Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used the following:
Gen 2&3 30 rnd Pmags
Straight 20 rnd Pmags
20&30 rnd Lancers
1 Troy mag which someone gave me
A handful of TangoDown ARC 30 rnd magazines

Ive had no problems at all with Lancers, and they are what I prefer. PMags are a close second; I've had a few cracked feedlips after long use/abuse. I haven't used the Troy mag very much, but I don't recall any issues. I got the ARC magazines cheap when I first started getting into ARs, and they are very hit or miss on reliability. FWIW, I think mine are Gen 1 ARC mags, supposedly they made a Gen 2 which fixed the feeding issues but I haven't heard anything about them in years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancers are the absolute best there is, period.  Pmags are great too.  I would trust my life with either of these 2 mags.  

Only other polymer mags Ive tried are Troy and MFT extreme duty.  The Troy mag just feels flimsy and cheap to me.  I've heard that the MFT first gen mags are garbage, but this MFT extreme duty seems pretty sturdy and well built actually.  Haven't seen any tests or anything though.

Bottom line is Lancer and PMag are both top of the line, so there's really no reason to "experiment" with anything else in polymer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Lancers are the absolute best there is, period.  Pmags are great too.  I would trust my life with either of these 2 mags.  

Only other polymer mags Ive tried are Troy and MFT extreme duty.  The Troy mag just feels flimsy and cheap to me.  I've heard that the MFT first gen mags are garbage, but this MFT extreme duty seems pretty sturdy and well built actually.  Haven't seen any tests or anything though.

Bottom line is Lancer and PMag are both top of the line, so there's really no reason to "experiment" with anything else in polymer.
View Quote

ALWAYS, ALWAYS experiment.  How will you know if something better comes out if you don't test it?  The ammo costs more than the mags at this point.

In CONUS, translucent Lancers for 5.56, so you have a chance of seeing an errant .300 Blackout round in there.  ETS may work as well, have had good luck w/ their Glock pattern running 40 rnds of steel in my SUB-2000.  OCONUS, PMag Gen 3, should fit any NATO 5.56 arm you come across, including the HKs & the M249, other than the Belgian F2000.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
PMags are the gold standard.  Lancers are good as well.

I had a few Thermolds that were absolute junk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
PMAGs are the best.

I use them in everything... ARs, AUGs, and G36s.

I've got a few Lancers too, but (per testing) they are not the best. Mine are range mags.

I still use a bunch of old USGI aluminum 30s and a few 20s too. Retro weapons need retro mags, you know?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Orlites... one of the worse functioning mags for an AR15 ever... Lol

So bad... they are good for training. ( not a selling point ) ... the body could swell so much, you couldn't insert them into the magwell.

Wildly low service life.

Feed lips cracked from even dropping them on the dirt.

I vaguely remember them truly being designed as a throw away mag.

View Quote

I think I have a few old Orlites around here somewhere.  I don't remember having any problems with them, but I only used them as range mags.  Maybe when I hit the lottery and have enough money to buy ammo again, I'll dig them up and see if they still run.  IIRC, the Thermolds had a reputation for breaking at the seams.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have quite a few of them I'm trying to get them all. I have a bunch of videos ive made on them during the testing of them. Once i am brave enough to post the I'll put them up.
Magpul is obviously the leader of the pack in pr8ce and quality. Hera is a great mag but impossible to find. Lancers work pretty good (I'm still personally paranoid of clear or translucent mags) but the lyrics really don't like if you use them as a bipod or brace. Daniel defense work fine but 32 instead of 30 isn't worth the high price. Ets are cool because not only are they clear but you can link them without parts but they are brittle and on some lowers the bolt eats the feed lips. Amend2 I'd avoid (amend2 I believe makes mags for other people and I'd avoid those too black rain and starr are examples). Orlight they sucked in the 90s and they haven't gotten any better with age. Thermolds I have samples from the 90s and 2016 other than mild cosmetics no changes they aren't good.  Troy no malfunctions but they are infuriating to take apart and put back together, plus they are slippery.  Mft gen 1 was one of the worst, mft gen 2 is an improvement but they still aren't great Especially since I can buy magpuls for cheaper in my area. Kci is better than I expected I wouldn't bet my life on them but as cheap as they are good for range use. Ugt is also fine for range but kinda meh. Promag has multiple flavors and so far I only have the basic one, your expectations should be low.  I get 3 of each mag for testing. Mag 1 is the shooter mag, mag 2 is the abuse mag (hot, cold, drop, chemical), mag 3 is static test spring is measured length and strength then left loaded. After 1 year I go check the spring
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I have quite a few of them I'm trying to get them all. I have a bunch of videos ive made on them during the testing of them. Once i am brave enough to post the I'll put them up.https://imgur.com/a/cNmRAlv
Magpul is obviously the leader of the pack in pr8ce and quality. Hera is a great mag but impossible to find. Lancers work pretty good (I'm still personally paranoid of clear or translucent mags) but the lyrics really don't like if you use them as a bipod or brace. Daniel defense work fine but 32 instead of 30 isn't worth the high price. Ets are cool because not only are they clear but you can link them without parts but they are brittle and on some lowers the bolt eats the feed lips. Amend2 I'd avoid (amend2 I believe makes mags for other people and I'd avoid those too black rain and starr are examples). Orlight they sucked in the 90s and they haven't gotten any better with age. Thermolds I have samples from the 90s and 2016 other than mild cosmetics no changes they aren't good.  Troy no malfunctions but they are infuriating to take apart and put back together, plus they are slippery.  Mft gen 1 was one of the worst, mft gen 2 is an improvement but they still aren't great Especially since I can buy magpuls for cheaper in my area. Kci is better than I expected I wouldn't bet my life on them but as cheap as they are good for range use. Ugt is also fine for range but kinda meh. Promag has multiple flavors and so far I only have the basic one, your expectations should be low.  I get 3 of each mag for testing. Mag 1 is the shooter mag, mag 2 is the abuse mag (hot, cold, drop, chemical), mag 3 is static test spring is measured length and strength then left loaded. After 1 year I go check the spring
View Quote

