Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2002 7:43:27 PM EDT
Greetings!

I just purchased a used Bushmaster A3 with a V-Match float tube on it.  The only problem is that the individual I bought it from didn't have the rear sight.  I need some advice if you have a moment!

I would like to get an ARMS swan sleeve to start with since it will provide me with a backup iron sight and a good base to mount to.  Eventually I want to add an Aimpoint, Holosight, or Trijicon Tri-Power if they get good reviews and I'm feeling spendy at the time.

Here's what I need to know:

Since I have the VMatch handguard, will the 8.5" swan sleeve still work on my rifle?

Do I even need the 8.5" sleeve to mount one of those scopes, or will the standard receiver length sleeve work for me?  Would the 8.5" look stupid on the rifle (silly question, I know, but looks are important to me - this is the only AR will ever be able to buy due to $)?

Will this be a good setup for some action shooting, plinking, and SHTF applications?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

- Ronin21
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Additional question that I just thought of -

I have an armalite-style scope ring set that I would like to be able to use as well with a normal rifle sight.  So what I really need to do is be able to remove and replace a rifle scope and another optic device and not lose the zero on either of them.  Is that even possible, and if so, what length Swan Sleeve should I get to start with?

Sorry for the long winded posts.  It's my first AR and I'm pretty eager to get out and shoot.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Armalite scope mount is designed to be mounted directly on the receiver.  If so, it'll be too high if mounted on a sleeve.

Length of the sleeve required would depend on the eye relief of the optic being mounted.

Edited to add that with quality mounts, yes, you should be able to switch back and forth with minimal change to zero.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top