Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 12:34:18 PM EDT
Hi

I was googling through the web when I ran across a few sites with Taiwanese Type 65 steel Mags and one for SAR80 steel mags from singapore.  

Anyone try these mags?  Are they any good?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea.  I doubt you can beat the quality of the C Products twenty and thirty round dry-film USGI mags for $9.50 each.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Type65 30 round blued steel mags. Run well with no problem. I changed out the mag followers with greem followers though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i wouln't use either. spend the 3 extra cents and buy something of quality.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have Type65 30 round blued steel mags. Run well with no problem. I changed out the mag followers with greem followers though.

I have a bunch of the SA80 mags that work 100%.  I changed out the followers on some as I had some extras, but the original black followers work well too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i wouln't use either. spend the 3 extra cents and buy something of quality.

What was the major problem you had with these mags?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are for us guys stuck in states where we still need pre-bans
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a bunch of the SA80 mags that work 100%.  I changed out the followers on some as I had some extras, but the original black followers work well too.

Same here.
The steel mags are built much better than the USGI aluminum mags.

I compared the back feed slot between the steel and the aluminum USGI and the steel were definitely better made.  However, they do rust very easily and the black followers are very soft.  I've already spent $8 per mag to have them re-parkerized and GunKoted, so I may pay the extra $ for new followers and springs CProducts sells kits).  By then, these will be $31 mags, though.

I would wait for the CProducts stainless steel mags with a licensed version of the MagPul GenII follower.  $25 per mag is pretty nice for what you'll get.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.
The steel mags are built much better than the USGI aluminum mags.

I compared the back feed slot between the steel and the aluminum USGI and the steel were definitely better made.  However, they do rust very easily and the black followers are very soft.  I've already spent $8 per mag to have them re-parkerized and GunKoted, so I may pay the extra $ for new followers and springs CProducts sells kits).  By then, these will be $31 mags, though.

I would wait for the CProducts stainless steel mags with a licensed version of the MagPul GenII follower.  $25 per mag is pretty nice for what you'll get.

If I were in the market today for good mags I would buy the USGI as the price and availability are great right now, but a few years ago the SA80 mags satisfied those requirements very well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my steel mags.  I get the SA 80 mags from rguns* and put Magpul followers in them.  I only have about $10.25 a piece in them, and have yet to have a jam out of them.  I've had to fit two of the mag catch slots, but the rest are fine.  I know must folks like the aluminium mags for the weight, but I'm not hiking very far with mine anytime soon.  I'm convinced that the steel's are made better.  I have yet to have a cracked feed lip on one.  I have three GI mags that the feed lips are shot on.  I have used them in full and semi fire.  

* some folks have had bad experiences with rguns; however, I have yet to have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I absolutely love my steel english mags.  They are MUCH stronger than USGI aluminum.  They take abuse like no other.  I replaced all the followers with Magpul Gen 2 ORANGE & painted them with matte balck rustoleum....

here is the "before"....

and here is the "after"...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nice job.  Those look really good!

TS  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought 20 of the T-65's before the aluminum GI mags prices fell. They work fine and do feel better than the aluminum gi's. I installed mag pul followers before ever using them so I can't speak for the original flimsy black followers. I did have to return 2 that had low mag catch holes and have heard of others with same problem. I've had no problems with rust and am impressed with the deep blueing of these mags. All of my mag purchases lately have been D&H teflon coated mags wich I'm also happy with. I'll likely buy more T-65's though in the future even if the prices are about the same now for GI.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I see that a few of you managed to get the MapPul Gen II followers to work in these mags.
I started to install them today, but about 50% were experiencing problems.  Mostly, they wouldn't rise up all the way to the top on an empty mag.  Put in USGI green followers in the meantime.

Any suggestions on getting these to work?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The magpul followers are tight at first.  Once I have them in the mag, I get a ruler or a stick of some kind, and cycle the follower several times.  The finish on the inside of the mag is pretty rough.  Once the follower is cycled some, the finish and follower "break in" to each other.  Oh, when you push the follower all the way down, let it spring back up into place.  This allows the follower to get set at the top of the mag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The magpul followers are tight at first.  Once I have them in the mag, I get a ruler or a stick of some kind, and cycle the follower several times.  The finish on the inside of the mag is pretty rough.  Once the follower is cycled some, the finish and follower "break in" to each other.  Oh, when you push the follower all the way down, let it spring back up into place.  This allows the follower to get set at the top of the mag.

I cycled mine, with a ruler, several dozen times.

The problem may be that I had the mags re-parkerized and GunKoted (they were rusting).  This may have added some dimension to the inside of the mags.  I even sprayed a little dry moly lube into the mag before assembly, just to ease things along.  Still not working 100%.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Could be the Gunkote.  None of my mags gave any trouble once cycled through.  Might want to try a little 400 grit in the tight spots.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top