BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Says stamped with cage code Q4TQ4. That's the D&H cage code.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I plead ignorance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
I plead ignorance.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
I plead ignorance.
Someone out there has to know something.

I find it interesting that @Brownells didn't even pop in here to deny having purchased the tooling the last time I @Brownells'd them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't see any spot welds on spine or face.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I couldn't make it out in the pics. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View All Quotes

I used the enhance enhance enhance feature on my phone.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359356/1A7097B1-8063-4944-A7CC-DC550E9DACF2_png-2739998.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359356/1A7097B1-8063-4944-A7CC-DC550E9DACF2_png-2739998.JPG

I tried, my phone must suck ass.

Reading the product description would have been too easy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I really regret not grabbing some 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Stumbled upon a few new old stock Okay mags from 2003 with restricted markings recently. kind of cool i think.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of things regarding AR-15 magazines, so  I suppose I'll ask it here:

I always loved these Okay Industries AR-15 mags but unfortunately I neglected to stockpile them back when they were around. I only have a supply of around 20. So what are the best alternative aluminum mags now that the Okay mags are out? I hear good things about Brownell's AR-15 magazines. D&H is also a name I hear brought up a lot, but I also hear they're not quite as good as Okay's. Anything that compares in quality?

Also, what's the latest rumor on anyone buying the tooling to manufacture Okay mags again?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]
Originally Posted By gameragodzilla:
I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of things regarding AR-15 magazines, so  I suppose I'll ask it here:

I always loved these Okay Industries AR-15 mags but unfortunately I neglected to stockpile them back when they were around. I only have a supply of around 20. So what are the best alternative aluminum mags now that the Okay mags are out? I hear good things about Brownell's AR-15 magazines. D&H is also a name I hear brought up a lot, but I also hear they're not quite as good as Okay's. Anything that compares in quality?

Also, what's the latest rumor on anyone buying the tooling to manufacture Okay mags again?
View Quote

IME, D&H and Brownells have been flawless. D&H tend to have sharper seams/feed lips and Brownells can look a bit sloppy at times but all have functioned well for me.

Outside of aluminum mags, Pmags are all that I use and have been solid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]

IME, D&H and Brownells have been flawless. D&H tend to have sharper seams/feed lips and Brownells can look a bit sloppy at times but all have functioned well for me.

View Quote

Haven't heard of IME yet. Of the 3, which would you recommend to stockpile for long term? I'm not too bothered about price (hence why I was willing to pay for Okays).

And yeah, I do have PMags and they work well, but my retro-ish AR doesn't look right with them and I prefer metal mags for long term stockpiling while keeping PMags for immediate use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Haven't heard of IME yet. Of the 3, which would you recommend to stockpile for long term? I'm not too bothered about price (hence why I was willing to pay for Okays).

And yeah, I do have PMags and they work well, but my retro-ish AR doesn't look right with them and I prefer metal mags for long term stockpiling while keeping PMags for immediate use.
View All Quotes

(IME= In My Experience).

I'm partial to Brownells but both are equals as far as functionality in my usage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#14]

(IME= In My Experience).

I'm partial to Brownells but both are equals as far as functionality in my usage.
View Quote

I'm a fucking idiot. lmao

I thought you mistyped IMI for a second there.

Alright, seems like Brownell's is the best alternative. I may stockpile those when I have the cash.

Also, any rumors on anyone buying Okay's magazine tooling? I did like the E2 "ribbed for her pleasure" bodies but no one is making anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Alright, seems like Brownell's is the best alternative. I may stockpile those when I have the cash.

Also, any rumors on anyone buying Okay's magazine tooling? I did like the E2 "ribbed for her pleasure" bodies but no one is making anything like that.
View All Quotes

(IME= In My Experience).

Don't sweat it, abbreviation is just laziness on my part.

And as far as info on Okay, I know nothing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

(IME= In My Experience).

Keep an eye on the Equipment Exchange. I saw some ribbed Okay's on there a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep an eye on the Equipment Exchange. I saw some ribbed Okay's on there a few days ago.
View Quote

Alright, I'll keep an eye there. I did manage to snag some off Gunbroker, albeit of course somewhat overpriced. And in limited supply as well.

Man, though, I wish I was paying attention earlier last year when the news first broke. Wonder what would be considered a good "stockpile" assuming that we aren't getting a full on mag ban anytime soon and I can still replace current mags with new ones like PMags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#18]
In need of some 20rd Magazines, and OKAYs being regrettably gone, I bought some Brownells on sale a few days back @ $8.99/ea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
In need of some 20rd Magazines, and OKAYs being regrettably gone, I bought some Brownells on sale a few days back @ $8.99/ea.
View Quote

By the way, looking on Brownell's website, why are the black mags cheaper than the grey mags? Is there anything special to the dry film?