Which of the polymer ProMags are you testing?  The RollerMag or their older type?  I've not had any issues w/ my RollerMag, but I've not tried to abuse it.  My pre-ban RamLine multi-mags are my most delicate.  My 3-round Magnetospeed is the cutest.

Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Yep, this is the one.  Guy did extensive testing of all then-available AR15 magazines.  

Take-aware from the assessment?   Lancer.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Because of you fine 2A’ers, I thought I would buy Lancers. Having only used Magpuls in the past, all I can say is WOW!

The Lancers are a magnitude higher than Magpul.

Thank you for helping me spend money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I got the ARC magazines cheap when I first started getting into ARs, and they are very hit or miss on reliability. FWIW, I think mine are Gen 1 ARC mags, supposedly they made a Gen 2 which fixed the feeding issues but I haven't heard anything about them in years.
View Quote

I was going to mention the TD ARC mags also. I have a few of the Mk2 version that I picked up a while back when the late Pat Rogers from EAG Tactical was recommending them, as I hadn't seen them and was curious. They're definitely tough, and mine fed fine, but one had an issue with failing to lock the bolt back in a particular rifle. Others worked fine, just that one in a specific rifle, so probably a tolerance stacking issue. TD offered to swap it for me (I paid shipping), said they couldn't replicate the issue, and the replacement they sent me did the same thing, which was strange. My others worked fine. I still have that one marked with a piece of tape on each side to identify it. I'd be confident that they would function fine otherwise, but... they're just kind of ugly and don't offer any advantage over PMAGs or Lancers.

I like Lancers, but I'm not enamored with them the way a lot of people seem to be. My only real misgiving about them is that they are harder to seat on a closed bolt when full compared to PMAGs, at least in my experience. The metal feedlips are nice, but I haven't had problems with PMAG feedlips spreading like other people report. Lancers are more expensive than PMAGs, and it seems like the price goes up by a dollar every year or so. PMAGs have served me well, and I like the many options in their line. Having said that, I think both are head and shoulders above the rest of the polymer mag options.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pmags , Troy and Lancers.

Lancers are superior in every way.

Next Troys

Last pmags

Still prefer good old fashioned GI mags though.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Good Metal Mags are still the best (in my opinion)

Never really warmed up to PMAGs & all the hype, but Lancers are vey nice!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got some Amend2 grendel mags will gladly sell...
View Quote

Lol that bad, huh?

Try e-landers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like Lancers, but I'm not enamored with them the way a lot of people seem to be. My only real misgiving about them is that they are harder to seat on a closed bolt when full compared to PMAGs, at least in my experience. The metal feedlips are nice, but I haven't had problems with PMAG feedlips spreading like other people report. Lancers are more expensive than PMAGs, and it seems like the price goes up by a dollar every year or so. PMAGs have served me well, and I like the many options in their line. Having said that, I think both are head and shoulders above the rest of the polymer mag options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the ARC magazines cheap when I first started getting into ARs, and they are very hit or miss on reliability. FWIW, I think mine are Gen 1 ARC mags, supposedly they made a Gen 2 which fixed the feeding issues but I haven't heard anything about them in years.

