AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I started buying land instead.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My standard rule is 12 mags per pistol, 25 mags per rifle.  Even if I have duplicate weapons.  I lived in the Seattle area during the Brady Ban.  Mags were as much as $150 each depending on what the weapon was.  I will never be caught short again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
When I lived in MA I bought a ton of preban mags and wheeled and dealed for some. I even got a few from @backbencher.

Since leaving MA I’ve sold or gifted 90% of them to other MA people.

I dont know how many new mags I’ve bought in the short time I’ve been here but it’s a very good amount that I feel comfortable with and still buying more every month.

When I left MA I promised myself I’d buy and replace everything I left behind and then some. Mags for guns I don’t own yet, AR lowers stacked up and parts kits.

My children will have enough is my goal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  When I lived in MA I bought a ton of preban mags and wheeled and dealed for some. I even got a few from @backbencher.

Since leaving MA I’ve sold or gifted 90% of them to other MA people.

I dont know how many new mags I’ve bought in the short time I’ve been here but it’s a very good amount that I feel comfortable with and still buying more every month.

When I left MA I promised myself I’d buy and replace everything I left behind and then some. Mags for guns I don’t own yet, AR lowers stacked up and parts kits.

My children will have enough is my goal.
View Quote

Glad to see you escaped.  We have room in Texas as long as you don't bring any snow w/ you.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
How do yall stop buying mags?
View Quote

Easy, when I had a bin of them, & the ones I use have not wore out yet.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Global-Ordnance-mag-deal-back-on/5-2519550

Steel AR mags $5 ea, limit 80.

Steel AK mags $6 ea, limit 16 - or case of 56.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Steel AR mags
View Quote

Just say no!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just say no!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Steel AR mags

Just say no!

They work.... b/c they're not from HK.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They work.... b/c they're not from HK.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Just set a limit that makes sense to you.

Eventually you'll want to replace a few that break, so maybe add 5 to that limit amount, or what's comfortable to carry in a backpack and on your side.

But if they're all in different calibers, maybe you'll need a ratio that corresponds to what you like to shoot the most. 5.56/7.62/handgun in the ratio 4:2:1

So I guess you're good maybe once you have about 500, or mags that can hold 15,000 rounds?

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you just keep impulse buying a few at a time. This is why I started buying 10 packs
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Limits don't work. Mine was "really good U.S. surplus under ten dollars each". Figured I'd never see Okay mags that cheap. Had to buy ten. LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Steel AR mags
View Quote

Co worker during sandy hook panic bought these. Somewhere around $50 each.  Dude didn't even own an AR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Too funny!

The recent Korean steel mags do work well.

I bought a bunch to use as range mags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't. Haven't yet been able to stop buying magazines. LOL
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got 30 pmags delivered today while eating lunch with my boys (4, 2.5, and 1).

After explaining what they were I told them I got the magazine for them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys, I got bit by the magazine bug bad.   I see all these deals on mags and I can't help myself..  Good mags for like $10-$12 a pop..  What the hell is wrong with me?  How do yall stop?  

I had around 25 mags, but now I'm up to like 50 or so.
View Quote

The same way I stop drinking beer before I get so drunk I can't function.....willpower
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
When you live in a commie state like mine and every year might be the last year you can by standard capacity mags... you buy as many as you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When you live in a commie state like mine and every year might be the last year you can by standard capacity mags... you buy as many as you can afford.
View Quote

(10) P-mags and a Nitride BCG for 120 bucks

Shipping extra though
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
This reminds me I need to buy more. A footlocker full of PMAGs isn’t enough.w hat I’m really short on is mags for my 320.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's a solid ratio?

10 (30rd) mags for every AR you own?
View Quote

Do you think you'd wear out 10 times more magazines if you had 100 AR's versus 10?  No.  You're only shooting so much, so X number of mags per rifle doesn't make any sense at all.  What matters is how much you're shooting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I've probably used the same 15ish mags for the last decade. Only taken 2 out of service; a C Products SS mag that the welds failed on and it blew apart on the range and a tan M2 PMAG that split on the spine. The M2 PMAG had a lot of rounds on it, but more importantly a lot of abuse from live malfunction drills (1x2 to the ejection port while on the line). I have 2 black M2's that were exposed to the same treatment and they are still trucking along with no signs of issues. I suspect current production black M2 PMAGs are pretty close to indestructible.

I still buy mags here and there to add to the stash of unopened ones. The 10 packs of M2 PMAGs with extra stuff from PSA makes those easy purchases.

The more mags, ammo, lowers, and parts out there means the less control the antis have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:16:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you think you'd wear out 10 times more magazines if you had 100 AR's versus 10?  No.  You're only shooting so much, so X number of mags per rifle doesn't make any sense at all.  What matters is how much you're shooting.
View Quote

If you own (5) AR's and you own 50 pmags that's 1500 rounds before you ever even re-use

If you get 100 uses out of each mag that's 150,000 rounds.

