Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:08:28 AM EDT
I ordered some of each, and the ISMI are 0.062" in diameter and look nice.

The Brownells are 0.058"

ISMI are 2.5 times are expensive.

ISMI says they are 'heat treated, shot peened, and stress relieved.'

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in a ban-state, so I can't just buy all of the delicious $10 each magazing deals that everyone else gets. I did get someone to sell me a case of 30 NIW preban USGI mags last year for a good price.

My goal is to make 'high-reliability' magazines that can stay fully loaded for long periods of time.

I am taking apart my old mags, blasting them, Gunkoting them black, and putting in Magpul followers and Ranger plates. I want to make up a set of mags I know I can count on. If any of them fail, I will mark them. If I notice one fails more than others, I will decommission it.

So mostly I am shopping for a spring that will stay compressed and not lose power.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
That means I want chrome-silicon, thanks.

I wonder if the military will ever switch to it?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not just ask or guess who supplys Brownells springs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah.

I had no idea you made them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered 6 new Brownells mags and opened the box up last night and found two with feed lips out of spec with very sharp edges, I think they will go back.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a discussion about this over at 10-8forums.com; it seems like some believe that the ISMI are overkill and CS is exceedingly sufficient.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top