BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have another question. Are the curved 20 rounders any more reliable than the straight?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No thanks. I don't buy anything formerly known as Cproducts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CDNN send out an email today; 20 round ASC (Aluminum curved) for 10 bucks if anyone is interested.
I was unaware ASC was related to CProducts, guessing that is the new name. Good to know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Are the curved ones more reliable than the straight or is it a wash?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I received my D@H Mags today

They come with Magpul Followers and the build quality appears to be excellent! I haven't tried them, other than loading two but I'm liking them much more than the Okay straight 20 rounders already.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bang those mags on your helmet after loading to seat the cartridges all the way to the rear.  You are wearing a helmet, right?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just bang those mags on your helmet after loading to seat the cartridges all the way to the rear.  You are wearing a helmet, right?
View Quote
No. LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are the curved ones more reliable than the straight or is it a wash?
View Quote
Probably a wash, but I prefer the straight 20 round mags. It took decades for the curved mags (30 or 20) to finally become as reliable as the original straight design.

The AR-15 has a straight mag well. Adding a curved mag (necessary due to cartridge taper when using more than 20 rounds) only complicates things.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably a wash, but I prefer the straight 20 round mags. It took decades for the curved mags (30 or 20) to finally become as reliable as the original straight design.

The AR-15 has a straight mag well. Adding a curved mag (necessary due to cartridge taper when using more than 20 rounds) only complicates things.
View Quote
The spring tension is considerably stronger, the follower more robust and it doesn't tilt with the curved D@H.

Also the COL can be longer with the D@H .
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The spring tension is considerably stronger, the follower more robust and it doesn't tilt with the curved D@H.

Also the COL can be longer with the D@H .
View Quote
My understanding is that the follower in the straight mag is supposed to tilt (again related to the cartridge taper).
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My understanding is that the follower in the straight mag is supposed to tilt (again related to the cartridge taper).
View Quote
I understand but I guess it just doesn't feel right to me because I'm so used to anti tilt followers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Okay mags, my favorite mags.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I always understood the USGI straight 20s were the most reliable.  I have never had a problem with mine, nor with PMag or USGI 30s.  The only top brand mag I have had feeding issues with are the PMag 20s. I use the OKAY 20s for bench shooting all the time.  In fact I am buying more next month so I don't have to load any mags at the range when I am going through several tests.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I always understood the USGI straight 20s were the most reliable.
View Quote
That's what I understood too. However that was before the follower improvements with the 30s. I don't believe they 20s are any more reliable than modern 30s or curved magazines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I loaded the two Okay Mags again for the next range trip.

I separated the rounds that were over 2.250 and I had to load one twice to get it to present the rounds property and easily strip.

Don't know if it's because I'm using several time reloads (which are resized property and checked twice with a case gauge) but I don't have this problem with any other magazines.

With my other mags, I just load the rounds and that's it.

With these I have to load slowly and make sure that each round is slid to the back of the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's what I understood too. However that was before the follower improvements with the 30s. I don't believe they 20s are any more reliable than modern 30s or curved magazines.
View Quote
It's hard to beat the magazine that was originally designed to be used with the weapon.  It seems like people are always inventing improvements for 30 Rd. Mags but the original 20 Rd mag design never changes.  It's hard to improve on something that is near 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't the original 20s have Aluminum Followers?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Didn't the original 20s have Aluminum Followers?
View Quote
They have metal alloy followers, though I'm not sure what kind of metal they're made of.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a "few" OKAY straight 20rd magazines.  I've never had an issue with one in any of the "few" ARs I have.  No other magazine I've tried has this track record with me.

I'll stick with what works for me, OKAY.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a "few" OKAY straight 20rd magazines.  I've never had an issue with one in any of the "few" ARs I have.  No other magazine I've tried has this track record with me.

I'll stick with what works for me, OKAY.
View Quote
OKAY!

LOL
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm starting not to like my OKAY 20 rounders.

For one thing, the last few rounds are significantly more difficult to strip (by hand) than all of my other mags.

The feed angle seems too low.

Secondly, today at the range, I inserted one on a closed bolt.( It inserted easily) When I racked the charging handle; the round didn't feed at a proper angle and jammed. I couldn't remove the magazine without messing with the jammed round.

After I got it free, I reloaded the round and inserted the magazine on an open bolt.

It worked that time.

These magazines seem to work marginally.and I constantly have to dick with them.

With my other mags, I just load them quickly and they work.

I'm going to try the D@H Curved 20 rounders next range trip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Since this topic is still active.

What is the word on the steel E-Lander 20 rd mags.

I generally see good reviews, that being said, I recall an issue a few years back, can't remember the specifics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since this topic is still active.

What is the word on the steel E-Lander 20 rd mags.

I generally see good reviews, that being said, I recall an issue a few years back, can't remember the specifics.
View Quote
I'd like to know as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
What companies make the curved 20-round mags? Last AR i put together was for the sole purpose of punching holes in paper and the 30's i got seem a little wonky for the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
+1 for Okay mags, my favorite mags.
View Quote
Excellent for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey OP - can I take them Okay 20 rounders off of your hands....

I would hate to see you stuck with mags that you did not like.

Red
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey OP - can I take them Okay 20 rounders off of your hands....

I would hate to see you stuck with mags that you did not like.

Red
View Quote
It's not like I don't like them for no reason. They are giving me problems.

I took them apart;cleaned and oiled them. Now only one of them is hard to strip the last 3-4 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What companies make the curved 20-round mags? Last AR i put together was for the sole purpose of punching holes in paper and the 30's i got seem a little wonky for the rifle.
View Quote
Bushmaster offers a curved 20, I have had good luck with them.

E-Lander as mentioned, waiting for feedback on the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I noticed that one of the rivet's on one of my 20 rounders came loose. I took off the bottom plate and the rivet popped out.

These mags aren't constructed properly and I won't be buying anymore.

I'm not going to contact Okay over one mag.  I stripped the components and am going to throw the mag body in the trash.

The D@H Curved 20 rounders work excellent.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Lancer 20's work great!
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Use nothing but usgi 20 round colt  mags from the 60s
Some early 60s some late.
Zero issues.
Only upgrade needed is new springs once in a while.
The aluminum follower, is much better than any of the plastic stuff, and the only issues I have ever had with a straight 20 round mag has been with the plastic follower...
Cracks me up to see people try to “upgrade “ the follower...
And then 20 rounds don’t even  fit....
The usgi mag is a great mag.
Just like it is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Pmags
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CDNN send out an email today; 20 round ASC (Aluminum curved) for 10 bucks if anyone is interested.
This. Don't do it.
No reason to buy those. You can get Okays for that if you wait for a good sale or watch the EE.
PSA puts good D&H made mags on sale for $6.99 sometimes. Stack'em deep. Much better deal than C pro-junk.

EDIT:
NM, I see you are only talking about 20 rounders. I thought I was in the "post mag deals" thread.
Still, don't buy ASC or C-products. They may work fine for you, just better choices out there to spend your money on.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top