User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here's my AR with an HK mag in it, paid so damn much for it I won't load it and shoot it at the range because I don't want it getting scuffed up.  Don't get me wrong, it's high quality to say the least.  But I bet it's no better than one of the SS mags with a Magpul follower from C Products at half the cost.
i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/Cavalry99/3.jpg

+1  C Products stainless mags won't rust, period and don't cost nearly as much.  Another advantage is weight.  An HK loaded (30 rounds) weighs 1 1/2 pounds.  A C Products stainless weighs one pound flat loaded to thirty rounds.  

TS :TS:
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my AR with an HK mag in it, paid so damn much for it I won't load it and shoot it at the range because I don't want it getting scuffed up.  Don't get me wrong, it's high quality to say the least.  But I bet it's no better than one of the SS mags with a Magpul follower from C Products at half the cost.

+1  C Products stainless mags won't rust, period and don't cost nearly as much.  Another advantage is weight.  An HK loaded (30 rounds) weighs 1 1/2 pounds.  A C Products stainless weighs one pound flat loaded to thirty rounds.  

+1

If I bought a Steel type mag it would be the CP SS!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are much more savvy ways to spend your money IMO.
my 10 dollar mags work just as good, as far as i can tell.

Discussions on Hk mags always comes back to the money.

If they were the exact same price, would you guys take the Hk mags, or a USGI?

If you answered - Yes, you have identified the problem people have with them. It is NOT performance, durability, etc.

I like my old Colt 20 rounders that Ive been useing for years!

If the cost were the same I would stick with the OLD Colt 20 rounders Because they always FEED never a single problem .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have seen this claim more than once now. why would a SS C-Products mag not rust if the finnish is removed? i have one on the way for testing but have not seen it yet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have seen this claim more than once now. why would a SS C-Products mag not rust if the finnish is removed? i have one on the way for testing but have not seen it yet.

Stainless Steel
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stainless Steel

stainless steel will still rust. it does not rust as easy as standerd steel but it WILL rust. i have never botherd to check the H&K mags, does anyone know if they are SS?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
It's sad to read so much bad information in one thread.

HK mags suck so bad that they are now part of the SOPOD kit. Not to mention virtually every instructor in the business worth listening too highly recommends them.

I have the funny feeling some of you have never even seen an HK mag.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have the funny feeling some of you have never even seen an HK mag.

They Have now....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
* supposedly you can fit 30 rounds in it and still have it seat properly*

ive never had any problems loading 30 rounds into every single magazine Ive shot

That is because you don't use four-way anti-tilt followers.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
whats wrong with USGI????  Tried and true.  German engineering my shitsock!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my HK mag as a prize!

Eat your hearts out.

And yes, it is a kick-ass magazine.  Like many others here, I'd like to get more, but at $50 each, it's a little hard on the wallet.

John  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I got my HK mag as a prize!

Eat your hearts out.

And yes, it is a kick-ass magazine.  Like many others here, I'd like to get more, but at $50 each, it's a little hard on the wallet.

John  

i got the ones you see above for $35 each.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
i bought 16 at $36.33 each deliverd. if you shop around you can find deals. the most i ever paid was $40.00 deliverd. stainless member did you have to pay shipping or was it $35 each after delivery?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i bought 16 at $36.33 each deliverd. if you shop around you can find deals. the most i ever paid was $40.00 deliverd. stainless member did you have to pay shipping or was it $35 each after delivery?

HEHE... that sounds like the Villian in an Austin Powers Movie......

"I LUV Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinlllesssssssssssss"

hehehhe.

I just got lucky, & i was in a right place at the right time, & got them NIW for 35 each, no shipping.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a pic of the HK mag?

Why does Heckler and Koch make a magazine for the
AR-15?

They don't make an AR-15 rifle do they?

Frank

HK originally was involved with 'AR Mags' due to their 're-work' of the (in)famous SA-80.

Their involvement continued when they decided they were 'God's gift to the US Military' and came out with their 'better M4' and it's 'replacement'.

Fortunately for us and unfortunately for HK, neither was adopted to any significant degree.

