Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got 10x clear Lancers in the mail today, and a 10 rnd flush fit steel ProMag.  GunMagWarehouse, I think it was.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont stop till you get to 100!  There is a good deal on Okay mags at Big Tex Ordnance for $8-9 each, might as well get some of them!

Gig'em, class of 94
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pick up something new just because, but I really don't need any more mags. I added some Bulgarian steel mags to the stash recently.

I can't even use the excuse that I'm stockpiling for my son and grandkids since my son has a ton of them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Themes.
All my long guns are pretty much just range toys. I do keep a decent stock of ammo on hand, but because I don't really see them as anything more than that it's easy to stick to a reasonable number to keep stocked in one of a couple range bags based on what I want to shoot that day.

What I mean by themes:

My "good enough" early M16A1 tribute? Not accurate in any way "clone"? 20rd aluminum mags*

My C7 tribute/ clone? 30rd Canadian Thermolds*

My M4gery? 30rd USGI aluminum mags * (might pick up a few magpuls for that one...)

Not relevant to this forum, but same standards apply...

My AK103 (dressed in AK74 wood)? Bakelites and beat up combloc 30rd mags

That keeps me from running out to get more, especially since usgi 30s that are still appropriate and get shared across the ARs if I find I need another.

*and there's an inbuilt surplus of good enough lookalike mags I acquired while hunting down some of the rarer ones. Fakelite AK mags, LEO Thermolds, current production 20 rounders, etc that I kept as a good stash of spares/ range mags if I don't want to take my expensive stuff out. I'll ruin a $15 mag and not sweat it, a $40 one thats increasingly hard to find... not so much. That and not being made of money, I can only afford so many of the pricey ones...

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have about 300 mags..you never know....
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No sir, magazines do not last forever.  They are wear items.  Plan on replacing them.
View Quote

Say you own 50x 30rd mags
Odds are they will last 100 cycles on average (probably alot more but we are figuring some premature deaths due to loss or abuse)
That's... 150,000 rounds of use or 3000 rds a year for 50 years.
If you shoot that much, then sure buy more.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Say you own 50x 30rd mags
Odds are they will last 100 cycles on average (probably alot more but we are figuring some premature deaths due to loss or abuse)
That's... 150,000 rounds of use or 3000 rds a year for 50 years.
If you shoot that much, then sure buy more.
View Quote

I intend for my grandchildren and their children to live in a republic, sir, and I intend for them to have magazines should they need them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I paid maybe $ 110 a piece for four Glock 21 mags. Then it all became illegal under the SAFE act.
View Quote

How many mags that were made illegal under the safe act actually left the state? (Besides mine.)
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
200+ and may you start to temper.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a solid ratio?

10 (30rd) mags for every AR you own?

lol

40-50/AR

Minimum
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's a solid ratio?

View Quote

That's a good start.

I actually resisted throwing some mags onto an order I just placed.  Thought was I will buy more ammo instead.  As there is NO SUCH THING as too much ammo.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hey man, if those 20 rounders have black followers & no dates or pre-94 dates, they're still Massachusetts legal.  Might help out some patriots up there.
View Quote

I sold some old AdventureLine mags to a guy in Mass a while back.  Easy to prove pre-ban since the company went away in 1975.  I even threw in a free one with a cracked feed lip, as it could easily be tig'ed for another usable mag in enemy territory.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]
100 loaded 30rnd AR mags weighs about 100lbs.  How far can you carry 100lbs of ammo plus gear?

Me personally, not very far.  I stopped caring about that point but I still grab a couple when I go to the LGS but I have no reason to buy dozens or more at a time anymore.  I have enough to last me, my kids, and my grandkids.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Stopping is easy. Get to a number that you're comfortable with and stop buying afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't.

I turned 18 still under the 94 ban. Got to see it sunset.

Why do I buy mags and such? Well, insurance.

I wont say what i'm doing having turned of legal age to purchase firearms during the ban era.

Some here aren't preparing for themselves anymore, they are preparing for their childrens children.

Some are just casual shooters who need maybe 6.

All in all, if you can't afford buying mags from day 1. Just focus on buying 1 magazine a month either during your ammo purchase, or when at the gun store where it might be 15-25.

Some say 10 per rifle is good if your serious. I have heard others say 20 if you plan on it lasting your lifetime.

All in all, I don't have the answer. Just when you buy, begin with an end in mind.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Magazines are expendable items.  I buy accordingly
View Quote

That's what I tell the guys at work. Some of them say "I only have 3 AR mags. That's all I need"
Then they ask how many I have. I tell them "Lots"
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's what I tell the guys at work. Some of them say "I only have 3 AR mags. That's all I need"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magazines are expendable items.  I buy accordingly

Same. Except my answer is " almost enough ", followed by a shit eating grin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I have plenty of mags but still want more. I don’t know why.

