AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About 10 mags per rifle is a good baseline. You have seven as a basic combat load out and 3 to make up for lost or damaged mags. However having lived in California during the high capacity mag ban I can tell you that I am now a mag whore and can never have enough mags. Just before the ban went into effect I saw old beat up M16 mags going for 40 bucks each and Glock mags for 70 dollars each. Every time I think back to those days I order another ten mags from PSA or Midway. If you knew that next year all of those mags would be banned what would you want in your inventory and how many. Then go out and buy them now before it becomes an issue. On a side note different capacity mags will serve different purposes so 20 rounders are good for the bench, thirty rounders are more common and good balance for capacity and weight and the higher capacity mags like 40 and greater are good break contact spray and pray with the rage kind of day. Don't think of specialty mags in your count as to your base line number mags. Thirty round mags are the base line for AR15s and AKs.
View Quote

Good post. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have about 30 magazines. Twenty 30-rounders and ten 20 rounders. Is that enough or should I have more?
View Quote
Everyone is going to have a different amount.
Myself, I'm a bit of an Ammo and Mag Whore...  Honestly, I don't ever see me having too many.

For guns you hardly shoot, I'd say 6-10 very Minimum.

For me, Glocks, ARs and guns you shoot a lot, I say build up to 20 or 30 per gun, then once or twice a year, catch a dozen or so on sale.
Once you get enough to fill your normal goto Ammo locker or shelves. Buy Totes...  
Don't even open the Magpul wrappers, just leave them be.  
Then at some point in the future you can either peel off a few to sell and get as pretty good return or use for trade bait for something else you want need.  You don't have to be a Neck Bearder and buy out every store, just catch a few on sale here and there and keep adding.  Over time, It really adds up.

I have a few of those Footlockers you can buy from Cabelas with a tow handle on one end and Wheels on the other.  
I dump all my "Overstock" mags in them for good keeping and quick mobility if I need...  

I've even got a dozen or so .308Pmags and I've never even had a .308 AR...  Its on my list of wants...

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’d say 10 is a good number. More is better obviously.
View Quote

Agreed. 10 is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
if your answer can't be "all of them"

then it's obviously 87..  per rifle...
View Quote
It's like we're playing cards with our sister's kids...
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got about slightly over 100 30+rounds mags so far and I'm still trying to get more, I agree it's a personal preference.

About half of mine are aluminum USGI type and half are synthetic. Two are 40 rounds PMAG.

I also have some 20 rounds mags mostly are synthetic only a few are metal.

But I have 5 AR so far in 5.56 so it about average around 20 mags per gun.

Plus I've got a Steyr AUG carbine that I converted the stock to use NATO/ M-16/ AR-15 magazines.

If you only have one AR try to get another (or more) as backup and plenty of spare parts for SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if your answer can't be "all of them"

then it's obviously 87..  per rifle...

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think its everyones duty to buy as many as can be afforded to make obsolete any future magazine laws.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:... 
Don't even open the Magpul wrappers, just leave them be.  
Then at some point in the future you can either peel off a few to sell and get as pretty good return or use for trade bait for something else you want need.  You don't have to be a Neck Bearder and buy out every store, just catch a few on sale here and there and keep adding.  Over time, It really adds up...
View Quote

The bolded part above is something I thought of as well but it they put in place another hi-cap mag ban, my hunch is they will make the ones already around illegal to sell/transfer.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. It shouldn't be more than $200 for 20 more mags.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think its everyones duty to buy as many as can be afforded to make obsolete any future magazine laws.
View Quote

With that thinking, why don't you own as many AR-15s as can be afforded? They were banned at the same time high capacity magazines were. They are under the same levels of attack that magazines are. Why not own hundreds of AR-15s?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Always have "extras", and don't keep them all in the same place.  Look at what happened to Taran Tactical.  They lost an entire building full of pre-ban mags in a California fire.  They can't buy new ones.  You know, that "all your eggs in one basket" thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Always have "extras", and don't keep them all in the same place.  Look at what happened to Taran Tactical.  They lost an entire building full of pre-ban mags in a California fire.  They can't buy new ones.  You know, that "all your eggs in one basket" thing.
View Quote

Good advice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top