Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/27/2002 2:15:15 PM EDT
I'm looking for an extra tall front sight post and am wondering if anyone makes one. Preferable an A2 square post.

To sight in I'm having to turn my front post up so far that it is almost coming out of the front sight assy. The rear sight is an A2 and it is as low as it will go at the 8/3 setting.

TIA,
Rob
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:10:55 PM EDT
Ask Kurt over at KKF. He says he uses a taller front post to zero with the higher-than-A3-height DPMS Lo-Pro upper, so they exist.

But I'd want to know WHY you can't zero with a regular post first. Unless you're trying to zero REALLY close, something's wrong.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:32:16 AM EDT
Mike_L,

Thanks for the info.

First let me say that my instructing & shooting M16s/AR's is extensive, after serving over 20 years in the US Army's Infantry. I've even built a few.

I've always qualified expert. Even by actually shooting at the 300M targets ;-)

I have no idea why in order to zero this weapon my rear sight has to be adjusted so far to the left and the front sight post so far "UP". The very top of the front sight post is almost even with the top of the protective "wings" of the whole assembly. The zero range is a measured 25M. And the targets while not MILSPEC zero targets, are identical to them. The rear sight is one click up from "8/3" setting.

I bought this barreled upper new from a dealer. And there doesn't appear to be any damage to anything.

Rob

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:48:53 AM EDT
My guess is that your barrel is not indexed properly; it is probably off just enough to keep you from getting it zeroed. Take it back to the shop and have someone check it out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:33:46 AM EDT
I think this is the same problem a lot of people had when mixing A2 upper receivers with Colt M4 front sight bases built to be used with removable carry handles. Post your question over at the Colt forums- I think Stokes knows all about it- IIRC the solution was just to buy Colt part #SP62447 which is the front sight post for the 9mm SMG- Its taller than the normal front post. www.sawlesales.com carries this part.
Top Top