Of course, HK is going to get thrown a little 'bone', probably the next issue-pistol contract, which wouldn't be half bad so long as the spec-writer's don't write in stupidity.... HK makes good pistols, although their rifles leave something to be desired vis-a-vis AR-system equivalents....

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nothing is wrong with USGI mags so long as you understand they were made to be disposable on the battlefield. They were not built to last. Every serious user has cracked feedlips and otherwise ruined GI mags in the course of buisness.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing is wrong with USGI mags so long as you understand they were made to be disposable on the battlefield. They were not built to last. Every serious user has cracked feedlips and otherwise ruined GI mags in the course of buisness.
Pat

Exactly.  Serious shooters need to understand that magazines are consumables, including even the strongest magazines.  The moment it malfunctions or even upon the appearance of serious indications of wear, you must acknowledge that the magazine needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
stainless steel will still rust. it does not rust as easy as standerd steel but it WILL rust. i have never botherd to check the H&K mags, does anyone know if they are SS?

Stainless steel will rust, but not very much and not very easily.  Non-stainless, like the HK of which I own a few, especially with wear of the finish will rust and rust easily.  Of stainless steel, regular (non-stainless) steel, and aluminum I'll take the stainless every time.

TS
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stainless steel will rust, but not very much and not very easily.  Non-stainless, like the HK of which I own a few, especially with wear of the finish will rust and rust easily.  Of stainless steel, regular (non-stainless) steel, and aluminum I'll take the stainless every time.

TS

I will have to disagree with you here. Stainless will rust and rust a lot. I have seen stainless guns stuck to gun cases with rust. Salt water does a number on them. I don't care if the steel is stainless or not so long as it has a good finish protecting it. The various finishes out there will last far longer in salt spray than bare stainless steel.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Rather have a THERMOLD they DONT RUST PERIOD!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

I wish my OLD COLT 20 rounders new that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
FMJ, don't mistake what he's saying. When a mag is worn, it's trash. Some last a long time, some don't. Mags shouldn't be sentimental objects. When they outlast their usefullness, trash them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently attended a week long shooting class through the military that was taught by ex spec ops folks.  A couple students brought HK mags for their m-4s.  The ex Delta instructor said he would rather have standard alloy mags because they work just fine and the extra weight of the HK mags adds up when you pack a half dozen or so around all day every day.  I would bet that other high speed/low drag types feel the same way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I recently attended a week long shooting class through the military that was taught by ex spec ops folks.  A couple students brought HK mags for their m-4s.  The ex Delta instructor said he would rather have standard alloy mags because they work just fine and the extra weight of the HK mags adds up when you pack a half dozen or so around all day every day.  I would bet that other high speed/low drag types feel the same way.

Well as a Delta operator he has free mags provided to him and weight may be more of an issue because he may have to take that weapon on a 20 mile hike. For leo's and civilians who have to pay for their mags and want something to last and don't have to carry 12 loaded mags for 20 miles HK mags make more sense. Besides even guys in Delta, Seals ext have as many different opinions on this as we do.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I see this thread has become completely worthless.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'll give a recap for those who skip to the end:
HK mags are 4-5 times as expensive as USGI mags, weigh about twice as much, have the potential to rust, and apparently are very reliable (though a properly built USGI is equally reliable).  Buy what you like.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give a recap for those who skip to the end:
HK mags are 4-5 times as expensive as USGI mags, weigh about twice as much, have the potential to rust, and apparently are very reliable (though a properly built USGI is equally reliable).  Buy what you like.  

You forgot to mention they last 4 to 5 times as long which is a big deal if we get another mag ban.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I have used the heack out of my HK mags with no problems. I have had GI mags fail on me with cracked feed lips and other issues. Simple fact is steel is far more durable than alluminum. Its also a fact GI mags are made to be throw away mags.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So true.

But like a car wreck, its hard to look away.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have used the heack out of my HK mags with no problems. I have had GI mags fail on me with cracked feed lips and other issues. Simple fact is steel is far more durable than alluminum. Its also a fact GI mags are made to be throw away mags.
Pat

IF thats the case why do you have a AR15?? alluminum
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ill take 4 USGI's for the price of one hk.  