I'm going to run out of ammo before my mags break, and FWIW I have way more than 50 mags
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I was thinking about this exact subject recently as I was digging through my box of spare mags the other day.  I've tried to pare it back, but I still find myself picking one or two up here and there.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's a solid ratio?

10 (30rd) mags for every AR you own?
View Quote

That's the minimum, on a budget.  Mags are an expendable item.  Buy all you can, but make sure you can also fill them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Personally, I simply lost interest.  

View Quote

Same.

Well.....almost.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Shipping extra though
View Quote

PSA runs those deals all the time. Ten mags and a BCG, rifle bag, ammo. Heck they have deals for uppers with mags.

Their D&H mags come with free shipping if you order a few, 8.99 a piece now. They were 5.99 at one time, get mags for the money.

I remember paying 25 bucks a piece for crappy Pro Mags right after Sandy Hook.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that is insane.  
I would give up shooting if I had to use Pro Mags again
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  Damn, that is insane.  
View Quote

I've got three ProMags, used to have 4.  All work fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Damn, that is insane.  
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

I have never owned a Promag that worked worth a fuck.

.223/5.56
X39
9mm

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  I have never owned a Promag that worked worth a fuck.

.223/5.56
X39
9mm
View Quote

Had a 10 round 1911 mag that worked great in the RIA, and in both the HiPoint pistol & carbine.  Sold it w/ the HiPoint pistol.

Picked up a 5 round flush-fit steel AR mag some years back, always drops free, works fine.

Picked up a 20 or 30 round Rollermag just to try, it works fine.

Just got in a 10 round flush fit steel mag, haven't tested it yet other than it drops free from an Anderson.

I wouldn't choose a ProMag over something else unless the ProMag has a unique feature - flush fit, higher capacity, drum mag, or the OEM mag is simply unavailable, as is the case for a lot of their pistol mag line.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I can only carry roughly 1000's rounds of loaded AR mags....and that's not for a significant distance.  Any more than that....I'm kidding myself.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Shipping extra though
View Quote

It has been at least yesterday since I bought one of these...

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I don’t.  I set a mag budget of X dollars every 6 months.  If I spend that much, I hold off until that period is over.

Unless, of course, there’s a really smoking deal that I just can’t resist… but that doesn’t count.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Replace your purchases with ammo...
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

PSA runs those deals all the time. Ten mags and a BCG, rifle bag, ammo. Heck they have deals for uppers with mags.

Their D&H mags come with free shipping if you order a few, 8.99 a piece now. They were 5.99 at one time, get mags for the money.

View Quote

I remember selling Pro-mag "high caps" after Sandy Hook

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool.

My ProMag history dates back to the AWB, and my Mini-14.  These worthless fuckers were nearly as bad as the USA-Mags I bought.
https://promagindustries.com/ruger-mini-14-223-20-rd-nickel-plated-steel/

Never again.  I learned from the ban days, and I happily wade through Okays and Pmags that work perfectly.

As for 1911 mags, Wilson Combat.  That is all that I buy
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pro Mags have been so bad for me and mine... that I just don't understand how they remain in business.

As for how to stop buying mags...

How many of the posters have lived through a "Mag Ban" like Clintons or O'Bummers  ?

I am asking, only because the f'ing horrible feeling of not being able to purchase mags is still in my mind.  I would keep thinking I will NEVER be able to buy more.

And even if you could "find" some online... they were 3-4 times the prices you paid last time, and you really didn't know if your order would actually come true.

I remember cheap quality AR15 Aluminum 30rd mags being sold by CTD for $150 / 30rd mag. .. And people were buying them. Then Came O'Bummer... and round 2 happened...

So , it is hard not to buy some more spares of High Quality mags when they are on sale @ 12 bucks / 30rd mag.. at least for me.

Remember how people that lived through the Great Depression would hoard odd stuff ? Welp... the magazine bans did that to me.

Just gonna keep buying them as I see fit.  If I never use them all... someone will benefit from them when I am gone.
View Quote

But....but.....USGI!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pro Mags have been so bad for me and mine... that I just don't understand how they remain in business.

As for how to stop buying mags...

How many of the posters have lived through a "Mag Ban" like Clintons or O'Bummers  ?

I am asking, only because the f'ing horrible feeling of not being able to purchase mags is still in my mind.  I would keep thinking I will NEVER be able to buy more.

And even if you could "find" some online... they were 3-4 times the prices you paid last time, and you really didn't know if your order would actually come true.

I remember cheap quality AR15 Aluminum 30rd mags being sold by CTD for $150 / 30rd mag. .. And people were buying them. Then Came O'Bummer... and round 2 happened...

So , it is hard not to buy some more spares of High Quality mags when they are on sale @ 12 bucks / 30rd mag.. at least for me.

