Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2002 5:22:49 AM EDT
I received a question via E-Mail about the following photo and the Doctor Optics red-dot sight on top of a Trijicon ACOG where the rear ghost-ring sight usually sits.  

Can anyone advise if this is a custom mount or is this available from Doctor?

www.Quarterbore.com
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a KAC mount but a prototype - and not for commercial sale.

Board member GJ has come up with a relatively inexpensive version.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Does GJ sell this mount?  If so, how can I get my greedy hands on one?

-Fuji
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the latest pricing on a Doctor Optics?

Thanks,

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It is indeed a KAC mount.  I've seen one first-hand.  It's a sweet set-up.  Both sights are lined up with each other.  The system is intended to allow an operator to immediately transition from a distant threat to a close-in threat.  How did you come across the photo, if I may ask?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The photo is from Dave Lutz (coldblue on the forums) of KAC.  We hadn't discussed the sight when we talked about the RAS II and I had three seperate people E-Mail about this in the past day!

Sounds like some serious interest to me!  Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, the picture shows what looks like a Tasco Optima not a Docter Optics.  
I have 2 Optimas and 2 Docter Optics.  
Look at the rear part of the sight and you'll see a hole for an adjustment screw.
Look at my Optima on my Uzi and see the same hole to the rear of the sight.

There is no hole at that location at the rear of the docter sight as seen in this pic of my Uzi again w/ the .45 Grease Gun conversion.

I mention this because the mounts are NOT compatible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Amphibian - the new MIL-Spec Dr Optik is M1913 rail compatible (and 200m depth water resistant for those who care - I am not so I think its moot)

GJ made a bunch for AR15.com members but I think do to the effort involved he onmly makes them in spurts (groups of 10 at a time or so)?  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Canadian_tactical, yes I do know about the new Dr. optics but my point is that it is not a docter in the picture posted by quarterbore.  I've seen the new Milspec Docter sight and it doesn't have that hole in the rear.  The hole in the rear is used to lock in the adjustments for the Tasco Optima/Firepoint.  The Docter uses two screws on the very back.  The pictures I've seen of the new Milspec Docter sight is the same as the Docter Sights I have now.
There is another website that I've seen that I can't find at the moment that has a lot of pictures of the Optima on top of the Acog and it is not a Docter.
Whether or not KAC is making mounts for the Docter now instead of the Optima I don't know.  I would think that they should since the Tasco is now unavailable (I guess they could use the Firepoint which is the OEM).  The Docter is superior anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Amphibian - the KAC mount I did not pay much attention to after talking to Dave Lutz and learning it was not going to be a production item.

GJ makes a M1913 rail mount that takes either the DR Oor the Optima.

I have both the Opt and the Dr and I prefer the Dr but...
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys,

just a question , is this Dr.Opt. a reliable , rugged , militaryproof device ?

Thanks 4 yr answers,

PP out
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't tried it on an ACOG yet, but on the HK.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Ned at MSP ( Mounting Solutions Plus ) just showed me a picture of a similar mount he was making a while back. I don't think he has any  now but maybe he could help. He's a great guy. He has helped our unit out with a lot of mounts. He's also an Aimpoint dealer and carries the ARMS mounts.  WWW.mountsplus.com

Peter
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]
So, can someone confirm just how this mount works...  Is this mount some type of ring that mounts around the ACOG that in turn has a Mil-Std-1913 rail that the second optic mounts to?

If so, wouldn't this be a pretty good idea for an AR-15 tactical rifle using a traditional high-power scope....?  

Take the Mk 11 Mod O type system as an example....

You could have a second quick pointing backup sight if things were to happen up close and personal....  Any Oppinions?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quaterbore - it has been tried

Wes Grant (MSTN) has also posted pics here www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=138756 of the sights on the ARMS rings

The Simrad ring will also fit a DR Optic
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Again!

Just when I think I have a full list of what I want to do with my rifles somebody points out a way to add a new attachment!

Hell, I might like something like this on my hunting rifles as well as there are times when a deer get's closser then I would like with my normal scope.

Very intersting concept!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top