Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 3:17:39 PM EDT
I picked up a 16" stainless heavy barrel flat top upper today, which I intend to use for casual target shooting in the 100 - 200 yard range (maybe even 300), and perhaps even some nutria hunting.

I'm looking for suggestions on what scope to buy... I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

Also, how do I go about determining what size (if any) risers I would need so that the scope would fit?  Am I correct in assuming I can't just mount the scope directly to the flat top?

Thanks!

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Excuse my ignorance, but what's [b]"nutria hunting"[/b]?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's [b]"nutria hunting"[/b]?
View Quote

Hehe... sorry.  A nutria is a large rat-like creature (no, I'm not talking about liberals) that lives here in Louisiana.  I'm not a nutria expert, but I'm fairly certain they are not native to this country, being accidentally brought here and set loose.  Since then, they have multiplied profusely, and are destroying Louisiana's fragile coastal marshes at a frightening pace.

State officials, in an effort to reduce the nutria population, are encouraging people to kill the pests.  Currently, a bounty of $4 per nutria is being offered (you only have to bring in the tail), but unfortunately, this cash is only being offered to "licensed trappers".  But recreational hunters can kill nutria too, but will not be paid (though hopefully this will change).

Though I wouldn't be paid, I still wouldn't mind going on an occasional exciting nutria hunt.  Wouldn't you?  :)

--Mike  
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they are mostly filled with air too... they make a an interesting "poof" noise when hit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go...

[img]http://www.furbearermgmt.org/images/Nutria.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/factshts/nutria.pdf[/url]

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You can mount the scope directly to the flat-top, if you use tall enough rings or one of the one-piece mounts designed for ARs.  I have a set of Burris "High" rings and they're not quite high enough.  This thread covers some of the mounts:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=101429[/url]
You probably don't care about the repeat-zero, and depending on the scope you may not need the extra eye-relief of the Armalite mount and can save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Some people say they're GOOD Eatin TOO! [:D]

[img]http://www.bubba-teeth.com/images/nutria.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
nikon 3x9x40 buckmaster under 200.00.nice glass at good price.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get one-piece scope mounts from RRA ($42 from [url]www.sableco.net[/url]) or Armalite ($89).  Or, you could use Leupold high QRW rings ($42 from [url]www.premierreticles.com[/url]) on top of two miniriser ($15 each) from Bushmaster.  The RRA one-piece is probably the cheapest route.

As far a scopes, I'd fork out another $50 and get a Weaver Grand Slam from [url]www.swfa.com[/url].  If you can not do that, the Nikon Buckmaster that Mr. jcoaster mentions is an good scope.  I'd also look at the the Bushnell Elite 3200.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone... I've got some looking-around to do!

--Mike
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top