Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2002 6:21:28 AM EDT
I couldn't help myself.  I sold my Leupold LR/T 6.5-20 to my brother and plopped down much green for a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 w/ NP-R2 reticle.  From the reviews I've read they are on par with S&B but able to go to hell and back.  I saw a review where the author drove nails with his and when he mounted it, it held zero.  I'm even told that these track identically from scope to scope and model to model.

I guess my question is...

Does anyone have one of these?  ...and are there things I need to know before I mount it to my rifle?  I'm just planning on lapping the rings before I mount.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Best scopes ever made.  I take them over US Optics, S&B, or Leupold.    
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You know some day I'll have to try one of those. I've looked at them, but they always seemed too big and expensive. But I keep hearing good things about them.

But for now, I kind of like my LEICA 4-14x40 for the right combination of weight, power, and cost. ($800)
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You know some day I'll have to try one of those. I've looked at them, but they always seemed too big and expensive.

Wow they must have gotten bigger and quadrupled in price if DMCI is saying that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Lately, I have been experimenting with smaller USO scopes as well. Here is a 3.2-17x44 with a 30mm tube. Using USO mount and rings, it makes a fairly compact package on a M700 long action.

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that's a nice looking rifle. Bet it shoots fine too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]
DMCI,

I've looked for a Leica rifle scope and not been able to find one.  I have a set of Leica binoculars and absolutely love them.  I'm sure their scopes are just as good.  

Did Leica quit making rifle scopes or just importing them into the US?

Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't know. I bought the Leica scope at a gun shop a few years ago. He had several in those funny little wooden boxes. I haven't had reason to look since.

The optics appear to be world class, but the tube assembly is nothing special as you can see.

It does work really well on my antelope rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Claybuster,

I have the same scope/reticle on my George Gardner-built bolt gun.  It is absolutely the finest scope I have ever used.  The R2 reticle is awesome for ranging and for holdover.  All I did was follow the lapping instructions that came with the scope.  Also, Wes is right--Don't bother the illumination setting.  Excellent choice in optics!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, I saw them in a recent Cabela's catalog.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top