Hell, I’ve been giving mags away to people who really need ‘em.  A friend of mine showed up at the shop with a duty AR that needed a full maintenance shakedown and had some antique Colt 20 rounders and a mish-mash of busted ass black and green follower garbage.

She left with all new springs, an H buffer, and seven brand new Pmag 30s. Some departments are shit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  I have plenty of mags but still want more. I don’t know why.

Hell, I’ve been giving mags away to people who really need ‘em.  A friend of mine showed up at the shop with a duty AR that needed a full maintenance shakedown and had some antique Colt 20 rounders and a mish-mash of busted ass black and green follower garbage.

She left with all new springs, an H buffer, and seven brand new Pmag 30s. Some departments are shit.
View Quote

Those black follower mags - send em to Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Those black follower mags - send em to Massachusetts.
View Quote

I know there was a couple LaBelles and an Okay and a Parsons. None had a date on the outside or inside.

I offered to gage the feedlips, refinish in Perma-Slik, replace the springs, and put in Magpul followers, but the guys that were with her shot that down.

They were early-30s guys, been in LE for a good while, and had less than zero interest in anything but a Pmag.

I’m 41 and was around ARs back during the ban and did a lot of training and shooting professionally and recreationally well before Pmags existed.  So a good GI mag is something I’m comfortable with.

There’s a LOT of young guys out there that have come up in the age where Pmags are the more common mag and look at aluminum like old relics.

I guess this getting old thing can be interesting at times.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi OP, I can certainly relate to you...first gun I bought came with a mag, then what got me started was that I bought a box and my first supplementary couple of mags for it, and the company mistakenly shipped 4 boxes instead of 1.

Fast forward a few months later, those boxes are full with mags, and I'm now overflowing with cardboard boxes with mags and mags sitting on shelves new in wrap.

What halted me, you might ask?

In all irony of ironies, becoming OCD with numbers. Saying to yourself, "I will have strictly an even number of these kinds of magazines", and obeying it—no more no less—is important. Both a bit of obsessive behaviour, balanced by self-discipline.

If you want to set magazine totals for yourself, that becomes more of a practical question. Ask yourself, "what's the round I intend to use the most?" and evaluate your current ammunition stockpile, numerically so. Say you have 1k rds of 5.56. Well, 100 magazines is too much to load that; settle for 30-33. Then evaluate your secondary calibers, and in proportionate manner, scale those down. Let's say you have 250 rds of .300AAC; well, 10 more STANAGs would be too much, so add 7, making your grand total 40, a nice round and even number. It's more or less a question of making sure you only have enough magazines for what ammo you have acquired/planned, and making sure you have enough appropriate storage compartments to store it all. It might help if in similar regard to what I did, you buy your boxes first, then your magazines. It'll keep you 'in-check' as to how many mags you buy instead of just going overboard at first glance.

Just a tip.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
you're supposed to stop???

Oops
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Those of us who remember the 94-04 gun ban remember paying out the nose for mags. I consider them to be an investment.
View Quote

THIS.   Buy then Cheap & Stack them Deep when prices are low, because sure as Death & Taxes, another Panic or Restriction will come...
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#27]
So let's say a restriction does come, not for the sake of argument but for clarity, the question is, what are you going to do with every one of those magazines? I've got magazines from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, maybe even from the 60's that still work. What am I supposed to do with the hundred plus I own now still in the wraps because they were never needed, because of a never ending mag buying spree?

This is not aimed at those who do have the intent to sell. This is for those who have no intent to sell. Let's put some rationale behind this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So let's say a restriction does come, not for the sake of argument but for clarity, the question is, what are you going to do with every one of those magazines? I've got magazines from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, maybe even from the 60's that still work. What am I supposed to do with the hundred plus I own now still in the wraps because they were never needed, because of a never ending mag buying spree?

This is not aimed at those who do have the intent to sell. This is for those who have no intent to sell. Let's put some rationale behind this.
View Quote

You might have no intent to sell, but when your state calls up the militia, mags may become scarce.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha, yeah, the guys that work for me always want to go to the range with me for a chance to shoot one with a can, or an SBR, and they bring along their 2-4 empty mags.  Stand there stuffing rounds into them, while everybody else is shooting.

That is one my peeves LOL.  I stuff rounds at the house, and keep my ammo in mags.  I hate spending range time stuffing rounds.

OP...50?  I think I have that many loaded, could be more.  As for what they look like in one of my rifles, most are pretty gnarly.  My Okays get rough looking, quickly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You might have no intent to sell, but when your state calls up the militia, mags may become scarce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my problem, so again, why do I need to buy things after a certain number that's only for me? Answer it that way.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guys, I got bit by the magazine bug bad.   I see all these deals on mags and I can't help myself..  Good mags for like $10-$12 a pop..  What the hell is wrong with me?  How do yall stop?  

