User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like 10 per and have kept with it as my AR's approach 20

I had a stinking bunch by the time Pmags were invented, so they had a long ways to go. My #1 is Okay industries. #2 is Gen3 Pmags (or 2's, I don't care). I don't have preferences outside of them. I have a couple lancers, dozens of Cproducts from 12-15yrs ago, and lots of the various USGI mags, but they're all just ok once you get away from Okay and Magpul for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like 10 per and have kept with it as my AR's approach 20

I had a stinking bunch by the time Pmags were invented, so they had a long ways to go. My #1 is Okay industries. #2 is Gen3 Pmags (or 2's, I don't care). I don't have preferences outside of them. I have a couple lancers, dozens of Cproducts from 12-15yrs ago, and lots of the various USGI mags, but they're all just ok once you get away from Okay and Magpul for me.
View Quote

I'm somewhat in this camp. Used to have quite a few of other brands D&H, Brownells and early pmags. Left AR's foolishly for a while and liquidated all my extras. I got back into the platform for good and started being picky and only buying Okays primarily (USGI mostly, and Sure Feed's) and Centers. I'm not opposed to gen 3 window pmags either but just haven't bought any yet as I like to buy mags at $8 or below each I stick with those as I just don't see a reason to branch out to the other johnny come lately's when these are proven enough and available in quantities at the prices they are at

As far as how many? I'm over 300 and will still buy when the opportunity comes up. I remember the 94 ban
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just every time you make an order throw a magazine or two on your order.  I usually throw a rifle and pistol mag on my order.  They build up over time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
People tend to look at answering this question with an exact number.  For me this is the wrong approach. I think of it in "sets" or to steel from the army "combat loads."

I have a number of mags I use with each firearm generally (1 set)  So for a concealment pistol that might be 2 mags, for a duty pistol it might be 3 or 4.  For an ar that might be 7 or a bolt gun 2.  Basically how many mags I use at one time.

Then I think about how I use it and how many sets I need.
1 set for practice (don't want to load and unload defensive ammo for practice)
1 set if I use the gun defensively or for hunting (want to verified good mags that haven't been dropped 100's of times in practice)
1 set for competition/classes (want to verified good mags that haven't been dropped 100's of times in practice)
1 set for backup Don't want to have to wait for something to be in stock or for the UPS man if a mag breaks.
1 additional set if the gun uses mags that hold over 10 rounds as I am sure there will be a new federal ban in my lifetime.

The number of sets very by gun, the size of the set varies by gun.

Ruger MKIV that I use for plinking.  Feel perfectly safe with a couple of mags and a couple of backups.
10/22 Tac Sol I use for plinking 2 for the range, 2 for backup for the 10 rounders 2 bx-25 for the range, 2 bx-25 for backup, 2 bx-25 ban insurance.
Main pistol that I take to classes - 3 for practice, 3 for defensive use, 3 classes, 3 for backup and 3 for ban insurance.
AR's - I just have a shit ton.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
magazines are disposable, buy a lot and then some more on top of it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
After doing more tacticool training, I prefer polymers magazines. I like the feel in hand and no pokey metal parts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quantity

10 per rifle (reserve)
10 per rifle (go-to)
10 per rifle (training)

At $8 each this is only $240.

Brand (of the options you provided)

First Choice: D&H with MagPul Follower
Second Choice: PMAG Gen 3

My Mag Preference

1st Choice: OKAY with MagPul Follower
2nd Choice: D&H with MagPul Follower or PMAG Gen 3

The PMAGs are nice for when you don't want the sharp metal edges. Otherwise, aluminum all the way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some OKAY mags that I started using in the 1980s that are still running fine (original springs and followers).
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I remember the 94 ban
View Quote

Same here.

I had a good pile of AR mags when the 1994 AWB arrived (I had owned ARs for 9 years at that point), but instantly the desire for more seemingly hit everyone at the same time.  I remember seeing USGI worn mags for $35 each on gun show tables, and remember paying $100 for four of them for "range use".  Adjusted for inflation: that $35 used mag would be $65 today.

At $8 each I don't see a reason to not just buy a 100 mag case, and after inspecting it ... reseal and store in a dry place ... then start buying your 10/10/10 per rifle sets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever number you would put on your person to carry, whether thats a vest or a pouch, get that number. Then as you go collect more. There's always a ban around the corner.

Far as what brand/type? Stick with what .mil and LE use and you cant go wrong. Its good to have a variety. USGI alum mags are best. However I have a healthy mix of USGI, pmags and lancers. My USGI range from Okay surefeeds (THE best), brownells, D&H and a mix of oldschool: sanchez, center, labelle.....

One guy who operates battle field las vegas posted review on the equipment they use. Theu are a VERY high volume shooting range, and here's what he said about magazines.

- USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=1

Remember though, magazines are a comsumable. They eventially wear out or break. However Ive got some old 20rd vietnam era metal follower "Colt 556" branded mags that are still running strong, so YMMV

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
magazines are disposable, buy a lot and then some more on top of it.
View Quote

Bingo.  I dont have as many as some people on here but I have at least 20 per rifle except for my Valmets (and I probably have 10-15 for each with aftermarket and conversions) and a oddball BM-59 that was an impulse buy on a tax free holiday (10).
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My go to mags are lancers

I have plenty of d&h and pmags.  But damn I love those lancers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top