Also, I have about 10 Okay mags that are grey with dry film. How do they compare to Brownell's? If Brownell's are good and I can't easily get E2 mags anymore (not comfortable sending money orders, honestly), probably will just save up for 100 Brownell's USGI mags to square away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]

By the way, looking on Brownell's website, why are the black mags cheaper than the grey mags? Is there anything special to the dry film?

Also, I have about 10 Okay mags that are grey with dry film. How do they compare to Brownell's? If Brownell's are good and I can't easily get E2 mags anymore (not comfortable sending money orders, honestly), probably will just save up for 100 Brownell's USGI mags to square away.
View Quote
The black Brownells mags are reminiscent of Black Teflon D&H mags. They work just fine, but I find them frustratingly slick. Like they'll work out of mag carriers before the dry film will. Or they're super slick to handle with gloves.

I prefer dry film personally
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gameragodzilla] [#21]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
The black Brownells mags are reminiscent of Black Teflon D&H mags. They work just fine, but I find them frustratingly slick. Like they'll work out of mag carriers before the dry film will. Or they're super slick to handle with gloves.

I prefer dry film personally
View Quote

Ah, makes sense why they're more expensive, then. Alright, I'll save up for those.

I do hope someone picks up at least the E2 mag design. The slickness might be helped with the added texturing those mags have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#22]
gameragodzilla:
I bought the aluminum gray ones: https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/magazines/rifle-magazines-parts/ar-15-20rd-magazine-ss-223-5-56/?sku=078000160
The (1) single price x 10 is better than the 10 qty or greater price. I paid $8.49 each.
Sorry, I don't know about the slick black ones - I prefer dull matte gray. Isn't the 20 black a steel waffle style repro mag from a 3rd party (Nodak Spud)?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
gameragodzilla:
I bought the aluminum gray ones: https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/magazines/rifle-magazines-parts/ar-15-20rd-magazine-ss-223-5-56/?sku=078000160
The (1) single price x 10 is better than the 10 qty or greater price. I paid $8.49 each.
Sorry, I don't know about the slick black ones - I prefer dull matte gray. Isn't the 20 black a steel waffle style repro mag from a 3rd party (Nodak Spud)?
View Quote

Oh, I'm looking at the 30 rounders, which are quite cheap for slick black, but does go up to over $10 per mag with the dry film grey ones. https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/magazines/rifle-magazines-parts/ar-15-magazines-aluminum/?sku=430102732

So I'm just gonna save up and wait for a potential sale or deal and then buy 100 of those. Should immediately be enough for every possible use and last me quite a while, especially if they're comparable in quality to the non-E2 Okay mags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I have quite a few D&H mags and they've all be flawless.  As Tig says ... they are definitely "less refined" than OKAY insomuch as they do have sharp edges.  

I have a massive stockpile of Brownells mags ... TWO ... one of which never has functioned properly.  I didn't buy more after my first two since I had a 50% failure rate.

Most of the factory aluminum mags I've received with new rifles were rebranded D&H.  Colt being the exception (they used OKAY and their subsidiaries).  BCM, PSA, etc. = D&H.

My mag preferences are...

#1 Okay with newest generation follower
#2 D&H with MagPul follower
#3 PMAG Gen 2 (prefer the design of Gen 3 but they don't fit in all of my lowers)

I use PMAGS for range, but keep aluminum mags loaded for when the alien squid invade from outer space and want to probe my butt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
If someone was using their tooling & dies, even if they couldn't use the name, I'm sure they'd have proudly announced it by now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Regrettaly, I believe you are right!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

I have quite a few D&H mags and they've all be flawless.  As Tig says ... they are definitely "less refined" than OKAY insomuch as they do have sharp edges.  

I have a massive stockpile of Brownells mags ... TWO ... one of which never has functioned properly.  I didn't buy more after my first two since I had a 50% failure rate.

Most of the factory aluminum mags I've received with new rifles were rebranded D&H.  Colt being the exception (they used OKAY and their subsidiaries).  BCM, PSA, etc. = D&H.

My mag preferences are...

#1 Okay with newest generation follower
#2 D&H with MagPul follower
#3 PMAG Gen 2 (prefer the design of Gen 3 but they don't fit in all of my lowers)

I use PMAGS for range, but keep aluminum mags loaded for when the alien squid invade from outer space and want to probe my butt.
View Quote

Are the new followers available from anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
are these Brownells aluminum mags rebranded D&H?  they kinda look like the old Brownells, which I thought were the Okay-sourced mags?

