Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2002 8:59:37 PM EDT
ok - so I’m pretty stoked.  new rifle is ordered and on the way.  

http://www.olyarms.com/pcr16.html

I sold my first home grown AR to a buddy and I’m thinking about mounting.

I am pretty sure that I want a Trijicon Reflex II w/ amber triangle & kill flash filter.  

If anyone wants to convince me that I need to ditch that idea then I am all ears..  but I think that it what I want.

I am also going to get flip up BU sights but I haven't figured out where/what kind.  So far I like the Fulton Armory ones, GG&G (but they are a little spendy), and the bushmaster ones.  Again, I’m totally open to being swayed on this one...

So - with this information, how should I mount the reflex II?  With what kind of mount? How high do I need to mount it so that I can deploy the iron sights and have them co-witness through the reflex?

Thanks!

~G
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
GG&g up front...ARMS#40 rear (new model)...

EoTech 500 series Holosight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
GackMan, I own 2 of these sights with the triangle .One uses the Trijicon carry handle mount which places the triangle in the same plane as the irons, with the irons occupying the the lower 1/3 of the sight picture. The other mount is the ARMS #15 throwlever mount with a spacer which places the irons in the middle of the sight picture. I use the new ARMS #40 flip up rear with this setup.

Be that as it may, I agree with WofWof that the EOTech is a superior sight to the Reflex II, especially when backed up with the ARMS #40 rear.

If the search function was working, you could see all kinds of comparisons between the dot sights. Since its down, let me just advise you that the Reflex is a very dark sight and adding the Killflash to it will make it even darker. It washes out almost to the point of being invisible when used indoors with a tac light. Outdoors in bright sunlight, the amber reticle becomes almost too bright to use. At night, the reticle is powered by tritium gas, which would be ok if the reticle was bright enough that you could actually see your target.
I now use the Eotech on my "serious" carbine as it suffers from none of the problems that the Reflex has. Also, the EOtech mounts directly to the flat top without needing a special mount and will allow you to co-witness with any backup sights you decide to use.IMHO.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys - the ARMS 40 looks like the way to go w/ the quick deployment.

i'll have to go back to the drawing board for the primary.  i've only looked through a reflex II twice and I really liked it.

I'll have to evaluate it a little more and see if it is too dark.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
GackMan, I own 2 of these sights with the triangle .One uses the Trijicon carry handle mount which places the triangle in the same plane as the irons, with the irons occupying the the lower 1/3 of the sight picture. The other mount is the ARMS #15 throwlever mount with a spacer which places the irons in the middle of the sight picture. I use the new ARMS #40 flip up rear with this setup.

Be that as it may, I agree with WofWof that the EOTech is a superior sight to the Reflex II, especially when backed up with the ARMS #40 rear.

If the search function was working, you could see all kinds of comparisons between the dot sights. Since its down, let me just advise you that the Reflex is a very dark sight and adding the Killflash to it will make it even darker. It washes out almost to the point of being invisible when used indoors with a tac light. Outdoors in bright sunlight, the amber reticle becomes almost too bright to use. At night, the reticle is powered by tritium gas, which would be ok if the reticle was bright enough that you could actually see your target.
I now use the Eotech on my "serious" carbine as it suffers from none of the problems that the Reflex has. Also, the EOtech mounts directly to the flat top without needing a special mount and will allow you to co-witness with any backup sights you decide to use.IMHO.

The search feature is back...it seems to be for paid members only (so far).
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks guys - the ARMS 40 looks like the way to go w/ the quick deployment.

i'll have to go back to the drawing board for the primary.  i've only looked through a reflex II twice and I really liked it.

I'll have to evaluate it a little more and see if it is too dark.  

If you look at the EoTECH make sure you don't set it too bright. If you do, the reticle will seem fuzzy.  Less briteness is better here.

Also,  there seem to be some sales as of late.  SWFA and Jery's Shooting have a few deals.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top