Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:47:31 AM EDT
I'm looking to pickup a couple of new straight 20 rounders, any reason to not get these?
www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm
Anything better out there at close to the price?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Two sources for you:

1. www.cproductsllc.com
2. www.44mag.com

Both places sell 20 and 30 rounders.  I have bought from both, and have been happy with both.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
First off ignore the comments by the newb above as he failed to realize your looking for the older USGI 20 rounders (which are straight).

FWIW, I'd avoid the NHMTG 20 rounders there as they have the "black-plastic" followers (which are representative of NEW 20 rounders).

YMMV, but I'd take 20 year old used USGI 20 rounders with the "alloy" followers over the new ones any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

infact most of mine (USGI 20s) are that old or older and still work 100%.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Not trying to piss on your wheaties there bud, but the link he posted goes to "New" USGI mags, not old ones.  Add to that the fact that he states he wants "New" in the title and description.
Eagle is selling "New" D&H and Colt mags.

The older ones are straight, well, you got me there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

................YMMV, but I'd take 20 year old used USGI 20 rounders with the "alloy" followers over the new ones any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

infact most of mine (USGI 20s) are that old or older and still work 100%.

Mike

Me too. I have 13 from the late 60s-early 70's. Still going strong. I NEED ONE MORE! Triskedecaphobia.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You could buy the NHMTG 20 rounders , and then order some of the replacement alloy followers, that John Masen sells..

John Masen
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple of NHMTG 20 rounders (straight body), I've not had a single feeding issue with them.  I've only used them a few times, but they don't seem to give me any problems with the black plastic followers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys...
I ordered the new ones...
mr_wilson: I'm sure you're right...I just have this thing about used stuff hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of the NHMTG mags with USGI alloy followers in them.

Best of both worlds

On another note, you almost can't go wrong buying old 20's. They pretty much always work and are known to be the most reliable mag ever made for the AR15/M16 rifle.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't pass up on the used twenties. I'd like to have a couple dozen more myself. I have never, ever had a magazine related malfunction due to any of mine and a couple of them look like they are older than I am, which is to say they are probably over thirty years old.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You could buy the NHMTG 20 rounders , and then order some of the replacement alloy followers, that John Masen sells..

John Masen

Neat.  Anyone ever use these?  How good are they?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Masen

I use them , never had a problem with them , they work just as good , as all the old usgi 20 round mags i have ..
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Masen

I use them , never had a problem with them , they work just as good , as all the old usgi 20 round mags i have ..

My questions is:  The picture at the link provided above to the reproduction replacement alloy 20rd follower- shows the tell-tale wear dimple present.  Do the actual ones purchased have these dimples?  I would think if someone is going to market such an item, they would ensure it's new- but then again- if they reverse engineered the follower and their sample was used & had the dimple present, they may have set up a mould which casts the dimple in place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've got a couple of NHMTG 20 rounders (straight body), I've not had a single feeding issue with them.  I've only used them a few times, but they don't seem to give me any problems with the black plastic followers.

I don't know where the notion that something is wrong with the plastic follower started.  Shit!  I sold off all of my NEW alloy followered 20s, Bought NHMTGs to replace them and Kept the difference!

The NHTMGs are running fine for me!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where the notion that something is wrong with the plastic follower started.  Shit!  I sold off all of my NEW alloy followered 20s, Bought NHMTGs to replace them and Kept the difference!

The NHTMGs are running fine for me!

I wouldn't necessarily fault you for that, but to me the alloy followers are an example of an item that wasn't broken- so why fix it? The black plastic follower IMO was nothing more than a solution in search of a problem.  Obviously YMMV.

One can argue price difference in manufacturering, but I'd say leave that decision to the consumer.  The alloys should be a standard option IMHO.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for links.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wouldn't necessarily fault you for that, but to me the alloy followers are an example of an item that wasn't broken- so why fix it? The black plastic follower IMO was nothing more than a solution in search of a problem.  Obviously YMMV.

One can argue price difference in manufacturering, but I'd say leave that decision to the consumer.  The alloys should be a standard option IMHO.

I'd say it was like anything else.  A cheaper and easier way to get it done.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say it was like anything else.  A cheaper and easier way to get it done.  

Sly
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any proof that alloy is better than plastic or is it just some percieved advantage.  Remember the allmighty Magpul follower is made of plastic and they seem to have quite a following.  IMO people around here make waaaaay too much of a big deal about the little piece of plastic (or metal) that sits between the mag spring and the ammo
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is there any proof that alloy is better than plastic or is it just some percieved advantage.  Remember the allmighty Magpul follower is made of plastic and they seem to have quite a following.  IMO people around here make waaaaay too much of a big deal about the little piece of plastic (or metal) that sits between the mag spring and the ammo

I'll counter you w/ proof that the alloy is better, but only after you provide proof that the plastic is better than- hell equal to- the alloy.

Let's be clear, I am not of the opinion that the plastic will not work- I'm just saying if something has proven trouble free for decades of actual combat use... Why go and change it?

I just realized that due to supply & demand, I'll forego any future argument concering the merits of the older straight bodied 20rd mags w/ alloy followers.  I'd much prefer that folks do not choose them over later production magazines.  This will, in some limited capacity, decrease the demand & ensure the limited supply will linger a bit longer for myself to snatch up as many as I can.  (Added benefit: With less demand the price will decrease to boot)  In this way, I see no shame in being selfish...

Sly
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#21]
That's easy!  If I gave you ten mags,.....no a hundred mags(50 with plastic 50 with alloy) full of the same ammo and you fired them through the same weapon I guarantee you couldn't tell the diffrence between the ones with plastic vs. the ones with alloy.  I say plastic is better since it doesn't tarnish or corrode.  So there
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The John Mason alloy followers do not tilt in my mags.  I only have one plastic follower 20 round Colt mag and it does tilt, but it also works fine.    The 20 round mags work great.  In NY, where new mags are not allowed because they are more dangerous than my old mags, they go for $25 each.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Check your local shows. I picked up 10 USGI straight-body, alloy follower 20 round mags at the Tulsa gun show this past weekend for under $9 a piece. Finish ranged from 30-90%, if that even matters. HTH.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I use both the old colts and the brand new NHMTG 20 for HighPower.  Both work fine.    

I just refinished (PermaSilk) and put new springs in my colts.  They look new again.  Still using the old alloy followers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#26]
just pick up 3 old adventureline from the 70 s like new never issued for 39.00 at an Ohio gun show in Sheronville
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Masen

My questions is:  The picture at the link provided above to the reproduction replacement alloy 20rd follower- shows the tell-tale wear dimple present.  Do the actual ones purchased have these dimples?  I would think if someone is going to market such an item, they would ensure it's new- but then again- if they reverse engineered the follower and their sample was used & had the dimple present, they may have set up a mould which casts the dimple in place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sly

What the heck is the wear dimple?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#28]

"What the heck is the wear dimple?"

Exactly.....You all worry way too much about this minutia(spelling)  Between the wear dimples and jamming green followers with pencils we are all doomed
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top