Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2002 7:34:47 PM EDT
I just received an Aimpoint M2 that's mounted at the forward most point with an ARMS #22M68 and full spacer.  I have a chopped carry handle as a BUIS.  EDITED to add that it's on a flattop AR15.

Now, I'm new to dot sights, yet it seems to make sense to me to keep the flip covers set to flip down to avoid forward eye obtructions.  EDITED to add that there's enough room with this setup to allow the covers to flip down.

But I still see a lot of them set to flip up.

Is there something I'm missing?

TIA

EDITS noted in text.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a personal choice issue...

I believe Aimpoints come from the factory with the flip-ups in the flip-UP position. But a 180 degree turn will take care of that!

Like I said, it's a personal choice...
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have mine down. Remove them, mount the sight, and replace them in the down position. I prefer not having the caps up and blocking my view, even if it is a small part of it. They also will not snag on things in the woods.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You aren't missing anything, Corey.  From all I've read, the smart nut behind the trigger will set the caps to flip down.  I don't have one YET so what do I know - but it is what I've read is recommended.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have it mounted so they can flip down, set them to flip down.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.

I did have mine set to flip down.

Just curious.

BTW, I LOOOOOOVE the M2.  I'll try to type up an M2 v. 552 comparo when I have time.  I've learned a lot being able to mount each to my rifle within one week and compare them.  I fired the M2 today and am very happy with my choice.  Well, the M2 was my [i]second[/i] choice [;)] (see my blurry 552 reticle thread), but if I had to do it all over again the M2 would be my first choice even without blurry reticle problems.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an ML2 mounted on a GG&G Scout rail atop an M4. I've tried up and down, and here's my 2 cents: I use the down position on the eyepiece because, like others here, I find the up position obscures my vision at least somewhat when acquiring a target. I'd prefer to have the front (muzzle end) cap in the down position also, except that the cap gets in the way of my grip on the handguard. So I keep it in the up position. It works for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
My .02

I can't see any reason to have them flip up.  They will obscure your target the most in that position.

Down seems the most logical for me if there is room.

to the left (9:00) or 8:00 position makes more sense to me than up or 12:00
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you have it mounted so they can flip down, set them to flip down.
View Quote

Exactly,  when ever possible, I try to keep the covers flip downwards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Only reason why I have mine to flip up when open, is because it's slightly easier and faster for me to open the covers without shifting my hands too much from a "ready" position.

It's the same way on all my guns, using a standard grip I can rotate my hand just a bit to hit the tabs of the covers so that they flip open upwards.    As opposed to a manuever that I think is less comfortable and natural for me by having to really upset my grip to reach the top of the sight having the covers open downwards.

It is a compromise though, covers in the upward position can be a bit distracting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
In a tactical environment the single most significant reason a concealed shooter is detected/neutralized is "black hole syndrome".  The lens cover is a second black hole.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Front up, back down, best of both worlds!
(kidding.  both down.)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top