You should take a look at ETS mag's if that's an issue and you still value clear magazine construction.  I like the ETS mags too, they are quite tough and I've never had a problem.  I consider ETS my #2 choice, after Lancer as my #1.  One item ETS does is they reverse the order of the rounds going in, so the top #30 round is "on the wrong side".  They do this be design, as much of the issue with seating a mag has to do with the natural tilt to the mag that it will have depending on what side of the top of the mag, the last round is on (and engaging upon the under side of the bolt).  In many guns, this is a lot more significant than people think.  In a conventional mag, download to 29 rounds and it seats better - is a common consensus.  That has less to do with the 1/30th reduction in spring tension, than the side of the mag the round is on.  In many mags, if you drop it down to 28 rounds, it gets harder again.   To address that, ETS flipped the side the top round is on, on a full 30, so that it will seat easier under a closed bolt.  Since this is something you appear to dislike at times on some mags, give one a shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Got some ODG Mapuls, they seem fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've used the following:
Gen 2&3 30 rnd Pmags
Straight 20 rnd Pmags
20&30 rnd Lancers
1 Troy mag which someone gave me

Ive had no problems at all with Lancers, and they are what I prefer. PMags are a close second; I've had a few cracked feedlips after long use/abuse. I haven't used the Troy mag very much, but I don't recall any issues. I got the ARC magazines cheap when I first started getting into ARs, and they are very hit or miss on reliability. FWIW, I think mine are Gen 1 ARC mags, supposedly they made a Gen 2 which fixed the feeding issues but I haven't heard anything about them in years.
View Quote
Exactly my experience.  My go-go poly mags are Lancers, second Pmags.   I have a pile of TD Arc gen 1 mags I got cheap a long time ago, I haven't had any issues but I retain those mostly for range use.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
USGI aluminum, PMAG’s and some C Products stainless steel mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have many and I rank them in the following order:

Beta
Pmag
Lancer
Orlite
HK gen2
Hex
Mission First

The gap are to reflect the fact that these are different tiers / classes of mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have many and I rank them in the following order:

Beta
Pmag
Lancer
View Quote
Did Beta manufacture another mag besides their C Mag?

C Mags aren't so good.
D-60 is way mo' better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/KiocRNc.jpeg

Which of the polymer ProMags are you testing?  The RollerMag or their older type?  I've not had any issues w/ my RollerMag, but I've not tried to abuse it.  My pre-ban RamLine multi-mags are my most delicate.  My 3-round Magnetospeed is the cutest.

Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?
View Quote

I now have all the promags. Roller mag, the original, and now their metal. I will say the spring in the roller mag was rather unusual but so far no problems have been reported with it. I have a pair of ramlines lol at one point I had like 10 but they were hands down the worst mag Ive ever used. Hadn't heard of the Magnetospeed until just now I must acquire one. Thank you for the welcome. Dont understand the lego reference thohttps://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=squote&b=3&f=17&t=770935&tl=Anyone-own-all-flavors-of-polymer-mags-Comparison-&r=8405512&page=2#
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone try Wilson Combat Poly mags ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I have dozens of GI aluminum 20 and 30 round mags from all the usual manufacturers going back to 1960's and I don't remember having any problem with them in my AR rifles/pistols...but I always down-loaded them to 18 and 28 rounds.  I had one Colt 30 round mag kept loaded with 28 rounds for 11 or 12 years and it fired all 28 rounds with no problem.  I have a second one that's been kept loaded for 17 years now that I plan to shoot in 3 years.      

I have dozens of 10, 20 and 30 round G2 P Mags and I never had any problems with them.  I have one 20 and one 30 round P mags that I kept in my truck for past 4 years that I plan to shoot this summer.  I expect it will work without problem.

I have a dozen 30 round Thermold mags that I got back in 1999 or 2000 and they have all worked without problem in my AR rifles/pistols and my AR-180B.  The plastic used on these mags seems softer than P mag but they still worked fine but I never kept one loaded for extended period.  I would be a little hesitant to keep them fully loaded in my truck as the heat may have negative effect on the feed lips.  

I had 2 Orlite Israeli surplus mags that fed fine in limited use but had dimensional issues as they were very tight in some AR mag wells.  I never used them except as range mag for short period.

I had few 20 round Ramline plastic mags in late 1980's that never worked right.  They all had occasional feeding problems and the brittle plastic used to chip and crack.  One spring went soft after a year of use.      
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  I have dozens of GI aluminum 20 and 30 round mags from all the usual manufacturers going back to 1960's and I don't remember having any problem with them in my AR rifles/pistols...but I always down-loaded them to 18 and 28 rounds.

