Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2017 1:37:42 PM EDT
Looking for creative ways to number your mags.
Does anyone use stencils? What kind of paint is safe to use on mags polymer or aluminum?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
sharpie on pmags
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a paint pen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
*humble brag* I got way too many mags to try to number them...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Red electrical tape and a black sharpie.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
well...I mean at some point you run out of fingers and toes

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You put the number on the tape?

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
All my mags say "87"
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a silver paint pen and a midsize 3/4" or so plastic stencil out of a PAC that came with like 4 sizes. 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Sharpie or paint pen. Numbered with my initials.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same but mine have mostly blue or green electrical tape.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Scratch them with a scribe/awl.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you attend training where you drop mags all over with a bunch of people, it's handy to number and ID mark your mags.  

Bring a set number of mags to keep track of how many you came/left with.   You don't have to number all your mags, just the ones you use.

Drop mags in a house or stage and then let a bunch of other guys go after you and step on your mags and the numbers come in handy to separate the ones that got dicked up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Orange paint pen with my first initial and a number.  I think I paid 1.50 for the paint pen at a local hardware store. Not fancy but functional.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Sharpie paint pen to number my mags.  I use my initials plus a sequential number.  For the ones I use for competition I include a C as part of the label.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking for creative ways to number your mags.
Does anyone use stencils? What kind of paint is safe to use on mags polymer or aluminum?
View Quote

I'm far from anal about a lot of issues (don't give a crap about fit and finish, cleaning guns, etc). However, magazine failures are something I monitor...

I've tried Sharpie and Industrial Sharpie but they both wore off too quickly.  I now use a paint pen.

My mags are marked with my last name (helps in a class or with friends) and the mag designation.  I designate mags for Range and Social use (e.g. R1, S3, etc). Self Defense mags are tested thoroughly and then pulled out of my training rotation.  I like to keep the miles down on them.

The reality is ... in spite of my obsession ... I rarely if ever have a QUALITY magazine related problem.  I've never had a single OKay mag related issue in MANY MANY MANY years of using them.

ETA: The only mag failures I've experienced in the past 10 years have been PMag related.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always thought keeping a log of numbered mags was too much trouble.

Instead, I keep target pasters in my range bag. If I have a problem, I put a paster on the mag with a notation like "bad" or "clean me." In very bad cases, I write "Free mag."
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
sharpie on pmags
View Quote
I use metallic colored sharpis even on my gen 2s with no matrix, I also mark the front of the mag below the feedlips just to get a quick count in a pile before I pack up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I just use a white paint marker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep 50 gen 3 pmags labeled with paint pens as training mags.

I've always numbered mags I took in country.

I haven't numbered all my aluminum mags or any of the mags still in their 100 mag cases
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Rit dye

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never needed to number my mags.  If I did though I would use a sharpie.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Bronze or silver colored sharpie with initials and numbered.

Range mags I don't bother.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Brother P-touch label maker.  Don't overthink this.  You can put FUAROCK on them or even P320.    Tater photos:::

Hell, you can even put your name on them if you want them back after an IPSC or three gun match.  If you don't follow the rule of tool, you will lose. 
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Silver sharpie.  Some don't get numbered, some don't.  Mags that are common at matches have my name and a number, some where I was trying to figure out feedign issues are numbered, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I put my first initial and a number on the base plate using an Orange paint pen that I picked up from a welding shop for 75 cents.   Example= JXX  the XX being a sequential number.  Example all my 30 round AR mags are numbered 01-whatever I'm up to now.  40 round AR mags are 01-whatever,  Glock magas are 01-whatever ect.  

My wife's mags are labeled with her first initial and a sequential number based on mag type.  Example=RXX

If a mag gives me problems they get marked "DO NOT USE" or "TRAINING ONLY" and removed from rotation then I'll buy another and place it back in rotation with that same number.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Mark them with your initials and your last 4 to show ownership.  Then tell people its your "battle roster number" so they know you are the real deal.

Number the mags at a different spot so that you will eventually figure out that mag 6 causes all your misfeeds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I use a paint pen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't give a shit what number mag Im using at any given time, but I keep a silver sharpie and put a dot on them anytime I get a minor malf (usually just fail to lock back, stove pipe, double feed, doesnt drop free) if a pattern gets established It turns into a target or a training implement.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Scratch them with a scribe/awl.
View Quote
Best way. Won't wear off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Been using a paint marker since the late 80s.  Found my GW1 mags all ready to go in one of my LBEs.

CD
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can count to eleven.

But I haz to be nekkid to do it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can count to eleven.

But I haz to be nekkid to do it.
View Quote
I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
sharpie on pmags
View Quote
I use the metalic colored shsrpies on both gi mags & P mags.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Paint pens and label maker (using waterproof labels) - labels look way better and I've had most on for nearly 10 years without an issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I use my wifes nail polish
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top