Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/4/2002 11:59:00 PM EDT
I have recently purchased a Bushmaster Dissipator w/ A3 upper.  I would like to add a dot type scope and having "test fired" a Trijicon Reflex II w/ 12.5 moa Triangle, I am thinking that is the way I want to go.  Is there any good reason not to use that scope?

Second, what is the preffered method of mounting, direct to the flattop rail or via a carry handle mount.  What are the pro's and con's of each, if any?  Thanks for the advise!

GM
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The Reflex is a great sight. As you know, it has no magnification, so technically, it is not a scope. However, it is a tough optic and works well in most conditions.

However, it does have some serious issues with reticle wash out. Because it is powered by fiber optics and tritium, it is dependant on having either good light, or no light to work. If you are in a dark area, looking into a bright area, the reticle washes out easily.

This is a big problem for some folks. I have had a Reflex for 3 years now and though I love the optic, it remains a big problem for me.

I think the best way to mount any non magnified dot optic is to forward mount it. There are only a few good ways to forward mount a Reflex, and I really think the best of these is on the carry handle mount. There are other ways to do it, like with an ARMS #38-ex rail and a ARMS #15 low profile mount, but I find the carry handle mount a better option. I have used both.

In conclusion, I would recommendthe new Aimpoint M2 over the Reflex. I dont dislike the Reflex really, I just think the Aimpoint has an important edge over the Reflex. Plus with an Aimpoint, there are a lot of great mounting options. My recomendation would be a GG&G Cantiver mount or a KAC Offset mount right to the last rail of your flat top.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Carry handle mounts don't work on the detachable (M16A4) handle because the groove on top is different from fixed handles.

Please note the negative noted above regarding the Reflex II.  I got rid of mine after a few weeks -- couldn't see the dot under most shooting conditions.  The Aimpoint CompM-series is a much better shooting sight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that bit of insight.  I will hold off on spending dollars and do a little more research.

GM
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using my Reflex 1 (original 6.5 moa dot model) for 6-7 years now (I had it on my L1A1 before I had my ARs).  I like the sight and tested it fairly thoroughly.

There are times when it can wash-out but I had to work to make it happen.  I think this is a personal issue - some people really like the sight and it works well for them, others using the same sight under the same conditions don't care for it.

Chuck's used my sight and was unimpressed - I love the thing (no batteries or switches to worry about!).

If you go here groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/opticssights.msnw?action=view_list&row=13&viewtype=2&sortstring= You can read some of Chuck's comments on the sight, then click on the link to read my review of the sight (including usage and testing).

While your at the site check out the other reviews of other optics. Also in the How-To Projects section there is an article on 'fixing' some of the washout problems.

The Aimpoint M2 (improved Comp M -XD) is a better sight - but it weighs more and requires batteries.  I'd suggest trying them both out to see which you prefer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Forest, when I get back home to a little more bandwidth I will study up on the optics issue.  I now understand that I understand nothing!  But at least I know it...

1 quick question... For the average Joe is the night vision compatability of the M2 (versus the ML2) of much importance for one that thinks he will never want or need to own night vision equipment?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
NV compatibility isn't needed if you don't own it (or plan on owning it).  Save the $30 or $40 and get a magazine or two...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
That is what I figured.  Thanks for the insight.

GM
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep an older Reflex 6.5moa dot on top of my A3 carbine receiver.  I use the ARMS#15 mount with two spacers (ARMS #15S) and push the Reflex to where it's flush with the end of the receiver (in front of the ARMS#40 backup rear sight).  Each spacer is a little less than .15" high, so two puts the dot a little above the front sight post.  Keeping the mount on the receiver makes the package smaller and more manageable, but the dot size looks larger and covers more that close in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Now that I "have" my optical sight I need to mount it.  I was thinking ARMS-22M68 as far forward (Bushy A3) on the rail as possible with an ARMS-40 (thanks SJSample) rear sight.  Does this configuration seem viable?  Is there a better way?

GM
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like you got an Aimpoint... If so, I would suggest either the GG&G Cantilever mount, or the Knights Offset mount. These mounts push the sight out further over the handguards. Between the two, I like the GG&G unit, it incorporates a spare battery compartment.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top