Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2002 1:27:32 PM EDT
Hey all, I'm a newbie, this is a great website, I have learned a lot since first visiting last week. I have a question and need some advise.

I have a new Colt Comp Match HBar, flat-top, been using the iron sites for plunking, crow shooting..and I wanted to purchase a scope. Dont have a huge budget, and I wanted magnification, mainly to get the crows out a bit longer range.

I was considering the Leapers 3-9 x 28 tactical scope (over at Tapco.com) and was gonna mount it on top of my removable carry handle, just cause it was cheaper and looks to put this rather small scope right where it needs to be.

Am I going wrong here? Leapers product any good ($75)? Any advise would be appreciated. I am new to the AR-15 world so pardon my ignorance so to speak, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try to stay away from Leaper.  I understand the budget point of view, but the 70 dollars you pay will be like throwing money in the trash can.  Leupold have a Vari-X2 tactical scope for around 320 dollars, with a nice Armalite, or Rock River flat top mount you are into it for about 400 dollars.  I know this is a lot more then 75 dollars, but this will give you a quality optic with 3-9x40 capability, a scope that will last as long as you own the gun, a scope that will retain zero shot after shot, a scope with clarity that can only be rival by more expensive Euro scope and the added shooting time in low light hours.  Mounting to the flat top will give you much better cheek weld, a better zero for longer distance, and bring the scope closer to bore to eliminate any parallax problem.  Foir 400 dollars, you will have a excellent rifle scope combo that will enable you to plink crows all day long.

Link Posted: 10/30/2002 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
SMG: Thanks. Do you have any direct experience with the Leapers scope I mentioned? The tech folks at Tapco swear by it, say it is a quality durable unit (of course they would, they are selling it!)....but it comes with a Lifetime Warranty. If it wont hold accuracy, I get my money back.

$400 is a lot more than I wanted to spend, I know what you are saying though, I have a $1,000 rifle why not get a good scope, its just I am tapped out at this point, looking for a good selection at around $100.

A lot of the mounts I see look to raise the center of the scope to about the same height as a Colt removable handle, so I was thinking the flat-top's handle (which appears a lot lower than an A2 fixed handle) would be okay with a 28 mm scope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Marcus,

I would suggest you getting the Rock River flat top mount($45.00), this quality mount have the rings build in, and it will put the scope in the right height to your bore.

As far as the Leaper scope is concer, if you are tapped out, maybe it is not an bad idea to start with this scope and move up to a Leupold later.  Leaper is made in China in its cheapest quality, I am not saying Chinese make crap, just Leaper do not hold their quality control with a high regard. the optic is not clear, and the image around the edge of the glass are fuzzy.  the ability to hold zero is hit and miss.  I would not use this glass on anything other then a 22 or an air rifle.  just think, why would Leupold charge the amount they are asking for if they can make quality scope at 70 a piece.  
you got a great rifle in your hand, treat it right, get a quality scope for it.  But at your current situation, get a inexpensive high quality mount to build upon such as the Rock river flat top mount and you can get by with a Leaper until you are able to upgrade. remember, a good foundation is essential.

Hope this helps.

www.rockriverarms.com/scope_mounts_slings_&_bipod.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks again, great advise.

leapers is chinese?......not a good feeling on that one!
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
hay, watch it, I am Chinese.  

Just messing with ya.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top