AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@3ACR_Scout Not giving you shit but what are the dates on those mags. The D&H one you have shown has the old style green follower and the Okay one has the newest style follower?

My D&H are the PSA labeled black ones and they're fine as far as the seems go. In fact they look better than the Brownells ones I have from when Brownell was a .gov contractor for "real" USGI mags. In a couple of years another company will get the contract and Okay won't be USGI mags anymore either and there'll be another "must have, real USGI" magazine. It's all semantics really......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
D@H works fine  They supply mags to foreign militaries. That said, OKAY seems to pay slightly more attention to detail and more rigourously tests their mags.
I posted this photo comparison on another forum last year. I know others are fans of D&H mags and haven’t had any issues with them, but I personally don’t consider them “USGI” - more like “USGI style” - and would rather spend the extra few bucks for Okay mags.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos - it was hard to focus on the gray magazine bodies in my poor kitchen lighting. Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below. Note the ripples in the D&H spine where it's pinched in at the weld spots, while the Okay has a smooth spine with no gap showing. The Okay seams actually appear to be sealed somehow - not sure if that’s an effect of the dry lube finish:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/2982FE82-84DF-4B18-B41E-03CE9A63F892_jpeg-821776.JPG

Top of the rear and front spine seams. Note that this expensive Noveske-branded mag came with an older green follower, and the spring seems lower quality also (I'm no expert on spring materials, but it's kind of chalky in appearance). I know PSA mags come with Magpul followers. I bought a few Noveske mags when I was ordering some other things from their website because I was curious who they were made by. They turned out to have the D&H cage code on the body with the Noveske cage code on the floor plate (for double the price of the PSA version):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/649CDAE2-C465-4D56-A771-50ED5C8113DC_jpeg-821777.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/DBA8003A-A030-47A7-8305-5FD3E14A1440_jpeg-821778.JPG

Again, I don't really doubt that these D&H mags will hold up ok, but if I'm going to buy aluminum mags, I'm going to stick with the ones that seem to be better quality to me. That's just where I'd rather spend my money.
@3ACR_Scout Not giving you shit but what are the dates on those mags. The D&H one you have shown has the old style green follower and the Okay one has the newest style follower?

My D&H are the PSA labeled black ones and they're fine as far as the seems go. In fact they look better than the Brownells ones I have from when Brownell was a .gov contractor for "real" USGI mags. In a couple of years another company will get the contract and Okay won't be USGI mags anymore either and there'll be another "must have, real USGI" magazine. It's all semantics really......
Okay doesn't have a contract now.

Only genuine Center Industries are legit G.I. mags
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyway....

Since they can be bought for only about a dollar more than D@H, it makes no sense to buy D@H; unless they are on a great sale.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FIFY.
The $4 difference is evident.
View Quote
PSA sells D@H typically for $7.99 each; plus sales tax. Free shipping on 10.

Botach sells a six pack of OKAY Mags for $55.00; no sales tax. Free shipping.

It's actually less than a dollar difference in price; for most of us
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
D@H works fine  They supply mags to foreign militaries. That said, OKAY seems to pay slightly more attention to detail and more rigourously tests their mags.
I posted this photo comparison on another forum last year. I know others are fans of D&H mags and haven’t had any issues with them, but I personally don’t consider them “USGI” - more like “USGI style” - and would rather spend the extra few bucks for Okay mags.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos - it was hard to focus on the gray magazine bodies in my poor kitchen lighting. Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below. Note the ripples in the D&H spine where it's pinched in at the weld spots, while the Okay has a smooth spine with no gap showing. The Okay seams actually appear to be sealed somehow - not sure if that’s an effect of the dry lube finish:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/2982FE82-84DF-4B18-B41E-03CE9A63F892_jpeg-821776.JPG

Top of the rear and front spine seams. Note that this expensive Noveske-branded mag came with an older green follower, and the spring seems lower quality also (I'm no expert on spring materials, but it's kind of chalky in appearance). I know PSA mags come with Magpul followers. I bought a few Noveske mags when I was ordering some other things from their website because I was curious who they were made by. They turned out to have the D&H cage code on the body with the Noveske cage code on the floor plate (for double the price of the PSA version):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/649CDAE2-C465-4D56-A771-50ED5C8113DC_jpeg-821777.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/DBA8003A-A030-47A7-8305-5FD3E14A1440_jpeg-821778.JPG

Again, I don't really doubt that these D&H mags will hold up ok, but if I'm going to buy aluminum mags, I'm going to stick with the ones that seem to be better quality to me. That's just where I'd rather spend my money.
I listed the production years in the post that you quoted: “Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below.” The D&H magazine has the old style green follower because it’s a Noveske branded mag (with a Noveske cage code baseplate). I was ordering some other parts from Noveske, and they had a sale on their “MILSPEC” magazine, which only showed a closeup of the baseplate and didn’t mention that it was a D&H mag. This was a different listing from the mag that comes in gray and black - they way it was described made me think it was a dry lubed, GI mag. I was curious to see what their mags were like, and was really irritated when the package arrived and I saw the D&H cage code on the body. I paid about double the price of a D&H from PSA. Lesson learned...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay doesn't have a contract now.

Only genuine Center Industries are legit G.I. mags
View Quote
Okay apparently does have a contract again to produce EPMs, as I posted about here after an Okay Rep asked if I had seen any of their EPMs in Army circulation yet. If you go down a few posts, army75th replied saying that his son, a Marine, was issued some of them. I left the line last summer and am back in a staff job, so I haven’t seen any of them myself.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I listed the production years in the post that you quoted: “Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below.” The D&H magazine has the old style green follower because it’s a Noveske branded mag (with a Noveske cage code baseplate). I was ordering some other parts from Noveske, and they had a sale on their “MILSPEC” magazine, which only showed a closeup of the baseplate and didn’t mention that it was a D&H mag. This was a different listing from the mag that comes in gray and black - they way it was described made me think it was a dry lubed, GI mag. I was curious to see what their mags were like, and was really irritated when the package arrived and I saw the D&H cage code on the body. I paid about double the price of a D&H from PSA. Lesson learned...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@3ACR_Scout Reading is fundamental, I missed the dates. My apologies.

My PSA labeled D&H's seams are all good and have the MP followers (2015 and later production).
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Labelle WAS, D&H has never been.
View Quote
Cough.

cagecode
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cough.

cagecode
View Quote
Thx, I wondered what those numbers meant. The D&H I have have them.
"04TQ4"

ETA looks like they had contracts from 2016 back to 2006
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top