Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2002 9:26:48 PM EDT
Anyone seen or currently use one of these?  Looking for testimonials on features and quality.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks perfect, I want to know as well. BTT.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
There were some issues with older units being weaver rails, and not fitting well with the milspec 1913 rails of AR's. The newer units, as I understand, have been made to the milspec rail dimentions.

I dont know what the point of it is myself. There are several ways to accomplish the same thing with better results.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont know what the point of it is myself. There are several ways to accomplish the same thing with better results.

Some of the instructors at Gunsite use it.  Must be something good about it.  One of these days I'll make it up to the Gunsmithy and see if Yost can tell me whats good about it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are talking about the Tactical Carbine video, they also recomend the JP trigger system, which is a GREAT trigger, but not very well suited for a field rifle. The video was made before many of the much better options that are now available were released. At the time, it may have been a great addition, but with the release of the ARMS and GG&G extended rails, plus the many, many mounts for optics like the Aimpoint, the Mark Brown rail is a little dated in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Im mainly interested in it because some of us were raised on iron sites, and if my Aimpoint went down for any reason I dont want to have to stop to flip up a rear sight if Ive got something down range other than a piece of paper to shoot at.  Im in the minority on this, but I like my irons having a standard looking sight picture, and I like having them always there.

Ive never watched the Gunsite videos.  Thats from talking to an officer from my agency that was up there last year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The new A2 GG&G site (Flipup) has a lock on it now that will keep the site from folding down.  This would be your best bet, then you can leave the flip up site up all the time, as I do.

You just forget about the irons until you need them, and just refocus.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The new A2 GG&G site (Flipup) has a lock on it now that will keep the site from folding down.  

Only thing stopping me from going with GG&G - windage only adjustments.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree fully with having a back up iron. I believe having them are crucial. And even though there is an optic on top of every AR I own, there is also a back up iron for it. I dont remember the last time I ever used the elevation adjustment on any of the AR sights I have ever had, so the lack of elevation adjustments dont bother me in the slightest. I do know others want that, and if thats what they want, then they should have it. If you want a fully adjustable, fixed rear sight, I would reccomend the DPMS fixed back up rear.

Then to mount the Aimpoint, get a GG&G Cantilever mount or a Knights Offest mount. This will position your Aimpoint in the correct position to allow co-witness. In addition, it will forward mount the optic which has many more advantages over mounting it closer to your eye. This set up will achieve the same thing you are looking for, but with the added advantages of allowing forward mounting and give you a spare battery cap. Like I said, despite what Gunsite may advocate, that is a better set up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I had an older one that would not work with ARMS rings, but the one I have now works with ARMS rings/bases.  Now that I have an ARMS  SIR-M and #40 I have thought about selling the Mark Brown.  If I don't sell it I will have to build a whole new rifle to use it on.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top