Remember how people that lived through the Great Depression would hoard odd stuff ? Welp... the magazine bans did that to me.

Just gonna keep buying them as I see fit.  If I never use them all... someone will benefit from them when I am gone.
View Quote

I understand your concerns but an honest question here. Do you know exactly how many you own now? Can you carry it all even? Can the crew you plan on outfitting carry it all along with you? If the answer is no to all of that, then you may have an actual answer.

I've got over 100 magazines myself. Various types at that. I can't carry it all and the mags I had at the beginning when I had started out are still working. I'm not seeing the correlation of some ban to cause one to cease from ever refraining themselves once they've hit their comfort zone in numbers. And I've asked this to someone that was an owner of guns before, during, and after the AWB. His answer? Find a number that you like, once at or surpassed, end it there. He even gave sage advice that maybe I want to have various colored mags to differentiate between ammunition types, and that's okay. But what's not okay is being compulsive even when your bins are overstuffed with mags and you keep buying more bins to hold more mags and more mags because you can't resist the OCD to fill the newer bins up, rinse and repeat. He's got an excellent point of needs versus wants, where wants becomes hoarding.

Pick a number that's your zone of comfort and end it before it consumes you. That's what I had done to get me to actually stop buying and refraining myself from doing it. I'd rather use the money for things that matter more like ammo, training, better kit, better parts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I understand your concerns but an honest question here. Do you know exactly how many you own now? Can you carry it all even? Can the crew you plan on outfitting carry it all along with you? If the answer is no to all of that, then you may have an actual answer.

I've got over 100 magazines myself. Various types at that. I can't carry it all and the mags I had at the beginning when I had started out are still working. I'm not seeing the correlation of some ban to cause one to cease from ever refraining themselves once they've hit their comfort zone in numbers. And I've asked this to someone that was an owner of guns before, during, and after the AWB. His answer? Find a number that you like, once at or surpassed, end it there. He even gave sage advice that maybe I want to have various colored mags to differentiate between ammunition types, and that's okay. But what's not okay is being compulsive even when your bins are overstuffed with mags and you keep buying more bins to hold more mags and more mags because you can't resist the OCD to fill the newer bins up, rinse and repeat. He's got an excellent point of needs versus wants, where wants becomes hoarding.

Pick a number that's your zone of comfort and end it before it consumes you. That's what I had done to get me to actually stop buying and refraining myself from doing it. I'd rather use the money for things that matter more like ammo, training, better kit, better parts.
View Quote

Extras never hurt and if things go bad you can trade things you don't need for things you do need. At $10 bucks or less buy the shit out of mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Extras never hurt and if things go bad you can trade things you don't need for things you do need. At $10 bucks or less buy the shit out of mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited - JR The extras for the extras that I already have, that I'm getting stupid more extras for will hurt and things during the last panic were bad and still didn't need to trade for the things I needed. Time to move on and concentrate on other things and not be so consumed by your obsessive-compulsive disorder that's being superimposed wrongfully into others.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Pro Mags have been so bad for me and mine... that I just don't understand how they remain in business.
View Quote

1) I think likely their QC has improved over the years.  Hence my good experience w/ 4x mags across 4x platforms.
2) They produce a tremendous variety of magazines for old guns for which they're often the only option, good, bad, or indifferent.
3) They produce all kinds of drum magazines now, and everyone wants a drum.
4) They have continued to innovate, and now have a self-leveling follower AR mag w/ little rollers on either end.  It works.  Not claiming that it's better than Magpul or Lancer, but they have R&D money and they're spending it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a bold faced lie. The extras for the extras that I already have, that I'm getting stupid more extras for will hurt and things during the last panic were bad and still didn't need to trade for the things I needed. Time to move on and concentrate on other things and not be so consumed by your obsessive-compulsive disorder that's being superimposed wrongfully into others.
View Quote

Triggered.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a bold faced lie. The extras for the extras that I already have, that I'm getting stupid more extras for will hurt and things during the last panic were bad and still didn't need to trade for the things I needed. Time to move on and concentrate on other things and not be so consumed by your obsessive-compulsive disorder that's being superimposed wrongfully into others.
View Quote

Primers.  We should have stocked primers, not mags.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt!  

I do want to be able show my grandkids what a 30 round Okay looks like in a new wrapper, someday.  I suspect there is a possibility it will be quite rare by then.

I will superimpose a vision of the 2nd amendment that they can only hear from me, and those that lived through this madness.

My son is chipping away at my mag inventory.  He flies in a couple of times a year, and always leaves with a little extra inventory in his baggage.  Everything that I have bought that is in excess is for him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. I should have bought even more back when things were aplenty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I do want to be able show my grandkids what a 30 round Okay looks like in a new wrapper, someday.  
View Quote

I like the cut of your jib. I have a few stashed away as well...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top