Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/28/2002 3:59:24 PM EDT
Hi,

Looking for an 100yd+ optic to put on a BM VMatch 16" flattop. Currently have BMAS flipup sights on it, and want a 'part-time' scope to slide on to work on longer distance practice.

The M2 interests me because:
- BDC instead of elevation knob (however I'm using SA battlepacks {55gr} not the 62gr it's calibrated for),
- small and relatively light compared to a 2.5-10,3-9 variable, therefore more appropriate for this rifle.
- manufacturer seems to have a good rep for quality.
- it's in my price range.

I get the concept of buy a quality scope, otherwise I'm wasting my time. I'm willing to do the Mastercard damage, but don't have access to any scoped AR's to get first hand knowledge. So:

Is this a good scope for my application? I realize it's not mildot, but the Dragunov reticle looks workable...

Is 4x fixed power enough for the functional range of a 16" AR? I'm looking to practice for later ownership of a sub-moa bolt gun, and want to build the skills for long distance shooting.

Anybody own/use an M2? What did you think? What do like better?

Thanks in advance for your help...
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:38:30 PM EDT
I think it's a good choice.

I have one and it's a very quality piece. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so that's about all I can say. IOR typically gets raves for the quality of the glass.

Another thought might be a Trijicon compact ACOG. I have a 3x that is a fantastic sight. I'm going to be interested to see which I like better.

All depends on the type of shooting you are doing. For a combat scope, I think the Trijicon or the IOR M2 are ideal
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:54:13 AM EDT
Ya might find this interesting
www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03k
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:03:53 AM EDT
M2 is an excellent choice, I have used one on a friend's FAL, and I was so impressed with it, it is on my shopping list to get for my 91. the 4x should be great for shooting out pass 300. i think you will be very happy wiht it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:29:54 PM EDT
9divdoc - I considered the 1x4 but it's big $$, heavier, and no ranging reticle to practice with. For close up I think I want a Streamlight 6 and/or Reflex II.

fight4yourrights and SMGLee: Thanks for the input. Now I'm trying to figure out if IOR's high QD rings will fit the AO over the folded (24mm high) rear sight. I contacted Valdada via their email (no response yet, but it's only been 24 hours). I also tried to find a phone number via 411, 411.com, and the google - no dice. Hopefully their low profile doesn't affect customer service. So far snipercountrypx.com has the lowest price...

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:36:11 PM EDT
Is it possible to use Armalite 1-piece mount with IOR M2?
Where can i find pics of AR-15 with IOR M2?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2002 7:59:47 AM EDT by SMGLee]

This is the OD version, they make them in black also.

I know the QD high rings will clear an ARMS flip up back up iron.

Edit: I made a mistake, the AR10 I seen with #40 and high ring is actually a SWAM sleeve. I called my friend last night to confirm after Alou corrected my mistake. I apologize about the mistake.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:47:30 PM EDT
zzxx99, I just purchased the M2 for my Bushmaster M4 and will try it out tomorrow. My only gripe is that I have the ARMS #40 flip up rear sight and neither the IOR QD high nor the ARMS #22 QD high rings (which are higher than the IORs) will allow the scope to clear my #40. IOR's phone number is (970)879-2983 but they didn't know anything about the clearance issues. Interestingly, the guy I talked to said that the chevrons below the top chevron really isn't all that useful since it was calibrated for .308s.
SMGLee, I sent you an email about the clearance issue. Please let me know how you got the rings to clear the #40. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:10:34 AM EDT
I got the following response from scott@valdada.com:

"I would definitely recommend our high tactical rings for use with either the
M1 or M2. These rings are about .740" high from their base to their lower
ID. Your objective clearance would depend on whether or not it overhung
your handguards, and, if so, on the handguard diameter. The M2's ocular
flares out to a diamater of about 1.54" right where your flip-up sight is
mounted, so I am not sure if you could use both simultaneously. I personally
prefer the NATO reticle over the Dragunov reticle. You can always call
our office at (970) 879-2983 if you wish to speak with someone by phone.

scott@valdada.com"

By my calculations, that puts the diopter ring 14.2mm above the flattop. I'd need 10-11mm more ring height to fit over my BMAS flipup sight. I doubt that'd be good for cheek weld. Gunblast.com just tested a custom Bushmaster with a big variable and these BUIS and didn't have problems, but the scope looks high in the pictures. I'm not sure what I want to do..

alou, there are 7.62 and 5.56 BDC versions. I'm not sure how the reticle could be 7.62-specific. Scott says he likes the NATO reticle better - I guess it's less busy, but the Dragunov offers marks that could be used for quick KY windage.

I've tried to call Valdada several times this week. I keep getting the answering machine. Scott Powers at snipercountrypx.com says Valentine is the guy to talk to, but he's supposedly out of the office now. I wanted QD rings, but Scott Powers and scott@valdada.com both said to go with their high tacticals instead. Is there a re-zero problem with the QDs?

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:49:28 AM EDT
Well, while the BDC cams are .223 specific (knob on top of the scope), the reticles apparently are not conducive to KY windage as they are tuned to .308 ballistics. That's what the gentleman at IOR told me. But he wasn't sure. Anyways, I don't even know what distances the lower chevrons were calibrated for.
The only problem with the IOR QDs is that their release lever works like a screw. You have to keep turning it until the rings are loose enough to remove from the rail. Therefore, when you mount your optics, you kinda have to eyeball the levers and make sure they're at the same level as when you initially zeroed the scope. I opted to keep the ARMS #22 because their lever works on a 180 degree plane. Flip the lever 180 degrees and it's off. Flip it the opposite direction 180 degrees and it's locked on. No guess work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2002 9:42:16 AM EDT by zzxx99]
found a good sight: www.mountsplus.com
Full dimensioned pics of the A.R.M.s products.

If the info I have regarding the diameter of the diopter is correct (39.12mm), ARMS#22H (36.83mm rail to scope c/l) mounts will leave 17.27mm between the diopter and the rail. Not enough for the BMAS sight, or ARMS 40 flipup (24.13mm)

http://www.mountsplus.com/products/ARMS/ARMS-40.htm
Top Top