Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2002 4:06:33 PM EDT
Settin up another AR15 (postban, flattop, M4 style barrel) for use CQB to 300 yards, wile emphasis on accuracy over speed.  After a month of research I came to the conclusion that the ACOG would be my ultimate optic.

But reality is I cannot afford $800 or so for a TA31F.  And the more I think of it the more I think that it is TOO much to spend for optics for one rifle (even if I could afford it!)

I have a ARMS #40 flip up rear sight so that I can use the rifle with iron sights until I can get optics.

I am looking for a more precise aiming device (over the iron sights).

I am thinking of trying an EOTech 511 sight and change the intended character of this rifle.  I have never owned a red dot sight of any kind but have looked through a couple Aimpoints and a Bushnell Holosight.

I do not want to buy the EOTech and then find that it does not serve my needs.  I guess another option in my price range would be a low power conventional scope, but these often look "Hillbilly Ugly" on an AR15.  

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
One way to go would be to put a shotgun scope on it, or consider an Aimpoint. The Eotech is a good choice, though, as the center dot (2D recticle) allows for very precise aiming.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Zardoz: I plan to attend a big gunshow in Phoenix December 6-7-8th.  I hope to be able to look at an EOTech powered up if not on a rifle.  I cannot buy one of these things without seeing it at least!  What is the word on the OKO sight that Cav Arms is selling for $200?  This is $50 to $130 less than the EOTech.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
OKO is okay(pun), but in this case, you get what you paid for is the exact term applied.  EOTech is a much better equipped unit.

I will be at the SAR show next week also.  looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
. I cannot buy one of these things without seeing it at least!
View Quote
I sure can't blame ya there! I, for one, HATE to buy stuff (especially optics) sight-unseen! I'm in sorta the same boat, but with an ACOG, so I'll try to find some at the next show to take a look through.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The EOTech is a great choice, and the 1 MOA dot surrounded by a 65 MOA circle makes a great sight.  I have no problem at 50 yards with groups the size of a golfball.  At 100 yards they open up to about an orange.  I haven't tried it past those ranges.

If you want more precise shooting then a good 4 to 6x scope is your best bet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally came to grip with my financial reality (which is that this project is not going to get a $800 ACOG).
I ordered the 511 EOTech from SWFA while they are on special.  Wouldn't you know I clicked on the 1 MOA dot one instead of the STD reticle.  Will have to call SWFA customer service line Monday AM and get it straightened out.... I am going to be sick of peanutbutter sandwiches until this is all paid off.
In the interests of economy I got the smaller shorter battery life unit, but did opt for the Tactical unit.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top