Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
Anybody use this stuff?  Gonna refinish some mags and want something other than permasilk.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I like alumahyde for refinishing fiberglass stocks.  I've used the gloss black, matt black, coyote, earth brown and desert.  I think it might be a little thick for mags IMO.  I also used it for refinishing the metal on a SAR-2.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The matte parkerized gray color is almost a perfect match.  Follow the direction, heat the mags first with as hair dryer, apply 2 medium coats 1 minute apart using the hair dryer to set the sheen.  Don't handle for 24 hrs.  Don't use for 5 days.

Great stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The matte parkerized gray color is almost a perfect match.  Follow the direction, heat the mags first with as hair dryer, apply 2 medium coats 1 minute apart using the hair dryer to set the sheen.  Don't handle for 24 hrs.  Don't use for 5 days.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the info.  How does the finish hold up?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
It is, like all the other spray-on finishes, a paint.  But unlike other common paints, it has superior adhesion and surface toughness.  The paint is epoxy based and contains minute aluminum particles which are what provide the toughness. But like any finish, it will only be as tough as what it's applied over.  GI aluminum alloy mags are perfect...I just  roughen them up a bit with 400 grit paper and clean the resudue with alcohol.  The finish is smooth as glass especially if the metal is warm to the touch.  It will wear but not chip, flake, peel, or crack.

HTH
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top