Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2017 8:10:08 PM EDT
I know this has probably been beat to death but I'm finding many different answers on the topic so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and ask.

Does it harm pmags leaving them loaded without a cap or top on them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They say it does no harm but others say the feedlips get weak if you leave them loaded for years.

The covers are just dust covers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this has probably been beat to death but I'm finding many different answers on the topic so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and ask.

Does it harm pmags leaving them loaded without a cap or top on them?
View Quote

no.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope had and have them loaded for years... no issues
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A year or two, probably no major problem.  The magazines are well designed.

But, any polymer placed under a constant tensile load will suffer a permanent change dimension known as "creep".  This applies to all polymer magazines, it is not unique to Magpul, so if you're talking a couple of decades, yes, leaving them loaded would risk malfunction.  

If you want a few "ready" magazines you can load, leave loaded essentially forever and not have to worry about, buy some quality blackened stainless steel mags, or you could just buy a few extra plastic mags and just get in the habit of rotating them out of the "ready" bag on your mother-in-law's birthday.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
When the poly magazines started coming out in numbers there was some reports of certain brands splitting if they were left loaded, that is pretty much a thing of the past now and I don't hear about it anymore.

I am pretty sure PMAG has corrected those types of problems with magazines now a days.  I have several genII mags that have been loaded for a long time now and no problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
They "say" it does not affect the mag. However, there ARE some who have said it DOES. Spread out feed lips IS a thing, and people have reported it. There are also those that say "NO, it has no effect" (and have left their mags loaded for (almost) ever. BTW, the "dust covers" MP supplies are just that... "dust covers". They do not offer any structural support for the mag or feedlips. They supposedly push down the uppermost round.. but that is not their intent.
When Pmags fail, it's usually at the spine behind the feedlips.
So... it's not definitive. Some "have" and some "have not". Or... you could get some Lancer L5AWM's and never have to think about that issue ever again. Just saying
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolute non issue. The only people who SAY it is an issue are ignorant. Definitively.

Magpul has loaded mags from every generation they pull out and test each year. No issues yet last I heard.

Perhaps someone has mags from a time machine loaded longer ago than the release of the Gen 1 PMAG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I have pmgas loaded for 5 years. Mostly gen1's, some gen2's.  The only issue I saw was 2 of the gen1's developed a crack at the back of the top rib. Magpul replaced them with new ones.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Every single magazine I keep loaded long term (15+) is a GI.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolute non issue. The only people who SAY it is an issue are ignorant. Definitively.

Magpul has loaded mags from every generation they pull out and test each year. No issues yet last I heard.

Perhaps someone has mags from a time machine loaded longer ago than the release of the Gen 1 PMAG.
View Quote
Well that is a dumb answer...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have pmgas loaded for 5 years. Mostly gen1's, some gen2's.  The only issue I saw was 2 of the gen1's developed a crack at the back of the top rib. Magpul replaced them with new ones.
View Quote
That's not good.

At least they replaced them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Caps are gay, throw em away!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Leave them loaded to the top.  No dust covers needed.  All good.  I have 110 in the safe, fully loaded, no issues
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a gen 2 that was loaded for about a year. Shot it today, it ran fine, however it wouldn't drop free. In fact, I had to almost strain a muscle pulling it free.

Mags (like it or not) are consumables. I don't blame Magpul, nor do I think they should replace it. Shit happens. I'll probably pull the guts out of it and turn it into a magwell vise block.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing I don't get is that Gen2 don't come with a dust cover but Gen3 does.  If the dust covers are not needed, then why package them and not the Gen2's?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I personally keep metal mags loaded long term but for no rhyme or reason. I'm sure P-mags would be just fine too but I just trust metal more than plastic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One thing I don't get is that Gen2 don't come with a dust cover but Gen3 does.  If the dust covers are not needed, then why package them and not the Gen2's?  
View Quote
The gen M2s originally did come with dust covers. When the gen M3 was released, the gen M2s were moved to the MOE product line, which is their cheaper stuff. That's why they don't have covers anymore.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's not good.

At least they replaced them.
View Quote
There were gen1's though. The newer ones are made stronger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have pmgas loaded for 5 years. Mostly gen1's, some gen2's. The only issue I saw was 2 of the gen1's developed a crack at the back of the top rib.
I guess fuzzy was just too ignorant to realize his magazine hadn't really cracked after all.

But, I never said anything about P-Mags cracking as a result of being left loaded.  I said they would, over time, suffer permanent dimensional changes due to the phenomenon known as "creep" which is inherent to all polymers.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top