Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2002 11:48:03 AM EDT
Going to buy a new AR. most likely something for CQB. Maybe some varmit hunting. i need help on which optics. The EOtechs seem to be the ticket for fast CQB. Aim point looks rugged and the Mark 4 CQ has some nice features (magnification). I want something that is the most durable and is a quality product. You guys speak highly of the EO techs and the Aimpoints. What are the big differences? Is the MArk 4 in the same catagory? I would appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
EoTech is faster to the target...No tube to look thru.

The circle and dot seem to float out there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint M2 is military issue so it's plenty durable.  ML2 is the same except w/o the extra-dim night-vision brightness settings.  It uses a 4 MOA dot.  EOTech uses a 1 MOA dot inside a 62? MOA ring.  Neither is magnified.  Both make good CQB sights.  The OKO red dot seems to be well liked too.  Everything I've read here says the Mk 4 CQ/T is [b]not[/b] in the same category.  

Depending on what you mean by "varmint hunting" you'll probably want something with quite a bit of manification.  That's no good for CQB so your best bet is one of the many "return-to-zero" mounts so you can switch back and forth between the CQB optic and a regular scope for varmints.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Any red dot optic is used (properly) with both eyes open. You're not looking though a tube >.<

Used correctly one focuses on the moving target and superimposes the bight dot upon it. You're not paying attention to the sight, it's mount, the barrel, or anything but the dot. It's really quite simple and very fast.

Shooting paper targets upon the range you have time to notice things like mounts and such but in the field you have to focus on the target first and I find that the sight disappears and only the dot remains. You can even shoot these things with the front lens cover down as you're using both eyes and the un-obscured eye fills in the missing detail covered by the cap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
i just went and looked at the CQT. it does not seem to be anything i would be interested in. the FOV is way too narrow.

what are the advantages of an EOtech vs Aimpoint? The EOtech, i assume, has a wider FOV. and the Aimpoint more durable?

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The Eotech is a little less dark and the controls are not as easy to manipulate; its mount is infexible and is slow to remove.

The Aimpoint has better controls, is a little darker, and has a number of flexible and well designed mounts.

Essentially, the Eotech has better technology while the Aimpoint is better engineered.  IMHO.

The recticle is a matter of personal preference.  I like the simplicity of the dot, but the circle works too.

They are both good and I own both, but if I could only have one it would be the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You say its for CQB then throw in varmit hunting too.  Thats like saying you want to do CQB and sniping as well.  You will need magnification and the only way you will get dot sight speed up close and magnification for precision is with a BAC ACOG like the TA31.  A dot sight will not be a help with varmit hunting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to go with [b]DevL[/b] on what he says.
CQB and varmint hunting are like comparing apples and oranges. I personally am fortunate to have rifles w/optics set for individual tasks. I realize this is not possible for everyone. I've had a lot of lean years and know you can't always get what you want.

Might I suggest you look at what you will be doing the most. CQB or varmint hunting. Then choose your optic accordingly. One possibility is an optic that allows you to use the irons while mounted.

Hell, just buy two AR's and set 'em both up!!![:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
you guys are right. everyone needs more than one good rifle. i just need to figure out which to buy first. thanks for the input.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top