I had around 25 mags, but now I'm up to like 50 or so.
View Quote

I have no plans to stop buying them. I generally pick up a 10-pack when I can't find anything else to buy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  Not my problem, so again, why do I need to buy things after a certain number that's only for me? Answer it that way.
View Quote

If you see your state calling up the militia as not your problem, then I can't really help you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you see your state calling up the militia as not your problem, then I can't really help you.
View Quote

So you have no real answer other than you want to, so you can outfit as many as you can for a civil war?

Neat.

So in other words, for those that don't want to outfit everyone else, the answer is that you can have enough as you think is necessary and can stop after a certain point. Good to know. OP has the answer finally
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me, just ignore that dude.

He doesn't offer anything and will argue just to argue based on nothing but his personal and often misguided opinions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a few of the CETME 12 round mags that Apex has. They're pretty cool an an unusual addition to the bins o' mags

https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-l-10rd-magazine-steel-5-56mm-good.html

I stopped buying in bulk, but it's too easy to add a few of this or that to an order.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's a solid ratio?

View Quote

That sounds reasonable.  

I got the bug this year, and added more Lancers, OKAY, and Pmags to the stack.  Hard to resist the $8- $9 sales.  Got a dozen still in plastic wrap that I may resell if I later decide I don't need em.

Even went slumming and got some hexmags for 5.99 at botach this month.  No idea if I will like those, but they were basically giving them away.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Buy ammo
or buy a different platform that doesn't take AR mag so you start buying different mags for a good reason
View Quote
Buy a Gewehr 43 lol.
Your mag game will get weak real quick.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#38]
You guys are so funny acting like there is only 1 platform in the world -  take everything you say and multiple by 15....

I am good with Magpuls and MP5 mages -  I just got in a shipment of AK12, 40rd 7.62 Bakes and 45rd 5.45 RPK mags....

Now I need SR-25 factory...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Welcome to the club and glad you are opening your eyes.  *hopefully*.

I've been buying mags (and other items) since sandy hooke.  Thats when / where I learned my lesson about being very unprepared in ALOT of categories.  

Thankfully there are great times to buy (when you should be) and horrible times (when you really don't cause of bad prices) so you up other preps.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m just over 400 now. 437 to be exact. All new in wrap USGI Okays and Centers and a few odd Pmags thrown in. That’s outside of about 20 I have opened for usage.

I’ll continue to buy when I see good deals on brands that I like.  I remember the last ban and figure much like ammo and probably many other things, mags will have a barter value for some.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Pistols- 15 magazines per gun
Rifles- 25 magazines per gun

Can you buy more ? Yes, but ammunition and NV are important as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Mehh I have a good stash but still buy a few.
Got to have a couple of other brands.
Kind of like collecting 38 special brass for the old timers.

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]
10-12 per rifle is reasonable. 25-30 per rifle is 2 generations worth.

A bunch of folks take comfort in buying zillons of mags, and that's fine too.

Most of my shooting is still done with the 6-8 Okay mags I bought new in 1993.

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Make them a felony?
View Quote
Sadly that would stop many of the members here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I buy 2 or 3 mags a pay check.

They're disposable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#48]
You need to expand your thinking.
I'm kind of ocd so I focus on one or two areas at a time for awhile, then I see another shiny thing that gets my attention.  After awhile I read something on here that makes me realize I need that, etc. but it never stops. Sometimes it's gold or silver, mags or ammo, maybe uppers and or lowers, stripped or complete depending on what I'm feeling, lpk's, scopes, night vision for the family, flashlights, plates/carriers, soft armor, comms, helmets and or nightcaps for the family, new trauma/first aid items, .22 rifles for the kids, new suppressors or sbr's, polymer 80 builds, spare parts, food storage, water, fuel, putting more cash aside each month, selling a few things, adding more into 401k/Roth, and the list goes on and on, but the above were the focus areas of 2020 and 2021. Time to start thinking about 2022.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread makes me want to buy more mags
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fuck, it stopped me. I haven't been running around buying NY illegal mags*. Bigger risk from the gov from the mag than from criminals

More seriously, after the SAFE act I bought a lot of pistols and outfitting them with magazines is a pain. It reminds you that sticking to AR mags and glock 9mm or 1911 mag guns saves a lot of money.

* I did get offered some giant bootleg Surefire mag, but the risk didn't seem worth it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fuck, it stopped me. I haven't been running around buying NY illegal mags*. Bigger risk from the gov from the mag than from criminals

More seriously, after the SAFE act I bought a lot of pistols and outfitting them with magazines is a pain. It reminds you that sticking to AR mags and glock 9mm or 1911 mag guns saves a lot of money.

* I did get offered some giant bootleg Surefire mag, but the risk didn't seem worth it

Quoted:

If I was in your position I would write exactly as you say.
Then I would buy the shit out of what I wanted anyway.
Quietly.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top