Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2002 6:53:49 PM EDT
Greetings,

From what I understand, Aimpoint red dots will be blurry when used in bright light with the brightness turned on high. Is there a way to fix this problem? Do Eotechs suffer from the same problem.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The way to fix this problem is to turn donw the intensity until it is not so bright it is blurry. The problem would not be with the Aimpoint, it would be with your having the intensity set too brightly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sir,

The dot intensity was turned up that high in order to see the dot at all in the bright sunlight. If I used a lower setting, the dot would hardly be visible in those lighting conditions. Several other shooters experienced the same problem that day with their M2s.

Does the Eotech also have this problem?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In that situation - keep the front lens cap on.

(Occluded eye gunsight principle )
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The Eotech reticle is much blurrier to me than the Aimpoint dot, all the time. The Eotech appears 'pixellized' or jagged, where the Aimpoint is relatively clean and does not 'burst' unless set too bright for the conditions as mentioned above.

Do you wear contacts or glasses?  Some lenses can have a profound effect on the appearance of the dot in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
my first propoint had a set of polarizing lenses in a unit that threaded onto the front of the tube it would allow me to dial down the amount of light coming in the tube. i haven't seen this design feature in a very long time.  i think the lens cap is a good idea or you may experiment with a colored filter from a Surefire light.  most propoints are "tinted" blue to minimize this problem.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Greetings,

From what I understand, Aimpoint red dots will be blurry when used in bright light with the brightness turned on high. Is there a way to fix this problem? Do Eotechs suffer from the same problem.

Thank you!

Gewehr3,
   All my experience with the Aimpoint lends credit in the other direction.  In extremely bright light (especially desert conditions) the Aimpoint dot is extremely crisp and fine.  To me it appears as slightly larger than a pinhead.  And that is with the brightness at full tilt.  I seem to have read somewhere that a person's eyesight has a lot to do with how the dot is perceived (i.e. oblong, or blurry, etc).  Not sure where, may have been on another thread somewhere.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top