I had few 20 round Ramline plastic mags in late 1980's that never worked right.  They all had occasional feeding problems and the brittle plastic used to chip and crack.  One spring went soft after a year of use.
View Quote

Pre-ban mags are worth quite a bit in Massachusetts, still legal.

Magpul springs are exact replacements for 30 round Ramline Tri-Mag springs, both made in Colorado.  I find that interesting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Part of my job involves plenty of frequent rifle shooting with almost 2-dozen guys. I've seen a variety of magazines being used over the years, and they've all failed at one point. The ones that fail the least are M3 PMAGs. M2 PMAGs, modern Lancers, and Okay USGI are tied for second place. I like Lancers a lot, but their Achilles heal seems to be dirt/dust/sand. When they fail, it's because the follower gets stuck on grit that enters the bag body. A thorough cleaning seems to remedy this issue. Hexmags and Troy are in the middle. ETS mags are near the bottom, along with myriad other random-name polymer mags.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Magpul - great.
Daniel Defense - great also.
Lancer - another good or even great mag.
Hexmag - the Gen2's work for me.
Amend2 - 10 rd Mod-2 mags in my case, again these feed okay for me but I've had issues with LRBHO function in one lower running a hydraulic buffer.
ETS - not a fan of their AR mags, have a couple that just don't play nice.
Schmeisser - 60 rd mag works good for me.
Beta Mags - hell yeah!

Now for the sleeper in the bunch - MSAR, that's right I said MSAR. Bought some 30's and 40's years ago at a fun show and they are great range mags.

Now TBH I'd probably trust only the first 3 on my list in a social situation. Having said that I've moved away from Lancers because they rattle in my guns. Odd reason I know but I hunt with AR's so there you go YMMV.
View Quote

I've been looking for the MSAR mags cant find them anywhere
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

THESE ?

Or THESE ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul - great.
Daniel Defense - great also.
Lancer - another good or even great mag.
Hexmag - the Gen2's work for me.
Amend2 - 10 rd Mod-2 mags in my case, again these feed okay for me but I've had issues with LRBHO function in one lower running a hydraulic buffer.
ETS - not a fan of their AR mags, have a couple that just don't play nice.
Schmeisser - 60 rd mag works good for me.
Beta Mags - hell yeah!

Now for the sleeper in the bunch - MSAR, that's right I said MSAR. Bought some 30's and 40's years ago at a fun show and they are great range mags.

Now TBH I'd probably trust only the first 3 on my list in a social situation. Having said that I've moved away from Lancers because they rattle in my guns. Odd reason I know but I hunt with AR's so there you go YMMV.

I got a gold translucent MSAR mag to try out, it was awful.  Apparently they have that reputation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like Lancers a lot, but their Achilles heal seems to be dirt/dust/sand. When they fail, it's because the follower gets stuck on grit that enters the bag body. A thorough cleaning seems to remedy this issue.
View Quote

That's very interesting. As most people probably already know, the Army just selected SIG's candidate for the Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) rifle that will be issued to the close combat force (infantry, armor, combat engineers, medics, etc.). SIG uses a magazine that's clearly a Lancer design, which makes sense since Lancer also makes their MPX mags. I wonder if/when the Army solicits another contract, if other manufacturers will submit bids to produce magazines for the NGSW. Or if Magpul will develop a 6.8 design in the meantime as an alternate magazine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Or if Magpul will develop a 6.8 design in the meantime as an alternate magazine.
View Quote
They will if they're smart.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did Beta manufacture another mag besides their C Mag?

C Mags aren't so good.
D-60 is way mo' better.
View Quote

I could not disagree more.  I have a D-Mag and its ok but its not the Beta product.  I have a few that are refurbs going on 30 years old and still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a D-Mag and its ok but its not the Beta product.  I have a few that are refurbs going on 30 years old and still going strong.
View Quote
What's inferior about Magpul's drum?

Don't you have to lube your Beta C to keep it running reliably? How does it do with steel cased ammo (if you've tried)?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Oh man, I remember that test!  That was totally wild (and maybe even a little over the top) and got my interest in Lancers.  I couldn’t remember which magazine it was that was glued together and honestly, I’m surprised Tango Down is still in the magazine game with Lancers being the best and PMags being the most popular.  Something about a magazine I can’t take apart to clean just doesn’t thrill me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

THESE ?

