Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2017 3:56:17 PM EDT
I was wondering about differences in strength between a few mags.  I have nothing but PMAGS gen 2 and 3 in the non windowed version.  I guess the standard version.  I am about to get into 300blk and was looking at Lancers and PMAGS, but with a difference I could tell by just a look.  If I would go Lancer, I would not care if it was their standard version or the smoke, as it could tell right away that it was not for 5.56.  But I like PMAGS as well, so if I would go with theirs, I would like to go with a window version.   All of my mags are black, so I guess I could go with a different color.

But is there a difference in strength between a PMAG window and non-window?   Is there a strength difference between a regular Lancer and a smoke one?

I am looking for a bulk buy here, so that is the reason I ask.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with Lancer, but I've never seen or heard of an issue with the window in a Pmag.  Even if the window broke out and was gone it wouldn't hurt the function of the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
In general, the more clear the plastic is the more brittle it is.

In practical use, I have never heard of PMag failure do to the plastic in the window, and unless you plan on starting a land war in Asia, I wouldn't worry about the Lancer mag either.

Take a look at the ETS mags as well.

I have found them to be quite good, and use the for .300 BO just so I can see what is in the mag at all times.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The windowed Pmags do not compromise on strength. The Marine Corps tested Pmags quite thoroughly before making them standard issue, and the ONLY ones authorized for use are the windowed Pmags. That should put to rest any concerns of the windowed ones being weaker.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In general, the more clear the plastic is the more brittle it is.

In practical use, I have never heard of PMag failure do to the plastic in the window, and unless you plan on starting a land war in Asia, I wouldn't worry about the Lancer mag either.

Take a look at the ETS mags as well.

I have found them to be quite good, and use the for .300 BO just so I can see what is in the mag at all times.
View Quote
The ETS mags are tough SOBs, but there's a caveat. They have a version with a mag coupler molded into the sides of the mags, allowing you to twist and lock 2 of them together without needing a coupler, but the molded coupler makes the mags wider, so they're difficult to insert and extract from doublestack pouches.

Even the non-coupled ETS mags have ribs that stick out quite a bit, making them a tighter fit than any other mags I've used (PMags gen 2 & 3, Lancers and GI), and yanking one out of a doublestack pouch is difficult, and will usually yank the other mag out too, when the ribs catch on each other.

Lancers are my favorite 5.56 mags. Gen3 PMags are GTG too, windowed or not, but the Lancers steel wraparound make the lips more spread resistant, and more resistant to splitting the rear when a full mag is dropped.

I haven't tested the smoke vs opaque Lancers to compare toughness though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two of the ETS coupled mags.

It may be legit but it isn't my thing and I keep them for the novelty.

I never thought about putting them in mag pouches. Good info on that.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top