Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trails-end:
You bunch of damned geeks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't it take 5 or more to make a bunch?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Perfect ocd/assbungers thread.
I can't remember what the hell I did yesterday, how some of you can remember all this stuff about a magazine from 20 years ago I don't know.
Ehh I am not a mag snob and will use just about any makes but I did order myself 5 just because.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By meistermash:

I can't remember what the hell I did yesterday, how some of you can remember all this stuff about a magazine from 20 years ago I don't know.
Ehh I am not a mag snob and will use just about any makes but I did order myself 5 just because.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meistermash:

Details man. They matter.

No time to waste on shit mags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess what year Simmonds Precision Products acquired Universal. Guess who Colt went to develop the manufacturing for the 20 round aluminum mag. I just found that a little while ago in some old lawsuit court decision info I was reading. I have hit a wall on finding anything on Okay past or recent of than a 1968 date.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I ran across that too a little while ago. Was surprised.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

IIRC, Okay developed M1 Carbine 30 round mags during WWII, seems like I read this somewhere.
View Quote

Originally Posted By j3_:
I ran across that too a little while ago. Was surprised.
View Quote

Founded in 1911 as The B. Jahn Manufacturing Company and renamed Okay Industries, Inc., in 1968, Okay has grown into a diverse contract manufacturing company producing exceptional metal stampings and machined components and assemblies for medical device, automotive and industrial industries as well as firearms and defense customers. Okay has a long history of producing magazines, having made over 30 million magazines since WWII for the venerable M1 Carbine and M16/M4 rifles. Okay Industries is headquartered in New Britain, CT.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#10]
The law suit case has some interesting history on mags in it. Not just about Universal and Simmonds but mentions Colt, Adventure line, and Okay. Most info is a little past half way. I thought there was a funny a comment at one place about Adventure line and the info on Colt and Adventure line was interesting.
https://casetext.com/case/simmonds-precision-products-v-united-states
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By j3_:
Doesn't it take 5 or more to make a bunch?
View Quote

OK, mess then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I must've missed the big announcement from SHOT about who was taking over the manufacturing of the Surefeed mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone has missed the Okay boat or wants simply more while supplies last, the Sig wrapped 30 USGI's are all Okay and the very last of the Mohicans. The price may turn some penny pincher stomachs but for $19.99 and still in stock and many more places online, amazingly it is what is is.

No more wish I could have bought more posts by choosing to ignore this, really IMO. Your call. Or you could wait for the flippers to charge even MORE, have fun with that

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Able's still has gray 30s. $15/pop.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know, Did okay end up selling the tooling/production equipment off?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#16]
Didn't see anything about it in the Shot Show stuff I looked at. Maybe one of the existing companies bought any tooling or fixtures they might have sold.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15robert] [#17]
If anyone in phoenix west valley shootersworld in Peoria had quite a bit of sure fire 30 rounders in black.

Also some sig mags which are also made by okay. I didn’t have a need for anymore so didn’t purchase any.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
While there are a few sites that have some leftovers, doesn't look like anyone will be getting any new ones in anytime soon if ever, nor have I seen anything to make me believe someone else bought the equipment to from Okay to start making new Surefeed mags.    Do we start a memorial thread now?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

IIRC, Okay developed M1 Carbine 30 round mags during WWII, seems like I read this somewhere.
View Quote

You are correct. Next time I’m at my dads I will take a pic of some of them
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems to me that the only poster in this thread that was, allegedly, aware of what would transpire hasn't chimed in since last August.

Does anyone know any different? Just looking for a ray of hope.

@bulls_i
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm preparing for the worst by buying more.

Just picked 24 lightly used Colt mags off the EE for $12.50 each. Getting about full up, but don't ever wanna think about missed opportunities
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
OFFS.
Boys n girls there are plenty of AR mags that are not Ok's that are just fine.
Our Iowigian overlords have a great magazine for one.
Those where my go to standard capacity after the Clitbag ban expired.
Now I have some of most manufacturers mags.
Even have some cproducts from that debacle era that work fine.

The world ain't going to end if you don't have a bunch of OKays.
But yes I am snoopy and want to know who bought them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I want someone to buy them that way the brand and quality reputation comes into question and everyone will see that they always were just another g.i. mag…
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
CDNN has Colt 20s.  Granted they are way overpriced at $35.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#26]
Originally Posted By SmegHead:
CDNN has Colt 20s.  Granted they are way overpriced at $35.
View Quote

Arms Unlimited had those for $25 last I looked.

ETA: NVM, sold out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#27]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
I want someone to buy them that way the brand and quality reputation comes into question and everyone will see that they always were just another g.i. mag  
View Quote
Never had a single fitment issue out of an Okay. I've had D&H's, Labelle's, all sorts of centers, M2 and M3 pmags, adventureline, Sanchez, Brownells of an early vintage, and CProducts all have issues.

