Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2002 6:56:00 PM EDT
Hi all - I recently bought a Colt 6400C, and I've taken off the top in favor of an EoTech + ARMS #40 rear sight backup. When I head to my favorite place to shoot, I intend to sight both of them in.

But in looking closely at the ARMS rear sight, there is no provision for an elevation adjustment knob, like the standard carryhandles/sights have. So how does one set the battle sight zero?

Is this simply a matter of picking your favorite sighting in distance and setting it there and not worry about the traditional battlesight zero process?

- Snacko
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:03:09 PM EDT
Proper elevation in zeroing is attained by adjusting the front sight, not the rear.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:14:43 PM EDT
I'm speaking of the traditional battlesight zero process of adjusting the elevation knob one-click up from the 300m position and using the small apeture sight to sight in. With a standard fixed-top AR, once the rear elevation knob is in this position you THEN adjust the front sight. I'm sure you know this...

But my question is that the AMRS #40 doesn't have an elevation knob to adjust one-click up, so it's not clear to me how battlesight zero is attained...

- Snacko
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:32:07 PM EDT
Treat it like an A1 rear sight and you will be OK. Remember, this is an emergency back up sight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:12:35 PM EDT
Any PDF or HTMLs out there for sighting in an A1? I've got tons for A2s, but none for A1s.

- Snacko
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:28:44 PM EDT
I don't know of any, but I am sure a net search would yield some. Why bother though? Here is how you do it. Put out a target, the smaller the dot the better, at 25M. A DoD sighting target works best, becuase they have the little squares already there. From a good sandbagged rest, get a proper sight picture, nose just touching the charging handle, and squeeze off a round. You may choose to adjust your sights then if it is way off. If not, fire two more rounds. Adjust the correct number of clicks. If you used proper technique, you should be zeroed. Fire another three rounds to confirm your zero. If still off, correct again and confirm again. Once zeroed at 25M you are zeroed out to 250M to point of aim.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:43:52 AM EDT
As stated above, don't make it harder than it is. I sighted mine in at 50 yds using the large aperture (the Santose "improved" battlesight zero, slightly simplified).

Remember, tha apertures are different heights, so POI will be different. Since this is a back up sight, and the large aperture is the 'pop up' default, that's the one I wanted zeroed.
Top Top