlike the 20x where you can just double what you get to get your distance, you can't really do that with the 16x
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
John, I am not sure about all SS models using the same 10x reticle.  Here is a quote from a review by Scott Powers in snipercountry.com:

"  In short, if you buy an SS10x42, SS10x42M, SS16x42 or SS20x42, the distance between the dots is 1 mil. Period. If you "see" something else, you do not have an SS scope as released in the US or you are looking at an SS20x42 and assuming that those wide and large dots are spaced wider than they actually are. At 100 yards they subtend exactly what they are supposed to. Tested against a ruler, the 10x, 16x and 20x all meet the standard for a mil-dot scope as used in the US military. 'Nuff said."

I have a 16x on order so your statement made me curious.  Also Emailed SWFA to check it out.
Lloyd
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top