Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2010 6:50:46 PM EDT
I'm seeing less and less of this within the .mil and at carbine classes, etc. Anyone know why the magazine coupling seems to be losing popularity?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
When I tried it, by the time I'd get through the mag in the gun, the top round of the reload mag would slide forward and cause an extra step or a malfunction during the reload.    I sold the couplers right after that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont really like the added weight.  I figured I'd rather trade off the extra ammo and added weight for a slightly slower reload, but much lighter rifle.  I suspect weight is becoming the main issue, especially when u add all the other junk to the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it just felt awkward with the extra bulk on there, plus the extra mag is hanging off different sides of the rifle at different times, giving you one more thing to consider when you are trying to avoid getting all tangled up in your "high speed operator" gear. But then again, I'm a minimalist, and even with just the VFG and light on my carbine it feels bulky to me, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My carbine is heavy enough as it is. 2 mags won't be enough, so you'll still have a vest, belt, or whatever with more mags. A coupled mag won't necessarily slide into a pouch or your dump bag as easily.

If you want quick reloads, I think the readi-mag is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Although I understand its purpose it is very heavy! In terms of mag couplers causing malfunctions try a Mag Grip. They are as good as they come, aluminum construction, very low profile design, and they work very well!
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My carbine is heavy enough as it is. 2 mags won't be enough, so you'll still have a vest, belt, or whatever with more mags. A coupled mag won't necessarily slide into a pouch or your dump bag as easily.

Redi-mag are advance version of mag coupler. They have their uses but unlike normal coupler the extra weight is always there.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Redi-mag are advance version of mag coupler. They have their uses but unlike normal coupler the extra weight is always there.

That's true, but it doesn't effectively double the width of your magazine, it just puts your mag holder closer to the mag well. That way you have the fast reload time but don't have to deal with dumping extra-thick mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, I think it was a bad idea to begin with...

1) Heavy
2) Mag is out there with exposed feed lips to get all manner of shit crammed down in there

It may look cool at the range, but if you ever have to go prone, crawl through mud, leaves or other bullshit your nifty extra mag will fail.  Better idea is to keep an extra handy in a sealed pouch on the stock, or in your web-gear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a tandem pair of PMI 40 round mags in my home defense AR, with a cover on the spare. The weight and balance change is noticeable, but doesn't bother me. Of course, I'm not humping it around either. My extras are mostly singles, with one other pair of tandem PMI 40s. What specific application were you thinking of using them for? I'd say that is the main question, not the relative popularity of doing it. How many records did Lady Ga Ga sell last year...? I'm still not buying one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 On the Redi Mag.

I was practicing my mag changes one night before a match. My magazines were "coupled". I happened to mishandle them after I released them and both mags fell to the floor. If I was in combat or at the range or in a match, I could have ruined my mags, or lost time reloading, or lost a stage, etc.  Immediately I took them out of the couplers and ordered a Redi Mag.

The Redi mag allows me to handle ONE mag. I press the mag release, let the empty  mag drop and the fresh mag releases into my hand, all at the same time. And the top round doesn't slide forward in the fresh magazine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not had issues with the first round sliding on the second mag, but I have seen Redi Mags dump the spare a few times from guys dropping to one knee, bracing on a barricade, etc. Plus, they're pretty proud of those things. My couplers work great for me and cost $15.00.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Firebird P mag coupler. It works great for me at work and in competition. At work as a patrol officer we don't have tons of AR mags on our person. What is on the rifle is usually all we have time for. So a coupled mag allows me to have more than enough rounds to fight with and it also provides a great mono pod. that being said I only like the Firebird coupler as all others I have tried let the mags shift around.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly, I think it was a bad idea to begin with...

1) Heavy
2) Mag is out there with exposed feed lips to get all manner of shit crammed down in there

It may look cool at the range, but if you ever have to go prone, crawl through mud, leaves or other bullshit your nifty extra mag will fail.  Better idea is to keep an extra handy in a sealed pouch on the stock, or in your web-gear.

Funny I have crawled through leaves and mud and not had a fail.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I tried it, by the time I'd get through the mag in the gun, the top round of the reload mag would slide forward and cause an extra step or a malfunction during the reload.    I sold the couplers right after that.

This is the problem. BFG's Redi-Mod and a Magpul BAD lever are a very nice setup. I don't mind the extra weight and changes are lightning fast. I just keep the Redi-Mod back filled.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to use a Mag-Cinch for my first two mags.

I also used to be a Private.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Used mag cinches until I had it interfer with inserting the second mag.  Went to the shit can real fast after that.  If I need more than one mag for a call I've got a BOB sitting next to the rifle with 6 extra mags for the rifle and 4 for the pistol.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm seeing less and less of this within the .mil and at carbine classes, etc. Anyone know why the magazine coupling seems to be losing popularity?

People have found new things to put on their carbines that make them heavy - aluminum fore ends, lights, vertical grips, etc.    It all adds up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I am surprised nobody has mentioned my favorite reason for not using them:
When the two magazines are even in height, you swap from the right magazine to the left usually (as viewed from behind the stock), now there is a magazine right next to the ejection port. Murpy's Law will bite you at the most inopportune moment like a perfect string in competition, the chance to qualify expert or worse, he will bounce that piece of brass back in the ejection port when you are in the middle of a firefight...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Having an extra 30 rounds at the ready would be great, but its not worth the extra weight to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am surprised nobody has mentioned my favorite reason for not using them:
When the two magazines are even in height, you swap from the right magazine to the left usually (as viewed from behind the stock), now there is a magazine right next to the ejection port. Murpy's Law will bite you at the most inopportune moment like a perfect string in competition, the chance to qualify expert or worse, he will bounce that piece of brass back in the ejection port when you are in the middle of a firefight...

hence the reason for the staggered setups now on the market.

i like brownell’s coupler for 4 reasons:
1 - the mags are staggered
2 - there’s a top round protector for the second mag preventing any movement of the top round (this feature also doubles to help keep debris out of the mag.)
3 - they’re inexpensive
4 - they flat out work!

i’ll take the extra bulk and added weight for the advantage of having an additional 30 rounds on standby. in a pinch i can just grab the rifle and go, knowing that i have 60 rounds at my disposal. this is what works for me, obviously YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
From a major southeast SO with 500+ Patrol Rifle certified Deputies,
there are a lot less doublers in use today (for reasons already stated)
than when the program was instituted in 06. The Training Staff agrees.
More Redimags are showing up.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top