Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2002 12:39:07 PM EDT
I have a flattop bushmaster(dissapator)I would like to put a fixed A2 type sight on it. I have a carry handle from a colt M-4 upper that I would like to cut and put on it. It seems to me though that I read here somewhere that there were issues with front sight height. Anyone know? I'll probably just get a DPMS if it wont work, I have had a GGG MAD and a GGG A2 but I prefer the A-2 co-witness setup. THANKS for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt cut carry handle that I picked up off the board and was planning on using it on my BM SL upper.  I also bought a NIB BM CH which I'm currently using.

There is a height difference between the Colt and CM carry handles.  I don't know if Colt ever made non-M4 compatible CH's, but do know that Colt is making the M4 front sight assembly taller than the non-M4 sight assembly.  Apparently if you crank up the front sight post to almost level with the top of the "wings," it will zero.

I have not tried to zero my Colt cut CH on my BM upper, but could get you some measurements tonight (including a Colt CH that came with an M4 marked upper).  Zeroing it shouldn't be a problem if you are okay with the front sight post being higher than normal.

YMMV, and others who have done this will obviously have better information than I do.  Let me know if you want those measurements.

EDITED to add that I'm certain that Chuck has it right.  He's forgotten more about AR15's than I'll ever know.  I was bassackwards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Colt's M4 rear sight has a thinner base (the base of the part that moves up and down) than those from Bushmaster et al who use the same base thickness as the M16 rear sight.

Side by side the difference is easy to see, it's little harder to describe.

The thinner base shoots lower, so you have to lower your front sight to compensate.  You may not be able to lower it far enough.  On the other hand if you have a Colt's M4 barrel you have to crank it's sight way up above the ears to zero with a M16 height rear sight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
With two perfectly good flip up rears already, I would just mount the GG&G A2 sight and leave it flipped up. No need to buy yet another BUIS or create one out of a perfectly good removable carry handle. Just an idea.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top