Or THESE ?
View Quote

Oh this makes me happy. Everywhere I found them was out of stock. Now off to find emags
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I got a gold translucent MSAR mag to try out, it was awful.  Apparently they have that reputation.
View Quote

Oh yeah I've gotten to see several terrible ones. Right now the Hexmag carbon is the worst. It might feed and work fine but it don't fit in any lower lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I have Pmags, Lancers, Hexmag, and Troys.  I haven't had any issues with any of them but the Troys feel pretty cheap and flimsy compared to the others.  Lancer and Pmag are my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have Pmags, Lancers, Hexmag, and Troys.  I haven't had any issues with any of them but the Troys feel pretty cheap and flimsy compared to the others.  Lancer and Pmag are my favorite.
View Quote

I have personally found the Troys to be infuriating to take apart. Sure they come apart not too hard but its not easy. Also they failed my drop tests notably the base plate.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have personally found the Troys to be infuriating to take apart. Sure they come apart not too hard but its not easy. Also they failed my drop tests notably the base plate.
View Quote

IME, the Troy Battle mags can't even make a 1/4 mile atv ride to the range fully loaded without puking rounds out. A good slap on the shooting bench will set them free as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So bad... they are good for training. ( not a selling point ) ... the body could swell so much, you couldn't insert them into the magwell.

Wildly low service life.

View Quote

Orlites were designed to be a throw away mag use once leave it on the battle field,i remember getting them for about 3 bucks apiece(1990's).
i never loaded 30 rounds in one usually stopped at 25 and they functioned fine,started splitting at 200-250 rounds though
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wildly low service life.

View Quote

Are those the plastic mags that had the Canadian maple leaf symbol?
I remember being in the Guard and being issued plastic mags with the maple leaf. This is around '93-'94 iirc. They were awful. We would load them up and set them on a table untouched and count until they spit out a round or two. Usually they would spit rounds in only a few seconds. And if you dropped a loaded one...went off like a grenade squirting ammo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Have Magpul in numbers, thinning to Lancers now.

Others are junk.  

Lancers are nice because it is easy to glance at the rounds count if needed and metal feed lips.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Magpul gen 3 window are my standard. I’ve got 3 dozen loaded in a can that I cycle through for training.

Thousands of rounds on those mags without issue. I’ve got 40-50 more Magpul mags sitting in reserve unused.

Lancers are solid and I’ve got a dozen or more.

GI mags with Magpul followers are solid as well. Probably have a hundred.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#44]
PMAGs are THE best and has the USMC trial data to back it up.

Lancer mags bring unnecessary complexity in my opinion. The whole point of plastic mags is to prevent any deformation of metal components that would render a mag out of spec. They also came in last place in the USMC trials and didn't even make it far to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like Lancers, but I'm not enamored with them the way a lot of people seem to be. My only real misgiving about them is that they are harder to seat on a closed bolt when full compared to PMAGs, at least in my experience.
View Quote

I revisited this today and discovered something interesting. While comparing two fully loaded Lancers, one produced in 2013 and one from 2020, I noticed that the 2020 magazine was much easier to seat on a closed bolt than the 2013. Trying to insert the 2013 mag, I could not get it to lock in place by gripping around the magazine and attempting to firmly push it up into the magwell. I got it to seat once after a significant amount of force. It would only lock reliably by inserting it and then smacking the bottom of the magazine. The 2020 magazine, on the other hand, would lock in place with a moderate amount of pushing while gripping around the magazine. I've probably only used the 2020 once or twice a the range, while the 2013 mag has gone through a number of cycles.

I disassembled them and discovered that the post at the front of the internal locking plate at the base of the magazine is taller on the 2013 magazine. Clearly that's preventing the follower and spring from compressing as far when inserting the mag. Lancer obviously noted the locking issue and modified the design to make it easier. Here are the 2020 locking plate on the left and 2013 on the right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
PMAGs are THE best and has the USMC trial data to back it up.

Lancer mags bring unnecessary complexity in my opinion. The whole point of plastic mags is to prevent any deformation of metal components that would render a mag out of spec. They also came in last place in the USMC trials and didn't even make it far to begin with.
View Quote

This is incomplete information propagated intentionally without context by specific sources. They came in last place with Mk318 ammo only (and oddly enough only in DI guns). All other ammo types they performed pretty much equally to the PMAG, and significantly better than USGI. You will also note that in the test they held unrelated weapon failures against the magazine. This is why many industry insiders grumbled about corruption.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I have mostly Pmags, USGI (Okay, Center, Brownells, and D&H), and Lancer. I also have one Hexmag and one ETS mag.

IMO the ETS and Hexmag are just ok and are strictly for range use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Lancers (30s & 20s) and Magpuls (30s & 20s) are the go-to’s for me, don’t think I’ve had any problems with either. Daniel Defense mags are great as well. I’d stay clear of ETS, Hexmag, MFT mags if you’re looking to use them for anything other than the range.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top