Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2002 5:07:59 AM EDT
I have a Simmons 4x32 and it is a total POS. Worst scope I've ever owned, including the BEC on the .22. Are all Simmons scopes trash?
I currently have a Tasco 3-9x40 World Class Plus w/ Mil.dots. It's "ok" but kinda lack lustre. I was considering the AETEC, but, well, it's a Simmons.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Simmons is another PRC scope probably made by Norinco.  Good optics are expensive.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
the only simmons scope i have evr used that i liked was a 44 promag. It's held up well for the money.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an Aetec I liked alot.  Move to closer range shooting and an Aimpoint, so I sold it.  New owner is pretty happy with it.

toast
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Have one on top of an AR-10(T) for Bambi Bashing.  Good inexpensive scope.  Actually, it is a good cheap scope.

Dave S
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll never own another Simmons or Bushnell scope. They just seem to break! Crosshairs, knobs etc, and always at the worst possible moment. Stick with Loopie, Burris, Pentax etc.
You'll be much happier and if you sell you'll at least be able to move them to another firearm. The Simmons and Bushnell scopes are shit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck with the Simmons Whitetail Classic scopes.  I have 4 of the 2.5-8X36 scopes on 3 bolt action .308 deer hunting rifles and a flat-top AR-15, never had any problems with any of them.  One withstood a 4 foot drop onto a big rock (my carelessness), point of impact was the top turret cover, absolutely no change in zero or internal damage.  Simmons has discontinued this scope and the last time I checked CDNN had them for about $80.  I really like the generous eye relief...your eye doesn't have to be in exactly the same spot to get a fullfield view through the scope.

I agree with the other folks recommending Leupold, Burris, Nikon...they are a little clearer and sharper but for the price difference I'll go with the WTC 2.5-8X36 anytime.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 Simmons Aetec's. So far so good
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I own two Aetecs, one on a M1A and the other on my Springfield Sar08.

The latest one is on the M1A and it came with finger adjustable target turrets under the turret caps "surprised me!"

Optics are great! Eye-relief is plenty.

For the bang for the buck, you can't beat it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got an Aetec 9x44, ok so far, good accuracy for the money, saving to up-grade however. looks nice too, on my varminter
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 3.8X12 AETEC and like it very much, as clear or clearer than my Nikon, but not finished quite as good.
Check SWFA's site they have them on sale I believe.

Lee
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three or four of the Simmons scopes and they are good glass for the cash. Spend six or eight times as much for a Leuopold and you'll be twice as happy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
As much as I hate to say it.  My AETEC has clearer optics than my Nikon oe leupold scopes.  The optics are clear and bright, BUT the tubes are not strong.  The only tube that I've ever foled in half was on an AETEC.  Luckily, Simmmons replaced for about $30.  ZT
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
How in the Heck did you fold a scope in half Zu?

Lee
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How in the Heck did you fold a scope in half Zu?

Lee

Ya and why would you want to??
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have an idea of how you did it, but I am going to wait for the story from you, ZU.

Come on tell us please! I really am curious!

Lee
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The older model whitetail classic 1.5x5 that i have has been great.Its been on and off some of my various guns more than a few times,slug guns,30-06,50 cal. muzzeloader.Like it so much i bought one of those 2.5x8 whitetail classic closeouts cdnn is advertising for 70.00.Its sighted but hasnt really proved itself yet.Probably would have bought an aetec if i had not have found that great deal.Have had bad luck with bushnell and or any scope less than 100.00 regular price.Nikon and leupold are my favorites,although my leupold is curently out for repairs for a overly stiff power adjustment ring..Had a redfield tracker that performed like a stallion until a very hard drop,god forgive me for the words that came out of my mouth that snowy day.Had a high dollar pentax that was a POS.Have a weaver v-seies that seems very good also.I understand weaver,simmons an redfield are all owned by the same company now.In my opinion in general you get what you pay for,the more you pay the more you get.But there are exceptions to the rule..and some of us cant buy 300.00+ scopes for all or even any of our guns.My experience has been if you dont spend about 130.00 or more on a scope(retail)you might spend a lot more on ammo chasing the 10 ring around only to realize its a POS.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top