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I always beleive Brownell's made their own... "Each Brownells 5.56mm AR-15 magazine is built to military specifications and are held to ISO quality-control standards and are made by Brownells itself."   https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/magazines/rifle-magazines-parts/ar-15-magazines-aluminum/
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I always beleive Brownell's made their own... "Each Brownells 5.56mm AR-15 magazine is built to military specifications and are held to ISO quality-control standards and are made by Brownells itself."   https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/magazines/rifle-magazines-parts/ar-15-magazines-aluminum/
View Quote

Co-Line made the Brownells mags for a long minute.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By x248716x:
are these Brownells aluminum mags rebranded D&H?  they kinda look like the old Brownells, which I thought were the Okay-sourced mags?

https://www.brownells.com/globalassets/10000/1e/l_078000160_2.jpg?width=1500&format=webp&quality=80

https://www.brownells.com/globalassets/10001/c8/430102730_1.jpg?width=1500&format=webp&quality=80
View Quote

The Okay 20's middle rib doesn't run all the way to the bottom of the mag body like the Brownells mag does, and the Okay feedlips don't run all the way back to the rear of the body like 30 rounders and the Brownells mags. The Brownells mags are basically cut down 30s.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AK-12:
The Brownells mags are basically cut down 30s.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#33]
The Okay 20's middle rib doesn't run all the way to the bottom of the mag body like the Brownells mag does, and the Okay feedlips don't run all the way back to the rear of the body like 30 rounders and the Brownells mags. The Brownells mags are basically cut down 30s.
View Quote

I never noticed those details.  ignorance is bliss.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#34]

https://www.brownells.com/globalassets/10000/1e/l_078000160_2.jpg?width=1500&format=webp&quality=80

https://www.brownells.com/globalassets/10001/c8/430102730_1.jpg?width=1500&format=webp&quality=80
View Quote
The ones I bought a few weeks ago in store were dated 08-22. They really seem chinsy like D&H with a cheaper feel.

They have Brownells CAGE code on the side, but that doesn't mean a lot. They are VERY similar to the D&H mags I've had.

Edit: I got the black Teflon because they were out of gray dry film. I hate them. Very slick in the hand and scratch when you look at them wrong.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]

I never noticed those details.  ignorance is bliss.

https://i.imgur.com/tw81VSL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/l02Bm7z.jpg
View Quote

Sorry to ruin it for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hiker1911] [#36]
Okay 20 rd. new mags are still in good supply. If you want black color and/ or budget prices, go for a different manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I was told the Okay aluminum include date stamps externally and internally. I took one apart but can not find one internally. Has anyone seen an internal date stamp on any?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks. I have seed the date stamps on the outsides but never internally.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Joe1969:
View Quote
Happened a lot with the AWB mags.

I had some Okays I bought straight from M&A parts at a show in Illinois back in 2003 for what looked to be essentially new mags.

Bought 3-4. Then noticed a slight divot on the side. Had found this site but was just lurking and had seen that's where they were stamping date codes externally. Took them apart for some reason and found they were date coded on the inside too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I was told the Okay aluminum include date stamps externally and internally. I took one apart but can not find one internally. Has anyone seen an internal date stamp on any?
View Quote

View Quote

Examples in the link that I posted for you previously in THIS THREAD
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#42]
Soooo...does this mean PSA bought the tooling for their H&R line?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Mike-s-OFFICIAL-HandR-Retro-thread/301-301583/&page=72&anc=4190358#i4190333

ETA: Maybe not, middle rib runs to the bottom of the body, and those look like 30 rounder feedlips.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Soooo...does this mean PSA bought the tooling for their H&R line?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Mike-s-OFFICIAL-HandR-Retro-thread/301-301583/&page=72&anc=4190358#i4190333

ETA: Maybe not, middle rib runs to the bottom of the body, and those look like 30 rounder feedlips.
View Quote

they look a lot like the Brownells mags, compare with side-view pic I posted in post #33 above.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#47]
Looks like old stock - I cannot find 20 rd mags from Okay.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like old stock - I cannot find 20 rd mags from OK.
View Quote

Colt=Okay.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes Okay=Colt but same problem at normal pricing ($34.00 @ Charlie's Custom Clones).
Bought a few Brownells 20rd mags.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes Okay=Colt but same problem at normal pricing ($34.00 @ Charlie's Custom Clones).
Bought a few Brownells 20rd mags.
View Quote

My link above shows them sub $20 with 150 in stock.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top