So I keep buying Okay's if I'm buying USGI mags.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Amazing that we do not know the future outcome!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
Amazing that we do not know the future outcome!
View Quote

We don't?  They're gone & ain't never coming back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I fear you are right.
Who supplies the military these days?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I fear you are right.
Who supplies the military these days?
View Quote

Magpul and Center.

Magpul supplies most of the world’s AR using agencies.  

The world has moved on from aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:

Magpul and Center.

Magpul supplies most of the world's AR using agencies.  

The world has moved on from aluminum mags.
View Quote
Pretty sure we get it. You don't like alloy mags. This is a thread full of people that do, so if you're just gonna shit talk, there's no sense in cluttering up this thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#33]
……deleted……
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Back on track with a funny, my son-in-law just got back from a TDY at 29 Palms and asked to go shooting. I was loading range mags when they arrived and he spouted off a obligatory Chair Force joke and he asked what I was loading up;

Me: 5.56 Wolf Gold

Him: Oh, cool but what are you putting them in?

Me: Umm, real AR mags.

Him: Interesting, I've never seen them before. Are they for a retro gun?

Bless him, he's only been in 3 years. I'm teaching him how to use irons on my A4 this weekend, this will be fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:45:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 31stMEUSOC] [#36]
So we are in Mid February 2023 did anybody buy OKAYs equipment any news?  I was watching a video of H&R when the CEO old owner of NODAK said they would be making 20rnd mags in gray color so not sure if that's Okays equipment t to make them ? I would not think H&R would use PSA curved 20s?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOiTh080tI
At the roughly 3min mark he says shipping with a gray mag what that means I have know clue maybe a 30 or maybe a okay 20? Anyway just speculation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#37]
I have a preference for 20rd straight mags. Okay 20rd mags are nice. Brownells also.
I'll be looking for used 20rd Colt mags in decent shape with metal followers.
I'll change the springs to Wolff springs and repace the outer Permasilk.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#38]
Originally Posted By 31stMEUSOC:
So we are in Mid February 2023 did anybody buy OKAYs equipment any news?  I was watching a video of H&R when the CEO old owner of NODAK said they would be making 20rnd mags in gray color so not sure if that's Okays equipment t to make them ? I would not think H&R would use PSA curved 20s?
At the roughly 3min mark he says shipping with a gray mag what that means I have know clue maybe a 30 or maybe a okay 20? Anyway just speculation.
View Quote

Nothing came out of SHOT, which seemed to be a particularly good show this year, so it looks (at least to me) like they're dead. I know the PSA retro line is supposed to have waffle mags, but haven't seen anything on straight gray 20's.

I don't think the guy who claimed the equipment was sold to somebody else ever came back either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#39]
My guess is most likely it's dead shame they could have made money on the equipment like stamps and dies I would have thought some gun company would jump on it but it is what it is will miss the 20rnd mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder what kind of condition their equipment was in?

It could have been worn out.  

They could have wanted a bunch of money for the brand/trademark, or had restrictive stipulations to not use use their name.  

Some businesses are difficult to buy.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe they sold all the tooling to the Turks so people for the next generation can say their “MKE mags are made on OKAY tooling”
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 31stMEUSOC:
View Quote

Some large companies have it set so that after a certain time they have to
"deadline" some of their tooling. Deadlining in this situation means that
the tooling is literally destroyed with hammers or cutting torches. It's
a bean-counter & a tax write-off setup. I don't know if this is the case
with the OKAY company.

I hope that someone was able to purchase their stamping dies & benders. They
made very good mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#44]
We may have seen the end of IMHO the best aluminum magazine company for the AR platform in history.  If that is the case, which I hope it isn't, looks like D&H will be it for quality aluminum mags.  Looks like polymer mags are the new wave of the future.  I'm glad I filled my fancy with Okay/Surefeeds when they were available.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#45]
Just found some OKAY 10rd Black at Rainier Arms @ $11.99 - I bought some!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#46]
Any chance @Brownells purchased the Okay tooling? I haven't paid a lot of attention in the past, but I don't remember them having different colors for their house branded aluminum mags.

Now they have black, gray, and tan just like Okay did.

Maybe these?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting comment!
The Okay 20rd mags have different seam and welds than the Brownells' (in the photos).
Don't know about the 30rd magazines.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting comment!
The Okay 20rd mags have different seam and welds than the Brownells' (in the photos).
Don't know about the 30rd magazines.
View Quote

Brownells mags have different feedlips too. Okays are open at the back, Brownells' have the corner at the back. Brownells mags are basically a cut and straightened 30 rounder.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Any chance @Brownells purchased the Okay tooling? I haven't paid a lot of attention in the past, but I don't remember them having different colors for their house branded aluminum mags.

Now they have black, gray, and tan just like Okay did.

Maybe these?
View Quote
I bought a few black teflon Brownells mags at Brownells a month ago. They are eerily reminiscent of D&H.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCKshooter] [#50]
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top