I'll take both. (In arfcom fashion, of course)

My price ratio worked out to just over 3 USGI to one HK after some smart shopping.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pat

IF thats the case why do you have a AR15?? alluminum

In the AR15 design the alluminum does not have to take any of the stress. The bolt cams off the barrel extension. All the areas that take a lot of stress are steel.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Price and mag life aside, let me take this at a different point of view. I have handle and used HK mag. Great magazine without a doubt, But because the way base plate is being constructed, one cannot use popular options like Magpul ranger plate; and using original Magpul does not work well if you want to fit two mags in your tac vest mag pouch. I am held prisoner in PRK so I am screwed either way; but I will choose good GI mags if I can still buy more mags, just need to add additional items to get them up to speed.

All the USGI mags I have has Magpul anti-tilt follower, Wolff extra power spring and ranger plate. Loaded to 28rd for positive mag seating during tactical reload. Never have a problem with feeding. Should the mag body failed (feed lip crack), I can still replace the mag body based on PRK's screw up gun law.

Won't be a bad idea to have one for collection, but even if I have the money, I still can't justify spending on the HK mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Franken USGI mags present tehir own sets of reliability problems.  YOu can modify and add until you are content but at the end of the day, you are betting on tollerances from multiple vendors.  With the HK you get it all from 1 vendor.  

Who cares what mag you use.  Use what you like.  If you work with your rifle for a living, spend the money.  If the most demanding thing you do is go to the range...who gives a #$%^?   It ain't a big deal if your hobby rifle malfunctions.  

It is just like anything else.  Professional tools for those who use them on the job and wal mart brand for folks that do it on the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Its also a fact GI mags are made to be throw away mags.

And yet we have other members in this very section of the board raving about how their 30+ year old 20 round straight mags with aluminum alloy followers still work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet we have other members in this very section of the board raving about how their 30+ year old 20 round straight mags with aluminum alloy followers still work flawlessly.

Well there is a difference between a weekend range shooter and a cop or soldier who trains harnd and fights with his gear. If you baby your mags at the range and never let them drop to the ground and never slam them home then almost any mag will last  forever. Those of us who use our gear hard know that GI 20 and 30 round mags do wear out. The mags have always been the achilees heal of the M16/AR15 weapon system.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I think that for the money the HK mags are way over priced and that for the money of one HK mag I can buy 10 enhanced mag springs from Specialiced Armerment and put the spring in my US GI mags.  The spring is the same one that HK puts in their gen II mags.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I can buy 10 enhanced mag springs from Specialized Armament and put the spring in my US GI mags.  The spring is the same one that HK puts in their gen II mags.  

I am pretty sure they are completely different a-bear. Not that one is better/worse than the other - just different. (I have both)

and these can be had for $35 each

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
FMJ, don't mistake what he's saying. When a mag is worn, it's trash. Some last a long time, some don't. Mags shouldn't be sentimental objects. When they outlast their usefullness, trash them.

LOL !

I just was born yesterday
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Franken USGI mags present tehir own sets of reliability problems.  YOu can modify and add until you are content but at the end of the day, you are betting on tollerances from multiple vendors.  With the HK you get it all from 1 vendor.  

Who cares what mag you use.  Use what you like.  If you work with your rifle for a living, spend the money.  If the most demanding thing you do is go to the range...who gives a #$%^?   It ain't a big deal if your hobby rifle malfunctions.  

It is just like anything else.  Professional tools for those who use them on the job and wal mart brand for folks that do it on the weekend.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well there is a difference between a weekend range shooter and a cop or soldier who trains harnd and fights with his gear. If you baby your mags at the range and never let them drop to the ground and never slam them home then almost any mag will last  forever. Those of us who use our gear hard know that GI 20 and 30 round mags do wear out. The mags have always been the achilees heal of the M16/AR15 weapon system.
Pat

If you practice BABY the MAG  Then you will do it under stress!

I dump my mags ! Let them Fall. Handgun and AR15 Mags

However I havent done it on Black top or side walks!

I will never eject a mag and put it back in place.

To me they are ALL throw away in SHTF MODE
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top